Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 19]

426JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

FUDGE???????

You didn't say you had FUDGE !!!! I love me some good fudge. Where'd you get fudge from?

Man, now you got me goin'......if this craving doesn't go away when I'm sleeping, I'll have to make a special trip to the local ice cream / candy shop and get me a piece of Rocky Road Fudge tomorrow.

427JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:FUDGE???????

You didn't say you had FUDGE !!!!   I love me some good fudge.  Where'd you get fudge from?

Man, now you got me goin'......if this craving doesn't go away when I'm sleeping, I'll have to make a special trip to the local ice cream / candy shop and get me a piece of Rocky Road Fudge tomorrow.

Tina was on her way to her friends to bring her a wood wishing well for her garden.
They are into that stuff; and birdhouses by the 30 some.
She stopped in this bakery and bagel shoppe in Succasunna. Yes! That's the name of the town! ( Leni Lenape Native American name for "Land of Black Stones" which was rich in "Iron Ore!"). She brought bagels to her friends, and picked up some vanilla nut fudge for herself, and 1/4 Lb. piece of chocolate walnut for me.

OMG.... It is the best fudge We had ever tasted. Tina is a fudge fanatic.

The fudge was so creamy and unbelievably, not sweet. Or gritty. I hate gritty fudge. I almost finished the entire 1/4 pound; it was so good.

Now Tina makes that "Never Fail Fudge, which I think it's made with that marshmallow whip, and eagle brand sweetened condensed milk. ? ? I think?

428JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Niagara Visitor

I am at Uncle Ernie's place again! (Hubby's 83 year old uncle) Some other family members are here, right on the water on the Trent Waterway (Havelock, ONtario)

Last night I made a rabbit dinner, uncle Ernie's favourite.  Tonight I am making bacon wrapped scallops and a salad, we have sausages to grill, and potato salad.  Lots of stuff to eat.

429JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I am at Uncle Ernie's place again! (Hubby's 83 year old uncle) Some other family members are here, right on the water on the Trent Waterway (Havelock, ONtario)

Last night I made a rabbit dinner, uncle Ernie's favourite.  Tonight I am making bacon wrapped scallops and a salad, we have sausages to grill, and potato salad.  Lots of stuff to eat.

Sounds great Lore..... Go chow down, and enjoy.

430JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner is on the grill ....Tina literally threw sausage onions and peppers on the grill, and covered with foil. They are actually boiling to beat the band as I say!
I don't like boiled sausage and peppers. I just took the foil off to get it to brown. The peppers are mush....

431JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

This is my husband's creation. He called it a Godzilla Burger.JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 <a href=JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 IMG_0189" />

432JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:This is my husband's creation. He called it a Godzilla Burger.JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 <a href=JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 IMG_0189" />

I call that, a challenge burger.... A Challenge to eat it ..........

433JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Dinner is on the grill ....Tina literally threw sausage onions and peppers on the grill, and covered with foil. They are actually boiling to beat the band as I say!
I don't like boiled sausage and peppers. I just took the foil off to get it to brown. The peppers are mush....

Did you do ALL the onions & peppers? Well, OF COURSE you did.....so sorry, Jimmy. The only way you like the mushy veg is when it gets all cooked down with the potatoes ~ and we know how good that is!

I made some macaroni salad this afternoon. Sliced up a couple tomatoes and found a couple 'New England' buns to go with my broiled Nathan's. Now I'm stuffed and I don't want to do the rest of the work I planned to do after supper tonight...

Oh, well, there's always tomorrow.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 IMG_20160730_175321838

434JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:This is my husband's creation. He called it a Godzilla Burger.

Good Gawd, Bugs! That is HUGE.....please tell me he had to cut it to eat it! LOL It looks like there must be a full pound of meat between that bun, along with 1/3# of melted cheese.....wow!

Great that you were able to post it. Thanks for sharing!

435JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I am at Uncle Ernie's place again! (Hubby's 83 year old uncle) Some other family members are here, right on the water on the Trent Waterway (Havelock, ONtario)

I always love to hear you've made your rabbit dinner ~ what a nice thing to do for Uncle Ernie ~ especially since it's not something he could get if he went out to eat with anyone else. When you grill sausages, what kind do you put on?

436JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:48 pm

NormM

NormM

Recently, I saw a recipe for cassolet that said it wasn't a recipe, really, but rather a dish for neighboring French towns to argue over. Korean fried chicken is kind of the same way. I tried yet another version today. After I finished, Charlie tossed them in one of the dipping sauces I made and fried them again for a minute or two. We had rice, kimchi, salad and strawberry shortcake with them.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 DSCN3674_zpsazxugvcv

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

437JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I call 'dibbs' on all the flappers! Those look amazing, Norm. I'll bet there were no leftovers tonight.

438JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:29 pm

NormM

NormM

There were a few left overs.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

439JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:42 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:

I always love to hear you've made your rabbit dinner ~ what a nice thing to do for Uncle Ernie ~ especially since it's not something he could get if he went out to eat with anyone else.  When you grill sausages, what kind do you put on?  
Sausages were not remarkable.  some hot dogs,and something smoked, Scallops were amazing, and there were/was also a very large zuccinni(from somebody's garden)  done on the grill.  Geannie hollowed it out, then mixed the "stuff" with some procetta, cheese, red pepper, a bit of EVOO, s/p and some other magic spices, stuffed that all back into the hollowed out zuccini. That was done on the grill until the stuffing was done, cheese melted.  It was delish.  could have been on the grill a little longer so the top was a bit crisp, but still good.

440JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:51 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Zucchini a plenty, and all talk about cooking them, but they sit on the counter, rotting into mushy rotten growths...

Example....Tina said, Ohh! I'm gonna cube one, and cook it in tomatoes with pieces of sausage and little tiny meatballs.... HELLOoooooooo!!!!... Neva Happened!

In the summer, we always had them, and we generally just seeded and cubed them, and either boiled or fried them. The yellow or orange ones, were usually peeled, boiled and mashed like mashed potatoes. Gagoots.... That's what we called them. hahahahaha... Gagoots with cheese and garlic, or gagoots with macaroni of some type. Usually shells, or farfalle ( bow ties )!

It didn't happen yet, but I dread the massive amount of Zucchini bread the girls and neighbors will start making. I mean, I like to have some, but it gets to the point that they are coming from all over.

441JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:59 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:OMG ~ they were to die for! Now, it could be that I don't do white potatoes often, and deep fried in oil even more seldom, but I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed such a simple dish so much.

I had grilled pork steak and grilled asparagus as sides to my potatoes.......

Boy, those potatoes really looked good, Beth. Your whole plate looked delicious!

442JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:10 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I hope you are accepted in the transplant program, Michelle, and that everything works out.

One of my friends from church and school (many, many years ago) is now in his late 60's.  He was in Dallas for months with his son waiting for a new heart....his wife stayed in their home in Ohio to take care of the home.  A couple weeks ago he got the call that he was on for the transplant and they prepped him only to find out the donor heart was not viable to use.  One week later he got the same call and he got his new heart (on his granddaughter's birthday!) and was out of ICU in three short days.  He said it was amazing to have a pulse again after being on machines for such a long time.  He's feeling great, looks great in the pics the family posts of him and is looking forward to returning home soon and living his life with all the gusto he can imagine.

His doctors say even they are amazed at the things they can do.  Even a few short years ago there wouldn't have been an option open to people like you, Michelle.  But now there are so many miracles that happen every day.  Prayers for you, Michelle.  

Great story to hear. I'm glad things worked out well for him, too. Especially since he had waited so long.

Thanks for the prayers, B. Yep, options are there and new ones happen all the time. I sure hope they happen for me. Years ago, they would tell people with PH to just go home, sit on the sofa and get your affairs in order. So I'm already luckier than lots...

Say, how's it going with your new machine? Are you sleeping better at night now, Beth? I sure hope so. I've not slept as good at that first night on the oxygen; as you can see, I'm awake now but my back is bothering me; I was having a hard time getting comfortable when I woke up every hour so I decided to sit up for a while and check out you guys! Still not comfy but it's better to have a distraction if I'm hurting.

443JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:23 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Now Tina makes that "Never Fail Fudge, which I think it's made with that marshmallow whip, and eagle brand sweetened condensed milk. ? ? I think?

I can make that kind of fudge -- the kind with the marshmallows. It's good, don't get me wrong, but the other harder kind I like better. I have never been able to get that type of fudge to set up for me. It's been since I was living at home growing up since I've tried but I tried a zillion times and got fed up. About 9 months ago, I got a recipe from the Internet and printed it out, along with TWO PAGES of reviews with suggestions and hints on how to make it turn out. But I'm still too chicken to try it again and FAIL!!

Beth, do you make that kind of fudge? I call it "real fudge" with no offense to those who make theirs with marshmallows...

444JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:27 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I made some macaroni salad this afternoon.  Sliced up a couple tomatoes and found a couple 'New England' buns to go with my broiled Nathan's.  Now I'm stuffed and I don't want to do the rest of the work I planned to do after supper tonight...

Oh, well, there's always tomorrow.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 IMG_20160730_175321838

Boy, this looked good, B.  Looked like summer on a plate...

445JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:31 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

So, Bugster, you forgot to tell us the best part...  Was Joe able to finish his Godzilla burger?  I'm dying to know.

446JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:00 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
I can make that kind of fudge -- the kind with the marshmallows.  It's good, don't get  me wrong, but the other harder kind I like better.  I have never been able to get that type of fudge to set up for me.  It's been since I was living at home growing up since I've tried but I tried a zillion times and got fed up.   About 9 months ago, I got a recipe from the Internet and printed it out, along with TWO PAGES of reviews with suggestions and hints on how to make it turn out.  But I'm still too chicken to try it again and FAIL!!  

Beth, do you make that kind of fudge?  I call it "real fudge" with no offense to those who make theirs with marshmallows...

I don't make fudge......I BUY it! LOL

Last time I attempted to make 'real' fudge ~ the kind you boil to the soft-ball stage (gotta use a candy thermometer) and then stir and beat and stir and beat with a wooden spoon.....well, I don't think my thermometer was accurate and I broke my wooden spoon, and it stuck in the pan even though it was well buttered....and STILL ended up with sugar crystals. It got tossed, pan and all.

So much easier to find places that have perfected their recipe and do it right ~ I try to only buy one or two pieces at a time. A quarter pound can be gone before I make it back to the house! Hahahahahaha!

By the way, Bugster, I, too, want to know if your DH was able to eat that monster or did the burger 'win'? LOL

447JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:42 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes, Joe ate the whole burger and paid for it dearly, all night long with trips to the Maalox bottle. He said if there is a next time, he will eat it at noon.

Fudge is tricky stuff. You have to take into account the weather and the altitude. I am 1000 feet above sea level which means my candy reaches the soft-ball stage sooner. Most of the time I am not successful with fudge so when I want some I use the marshmallow crème recipe. It is hard to screw that one up but I have.

448JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I believe, the cooling of the fudge mixture, has just as much importance as the cooking temperature.
I remember one time when we visited this fudge shoppe in Intercourse, PA, at a place called Kitchen Kettle Village.... We watched them from start to finish, how they made the fudge.
They used a big copper kettle to cook on a gas flame burner, and when done, the guy spread it on a marble slab to cool; while he moved it around on the marble slab.
When we came out of that store, we bought like 4 pounds of different fudge flavors.

Tina likes vanilla / maple / or butterscotch flavor. Me! ....I'm a chocolate nuts fan.

http://www.plfudge.com/    Check out the price$.... whooooo eeeee!!!

449JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

In an effort to try to get someone to try to make fudge and tell me how it came out  Rolling Eyes , I  will post the recipe I recently got, along with the umpteen hints people gave who had tried it and who claimed they KNEW how to make fudge.  When you see the amount of "hints" afterward, I guess you will know one of two things:  One, I would really, really, really like to be successful at making what I call REAL fudge, and two, how MANY things can go wrong.

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Makes 18 to 24 squares.  Recipe from Allrecipes.com.

2 cups white sugar  
1/2 cup cocoa  
1 cup milk  
4 tablespoons butter  
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Grease an 8x8 inch square baking pan. Set aside.
2. Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in a medium saucepan. Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer. Do not stir again.
3. Place candy thermometer in pan and cook until temperature reaches 238°F (114 degrees C). If you are not using a thermometer, then cook until a drop of this mixture in a cup of cold water forms a soft ball. Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency. It should flatten when pressed between your fingers.
4. Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine and vanilla extract. Beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge loses its sheen. Do not under beat.
5. Pour into prepared pan and let cool. Cut into about 18 to 24 squares.

Notes from reviews:  
• One sugar crystal in the pot after it is cooked will ruin the candy. I always make sure that I take a wet paper towel and wipe down the sides of the pot after the mixture comes to a boil to remove any undissolved sugar; I never put a spoon into the mixture after it comes to a boil (it might have sugar crystals on it) and I never stir or move the fudge after it is cooked (do not stir the butter and vanilla into it until it is cooled to at least 115°F). Then, and only then, beat like mad until it loses its gloss and then pour it quickly into your pan. It shouldn't take a long time to reach the desired temperature if the size of the pot is large enough.
• IMPORTANT - chemistry says add 1 tsp of corn syrup (or something with corn syrup in it like marshmallow) to help prevent crystallization of the sugar. I've also found buttering the sides of sauce pan will help the fudge not form crystals and come out creamy. Heat this recipe slowly on medium heat, as it will burn if you heat it too fast. I heat my fudge to exactly 236°F and quickly put it into the sink of cool water until it gets to 110°F (or about to where you can hold the pan in your lap without burning your legs through jeans). My mom and grandmother always say "Don't scrape the sides much at all," and I think that also has to do with crystallization. After 110°F, beat the fudge until it loses its gloss and you notice "something different" in terms of thickening. I'm sorry I can't tell you more, but you'll get it once you do it. Fudge sets within about 90 seconds, so this part takes practice! if it doesn't set you can just throw it back into the pot and try the same thing again as is (reheating to 236°F and adding 1/4 cup more milk). This recipe doesn't make much, but I don't recommend trying to make two batches at a time unless you've made this several times. Make your second batch separately, you can use the practice.
• To clean the pot, add some milk and reheat it, while swirling it around and scraping the sides. It will all come off and you will end up with the best mug of chocolate you’ve ever had. And an utterly clean pot. I recently had a $5 mug of hot chocolate a local luxury chocolatier, and it was indistinguishable from the one I made last night with all the leftovers in the pot. Why soak it with soapy water when you can make yourself a free mug of utterly decadent hot chocolate?
• And this time I wanted it to be JUST a hair softer than before, so I took it off of the heat sooner. Too soon. It took forever to set. Both times I took it off of the heat and immediately added the butter, mixed it in, and then added the vanilla. The first time it didn't take too long to beat the sheen off of it. The second time it wasn't done, but I'm SO glad I didn't give up and throw it out! I got out my hand mixer and just mixed and mixed it...I'm guessing I mixed it for at least 20 minutes until it lost its sheen! I kept going because I could tell that as it cooled it was thickening. The second time was much softer, and not as good as the first at all. But still worth the effort. I make mine on an electric flat top stove with a thermometer and the cold water test-no stirring after it comes to a boil. I just wanted to list both of my experiences in case somebody was tempted to throw out your fudge if it didn't seem to be setting.
• As others have stated, you must leave it to cool to 110°F before adding butter and vanilla and then beating.
• This is that old recipe I've been looking for! From start to finish (i.e., eating it), it took an hour and a half. Be patient, and note that the times aren't given in the recipe. Expect to spend about 10 minutes getting to a boil while stirring, about 20-30 minutes of simmering to get to 238°F, another 20 minutes to cool down, and another 5-10 minutes of stirring. It didn't lose a lot of sheen, but it got so thick and I just got so tired of stirring that I poured it in the pan. It set immediately. I think the times will differ for everyone depending on several variables i.e., the stove temp, the weather, etc. Just be patient. It's worth it to have REAL fudge again. I think even vendors that pride themselves on "homemade" fudge are using the marshmallow/chip recipe. It is so nice to go back to basics. Thank you for posting this recipe!
• This fudge is delicious and not too difficult to make. The instructions are, however, a bit misleading. Step 2 tells you to "reduce heat and simmer." This will not work. You can't reach the temperature of 238°F while simmering. I went online after 20 minutes without a temperature change and found others calling for a "boil" during the heating process. Once I upped the heat, I had the temperature in 10 additional minutes. You should not need to cook the fudge longer than 15 minutes to get it to 238°F. Would be nice, too, if there was a bit more description on what "loses its sheen" means. Mine barely changed at all after 20 minutes of beating the daylights out of it and I poured it onto the pan. Set up fine and turned out perfect. There should also be an instruction not to start the beating until the temperature of the fudge drops to about 115°F.
• Wonderful recipe, I love that it can be made with just a few ingredients that even a beginner usually has. Just need to re-emphasize a few things. Combine the sugar, cocoa and milk before heating the mixture. This not only saves time and vigilance watching the mixture boil but brakes down the sugar crystals (to an extent) before they can threaten to transform into chocolate toffee but also makes the initial stirring easier and less necessary. Using this method the second time, I attempted this recipe.  The fudge almost boiled out of the pot, and would have if not for quick reflexes and a bigger pot handy. Now I use the rising process to indicate when to turn down the heat. Testing the consistency without a thermometer can be tricky but an easier way to gain a visual indication is to drip a bit in a glass/bowl of water and rather than testing its buoyancy, if it does not go cloudy it is usually fine, however I wait until the drop floats for the best consistency. To re-emphasis what other members have stated, wait until the pot cools before adding the butter and vanilla. Again not using a thermometer, a good indication is when you can touch the pot without immediately removing your hand. Quick work is needed for the final mixing and poring ready to set. There is no real difference with brown or white sugar. The result is defiantly worth the sore hand. 1.So again, Mix before heating. 2.If its cloudy, it’s not ready. 3.Let it cool before adding the final ingredients.

I know this is the wrong area for this but wanted to make sure all of you saw it so you could teach me how to make real fudge!!!

Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

450JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 18 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I'll give the recipe a try but I warn you I will probably fail.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum