Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:11 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I might just do that lemon chicken....I recently watched that episode of Ina where she visits RAO in NYC and the chef makes their lemon chicken. I don't know if I'm more excited for the lemon taste or the black charred bits of chicken skin.....I love 'em both!

27 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:19 pm

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:I might just do that lemon chicken....I recently watched that episode of Ina where she visits RAO in NYC and the chef makes their lemon chicken.  I don't know if I'm more excited for the lemon taste or the black charred bits of chicken skin.....I love 'em both!

I saw that too and went online and got her recipe right away. It wasn't long before Cook's Illustrated came out with their recipe, explaining that Rao's recipe couldn't be duplicated at home because of their high-temp broiler, known as a salamander (the name escaped me and I had to go online to remind myself as well!). The CI recipe seemed to take pains to make their recipe as "Rao-like" as they could for the home cook. And it was indeed very, very good. We just talked about making it again earlier in the week...

P.S. Those "black charred bits" are why I like the flavor of roasted peppers so much...

28 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:28 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Actually, I was thinking of doing some boneless, skin-on chicken thighs (because it's my favorite grilling piece of chicken) and trying to improvise with the lemon and charring and then ending up in the lemon butter. Probably will add a bit of the garden thyme and tarragon....maybe some other stuff.

But that recipe is the basis for what I'll be messin' around with!

(I just reminded myself of those cooking sites that ask for a rating on their recipe and the poster says, "I give it one star out of five. I subbed pork chops for the chicken and changed the rosemary for some Cajun sprinkle seasoning. Mine didn't look anything like the original posted recipe.....")

Hahahahaha

29 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Crybaby

avatar
bethk wrote:Actually, I was thinking of doing some boneless, skin-on chicken thighs (because it's my favorite grilling piece of chicken) and trying to improvise with the lemon and charring and then ending up in the lemon butter.  Probably will add a bit of the garden thyme and tarragon....maybe some other stuff.

But that recipe is the basis for what I'll be messin' around with!

(I just reminded myself of those cooking sites that ask for a rating on their recipe and the poster says, "I give it one star out of five.  I subbed pork chops for the chicken and changed the rosemary for some Cajun sprinkle seasoning.  Mine didn't look anything like the original posted recipe.....") Hahahahaha

I love thighs, too. Just had Brian get some of those boneless thighs for the freezer, as they were -- wait! -- $.79 a pound! I think I told you he picked up a boneless chuck roast last week which we thoroughly enjoyed, as it was on sale for $3.49/lb., pretty cheap considering beef prices lately. He bought another one for the freezer yesterday as the same grocery had it on sale for $2.99/lb.

He also paid too much for some grocery store ribeyes that he picked up for beef stroganoff. You guys have all been talking about that dish lately and it has always been one of Brian's favorites so when I mentioned making it to him, his eyes lit up, I swear! Plus I just got some nice semolina tagliatelle noodles that will be super with it. We're having leftovers tonight (boiled in beer and then grilled bratwurst which we had in browned submarine buns with sautéed onions, garlic and three colors of green peppers -- boy, were they good) so the stroganoff will probably be on tomorrow's dinner menu. The poor man has to wait another day...

30 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:37 pm

NormM

avatar
In order to use up some sausage I made a few months ago, I made cassolet.
In addition I use ham hocks instead of pork shoulder because I just wanted to.


http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

31 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Crybaby

avatar
Looks divine, Norm! Made my mouth water...

32 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Looks great Norm. My eye's are watering. Only because Of tears because I cant have some.

33 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:24 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Looks like 'our' myacoba (sp?) beans....love those!

Looks like a nice old fashioned FRENCH country dish to me!

seriously goo looking!

34 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 pm

NormM

avatar
Thanks. I can't find those beans here in KC. I used navy beans.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

35 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Oddly enough, I find them in the Hispanic section at WalMart.....go figure!

36 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:Thanks.  I can't find those beans here in KC. I used navy beans.


Norm...do you have a Goya products in any of the stores near you?
The also called "Canary" beans look very interesting.
If we have them here, Tina can pick them up, and I'll send them to you.
No problem....


37 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:13 am

NormM

avatar
Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I'll check out a few more places.  We do have Goya products here and there is a Mexican grocery just a few blocks from here. I didn't know they were also called Canary beans, and I seldom grocery shop at Walmart.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

38 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I'll check out a few more places.  We do have Goya products here and there is a Mexican grocery just a few blocks from here. I didn't know they were also called Canary beans, and I seldom grocery shop at Walmart.


Walmart in different area's carry different things according to ethnic
populations. A lot of Dutch / Russian / Ukranian / Farms / and m&m packers...( which btw they are thinking of moving operations to Kansas ) in my north west end of the state .

Tina drives East 35 minutes to Parsippany for Oriental or Dover stores for Latino ......

39 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:40 pm

NormM

avatar
Junction City, where I lived while teaching, had the first Walmart store in Kansas. I'll be at Walmart today. I will check again. I got some mayonnaise in the Spanish food section recently and it was better, in my opinion, than Hellman's.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

40 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:10 pm

NormM

avatar
I wasn't looking hard enough for those beans. Walmart had them. Then were in a smaller package and different brand than I was expecting, but they were there. I also stopped at the Mexican grocery on the way back and they had Goya Canary beans as well.Walmart had 15 to 20 times more Latin food than they did Asian food BTW.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

41 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:I wasn't looking hard enough for those beans.  Walmart had them.  Then were in a smaller package and different brand than I was expecting, but they were there.  I also stopped at the Mexican grocery on the way back and they had Goya Canary beans as well.Walmart had 15 to 20 times more Latin food than they did Asian food BTW.

Good to hear that you found them Norm.
NOW...we can sing..." Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot!" .....You all know the rest.

42 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:37 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I swear, Jimmy, Tina's going to have that etched in your tombstone!

43 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Lunch? Where??.... in New York City! ....... WHERE????????,...........................

IN NEW YORK CITY!....
And where at in New York City???.... At a place ( elete ) called Circo's

$150.00 for 2 slices of egg plant .... a slice of fish in wine sauce + $27.00 to park the car for 3 hours.

Tina went as a riding shotgun with the next door woman. She ( the woman ) had to deliver a watch for this auction house. She felt better if someone would go with her.....
They were by Trump Plaza and took the grand tour. Lunch specials were only $25.00 per person at Trumps. LOL......

Any way... she's home, and I just tasted the egg plant she didn't eat. Haaaa My mouth is burning from the bitterness in the egg plant and loaded with seeds, but I couldn't finish the over abundant ricotta cheese that they dolloped on top. Maybe a teaspoon of it; if that! LOL.....

Tina had to get a kick out of a woman that just stands there, and opens the door to access the bathroom. ..... hahahah i said, "Did you give her a tip?" Tina said, "No because she was in my way and I had to go aside of her to fit in the door way!" LOL

I wouldn't eat there, if my mother came outa the grave and was the cook there! I would tell them...."push her back in the grave!"

Anyway.... Live & Learn huh?

44 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:00 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
No way could I waste that much $$$$$ on 'lunch'.

I'm way too cheeeeeep!

45 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:No way could I waste that much $$$$$ on 'lunch'.

I'm way too cheeeeeep!  

That's what I said.

It wasn't Tina's choice. The friend she went with wanted to try it.

She picked up the tab too. Tina offered to pay the tip, but no way Jose. No
Tina would never had eaten there.


We went to a restaurant once, medium priced Italian.
That was it when the waitress came over to add the grated cheese on my ziti and sausage. And even asked if I wanted pepper. I told her" I puta myself".
Tina was like mortified. Embarassed

46 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:58 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Yup, I can see her face now......LOL

47 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:10 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
I've been hungry for lemon scones for weeks.....didn't want to bake when Dane was here as he's still counting his carbs/calories. Even though he's not a big fan of scones, I have a feeling the fragrance of 'somethin' in the oven' would get to him. So, since he's NOT HERE I took the opportunity to satisfy my hunger ~



I finally messed with the recipe and got the more pronounced lemon flavor I wanted....just added some lemon extract along with zest to the dough and then topped the crunchy sugar topping with a lemon glaze made with lemon juice.

But now I'm looking for a really good 'cookie-like' texture lemon scone. (Don't laugh) You know, like the ones the grocery store bakeries sell. Anyone have a recipe?

48 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:I've been hungry for lemon scones for weeks.....didn't want to bake when Dane was here as he's still counting his carbs/calories.  Even though he's not a big fan of scones, I have a feeling the fragrance of 'somethin' in the oven' would get to him.  So, since he's NOT HERE I took the opportunity to satisfy my hunger ~



I finally messed with the recipe and got the more pronounced lemon flavor I wanted....just added some lemon extract along with zest to the dough and then topped the crunchy sugar topping with a lemon glaze made with lemon juice.

But now I'm looking for a really good 'cookie-like' texture lemon scone.  (Don't laugh)  You know, like the ones the grocery store bakeries sell.  Anyone have a recipe?

They look great Beth! ..... Now I don't know what you mean by "cookie like?"
Do you mean like .... Welch Cookies type texture??
Tina has a great recipe for scones. She adds currents to her's ....

49 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:10 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
my scones are more loose....like a biscuit. I want something that is more dense....like a lightened up shortbread cookie. IDK ~ difficult to explain.

50 Re: BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BRUNCH FOR JULY 2016 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:my scones are more loose....like a biscuit.  I want something that is more dense....like a lightened up shortbread cookie.  IDK ~ difficult to explain.

OK.... Sounds like the ones tina has. I'll post it when she gets back later.
I like them because they dont crumble apart like Irish Soda Bread.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum