Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 17 of 19]

401 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Interesting about the sarcoid. I lost touch with the lady who got it  from Fen-Fen but the 30 year old was a policeman and he got a double lung transplant. It has been over 10 years and he was able to go back to work within months. He is still doing fine. My SIL's sister's husband had a liver transplant three years ago. His liver failed because of his weight. He was close to 400lbs. He lost the weight but it was too late for his liver. He is doing very well although he doesn't work. Employers tend to shy away from transplant people. He is now at a normal weight, feels terrific, exercises every day. As scary as they sound, transplants can and do work miracles. PITA though with all of those pills you have to take.

I know, and I hate taking pills.  Up until my hospitalization recently for pneumonia, I didn't take any prescription medication at all except the pain pills for my back (and, of course, I have the pic line feeding me meds 24/7).  Now I take 2 Rxs and OTC magnesium once a day and two of them twice a day.  One is a horse pill, I swear.  I don't know why they can't prescribe a smaller milligram pill and just have me take two of 'em!  And now oxygen at night, too.  Boy, I sure must sound like an old lady, talking about my malady and how many pills I take.  Forgive me everyone!

402 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:04 pm

NormM

I have to take several pills everyday. Good steaks were on sale for half price so that is what we had along with baked potato and leftover green beans. We also had strawberries with whipped cream and angel food cake.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

403 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:20 pm

bethk

Admin
I hope you are accepted in the transplant program, Michelle, and that everything works out.

One of my friends from church and school (many, many years ago) is now in his late 60's. He was in Dallas for months with his son waiting for a new heart....his wife stayed in their home in Ohio to take care of the home. A couple weeks ago he got the call that he was on for the transplant and they prepped him only to find out the donor heart was not viable to use. One week later he got the same call and he got his new heart (on his granddaughter's birthday!) and was out of ICU in three short days. He said it was amazing to have a pulse again after being on machines for such a long time. He's feeling great, looks great in the pics the family posts of him and is looking forward to returning home soon and living his life with all the gusto he can imagine.

His doctors say even they are amazed at the things they can do. Even a few short years ago there wouldn't have been an option open to people like you, Michelle. But now there are so many miracles that happen every day. Prayers for you, Michelle.

404 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has pleurisy and it is very painful when it flares up. The pulmonologist said there is a virus that is always in her body. When she gets a cold or bronchial irritation, it is likely the virus will infect her lungs.

She is 70 but has the lungs of a 95 year old person. The breath test shows that, plus the air capacity is too little in volume. She had Scarlet Fever when she was 5, and they said, that was something that creates the virus to do damage when it flares up.

405 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Beans on toast were a British staple during and after the war when meat was scarce. It was a good source of protein. Even today many of the poor Brits still eat it.

I'm with you Jimmy: only the original Bush's. They are the best ones to jazz up.

Thinking of Beans... I thought of something funny.
We ate a few cans of beans within a two week period.
Generally, beans are gassy ( creates flatulence) . Epecially if you eat them more frequently than we did....... Now!  Mom would cut onions in half, and the again to make a bunch of like onion scoops, or spoons. We would have a bowl of beans, and scoop up a onion spoon full of the beans, and yummy into the tummy.

An couple hours later... there would be a contest ( sort of, but not declared ) and one toot was answered by another toot from someone else. Truthfully, it was a game among dad and us two boys.... It's a Man Thing!!.....Mom wasn't too happy about it, but with the Stanley Perfumed crystals inside the couch and under the cushions, The scent covered a lot of odors.

Now, we kids got a lot of laughs out of it, and it was better to have us under control, than off like a couple of snot nosed brats...

Years later..... Jimmy meets Tina, and is dating her. Now Jimmy still eats beans, but very few. I knew the results, and I didn't want to display my pig-ish-ness ( that's a new word ) by tooting wind in front of this girl.

After marrying this Girl, after the honeymoon, I now figure, "Hmm, I guess it's ok to go back to Mans things and stuff!" Let me try a little toot, and see what she says / thinks. I mean, come on. I'm not gonna run 30 feet away just to keep her from hearing a natures toot.

Well.... I let out a little tweet; just as a test... All of a sudden, she says,"Don't you have to visit the bathroom?" I said, "For what?" She said, "To let that air out!"
I said, "I can't see why, and what is the difference here or there?"

She said, ( and I could not believe this ) "When we had to make wind, LOL
we ALWAYS did it in the bathroom!" She said,"We were never allowed to just pass wind in other area's other than a bathroom!"

I could never believe that..... Never!  Strange that her Mother and family had to hide the wind tunes in the bathroom. I guess they thought it would disappear magically down the plumbing fixtures.

Oh! and I don't know how true this is, but my mom used to sprinkle baking soda on beans or broccoli while heating or cooking, to cut down on the gas.???

406 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:37 am

bethk

Admin
Oh, how very typical~you wait until AFTER you marry the girl to let her know you're the Tooting King! Sounds to me like she could have gotten that marriage annulled for lack of proper disclosure. LOL
Men!

407 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:51 am

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Oh, how very typical~you wait until AFTER you marry the girl to let her know you're the Tooting King!  Sounds to me like she could have gotten that marriage annulled for lack of proper disclosure.  LOL
Men!

408 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Bugster2

Jimmy, since Joe and I have known each other since we were 13, there is nothing we don't know about each other. He lets them fly whenever Katie is out of earshot. We both laugh. We say crude things to each other. One time when we were dating we had a car with electric windows. He released some noxious vapors and held his hands over the window switches so I was trapped. He laughed his head off. He also has a nasty habit of letting a loud rasp out in a store and saying "Debbie!" blaming the whole thing on me.
I will say that no one I know ever breaks wind in front of their spouse. It simply isn't done. Well, I am the very blackest of sheep in the family and I think life is too short to worry about toots. They make me laugh and I have very little to laugh about these days.

409 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Bugster2

I just found something cool on the net: a marshmallow conversion chart!

410 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:06 pm

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:I just found something cool on the net: a marshmallow conversion chart!

converted to what ????

411 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, since Joe and I have known each other since we were 13, there is nothing we don't know about each other. He lets them fly whenever Katie is out of earshot. We both laugh. We say crude things to each other. One time when we were dating we had a car with electric windows. He released some noxious vapors and held his hands over the window switches so I was trapped. He laughed his head off. He also has a nasty habit of letting a loud rasp out in a store and saying "Debbie!" blaming the whole thing on me.
I will say that no one I know ever breaks wind in front of their spouse. It simply isn't done. Well, I am the very blackest of sheep in the family and I think life is too short to worry about toots. They make me laugh and I have very little to laugh about these days.

Oh Gosh....so funny!

My daughter is a gasser. God love her, but she is always suffering with flatulence. But what she does, and it really pi$$es of Tina, is she will haaaaja lift a leg, aim the outlet at Tina, and pop a loud one; while pointing her index finger and thumb in the hand gun gesture..
Tina gets violently upset. I don't even do that. ( Sometimes I would like to )

412 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Bugster2

1 regular marshmallow = .25 ounces = 14 mini marshmallows
8 regular marshmallows = 1 cup
1 cup mini marshmallows = 2 ounces = 8 regular marshmallows
1 jumbo marshmallow = 1 ounce = 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1 jumbo marshmallow = 4 regular marshmallow

1 (10 ounce bag) mini marshmallows = 6 cups
1 (10 ounce bag) mini marshmallows = 40 regular marshmallows
1 (16 ounce bag) mini marshmallows = 8 1/2 cups
1 (16 ounce bag) regular marshmallows = 63 marshmallows

7 ounces marshmallow creme/Fluff = heaping 1 1/2 cups
1 cup marshmallow creme/Fluff = 4 ounces
1/2 cup marshmallow creme/Fluff = 1 cup mini marshmallows
18 ounce tub marshmallow Fluff = 3 1/2 cups

413 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Bugster2

We don't exactly aim the orifice at each other....

414 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Bugster2

I made a 6-inch mandarin orange meringue pie last night. I forgot to add the butter so the filling was a little rubbery. Didn't matter I guess because Joe and Katie ate the whole thing.

Today I am going to make pecan pie shots (mini desserts) I am going to copy a Seasons 52 recipe. The bottom half is vanilla bean mousse. Trouble is I haven't tasted one yet so I don't really know what kind of mousse recipe to use. I have vanilla bean made with eggs and egg whites (just can't see a restaurant going to that much trouble) another made with white chocolate and vanilla bean and a third made with marshmallows and whipping cream and vanilla bean.

415 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:13 pm

bethk

Admin
Actually, Bugs, I don't see how you could go wrong with any of those choices.

416 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 pm

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:1 regular marshmallow = .25 ounces = 14 mini marshmallows
8 regular marshmallows = 1 cup
1 cup mini marshmallows = 2 ounces = 8 regular marshmallows
1 jumbo marshmallow = 1 ounce = 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1 jumbo marshmallow = 4 regular marshmallow

1 (10 ounce bag) mini marshmallows = 6 cups
1 (10 ounce bag) mini marshmallows = 40 regular marshmallows
1 (16 ounce bag) mini marshmallows = 8 1/2 cups
1 (16 ounce bag) regular marshmallows = 63 marshmallows

7 ounces marshmallow creme/Fluff = heaping 1 1/2 cups
1 cup marshmallow creme/Fluff = 4 ounces
1/2 cup marshmallow creme/Fluff = 1 cup mini marshmallows
18 ounce tub marshmallow Fluff = 3 1/2 cups

OK, now I get it. You had me baffled! LOL

417 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy thanksgiving in July folks!

Yep! ... Thar's a breast o turkey in a pot; cookin on the grill fer supper tonight.
Stuffin a bakin in the toaster oven ..... gravy / corn / mashed potatoes / salad .
And good ole cranberry sauce Jelled.

Son and DIL are coming to paint again, and Tina volunteered to make the supper.

And while they eat their turkey, I'll be tearing into the sloppy Joe's I made yesterday!

418 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:28 pm

bethk

Admin
Thanksgiving in July actually sounds pretty good to me. I don't know why we only have stuff like that a couple times a year. And you reminded me of the 10# turkey I have in my freezer that we're suppose to take over to his sister's to cook in the hot oil out on the patio. Our nephew loves to inject the turkey with his own special blend of 'whatever' and then lower it into that bubbling oil. He does a nice job of it to be sure!

And it's nice to know you heard my vote for the Sloppy Joes.....they're ALWAYS in season!

419 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:44 pm

bethk

Admin
A friend of mine mentioned a zucchini flat 'bread' she had made when I was looking at stuff on Facebook and I decided to give it a try. It reminded me of the Internet Craze for Cauliflower Crust Pizza (which I cannot eat). I don't know that I'd make it again, but it was a fun experiment and if you're looking for a low carb dinner sometime you might just want to make it. (I put the recipe in the 'Odds and Ends' thread.....

420 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanksgiving in July is over. They all loved the breast of turkey, and said it was seasoned and cooked perfectly.

I filled up on tomato salad and garlic bread.... Had some stuffing and cranberry sauce.
Doughnuts for dessert.

421 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:03 pm

bethk

Admin
I love cooking just for myself (once in a while.....). I got to experiment with a fried potato dish I saw when I was looking around the internet. I saw a review of a potato done in one of Jonathan Waxman's restaurants - chunky fried potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper & rosemary ~ crispy & cragy on the outside and tender on the inside.

I microwaved a potato and let it sit until it was just warm. I used a fork to break it apart into chunks (I used a Yukon gold so I just left the skin on it since it's so thin). When my oil was hot (approx. 350°) I added the cooked potato chunks and just let them get nice and golden brown. It took a little longer than I anticipated so it's not an exact science if you decide to give it a try....takes some trial and error to get it right, I think. When golden and crispy I drained them in a paper towel lined bowl and then removed the towel and seasoned liberally with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, chopped thyme and chives from my patio garden. I don't care much for fresh rosemary so I used the fresh herbs I like.

OMG ~ they were to die for! Now, it could be that I don't do white potatoes often, and deep fried in oil even more seldom, but I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed such a simple dish so much.

I had grilled pork steak and grilled asparagus as sides to my potatoes.......

422 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Bugster2

So, you deep fried the potatoes? Gosh! They look so good!

423 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:29 pm

bethk

Admin
It wasn't exactly deep frying....I used about 1" of peanut oil in a small cast iron skillet.  I'm sure you could use a deep fryer but I don't have one and I hate to use all the oil one takes.  So I just got the oil up to temp and turned the potatoes over a few times to get them golden.  I think the main thing was leaving them in good 1" chunks and using a fork to tear them apart so the edges were all ragged and jagged - and, therefore, really crunchy along the edges.

I had a few pieces leftover that I was going to save for tomorrow and now I feel like a 13 year old ~ by the time I had loaded the dishwasher the potatoes were GONE!  LOL

424 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It wasn't exactly deep frying....I used about 1" of peanut oil in a small cast iron skillet.  I'm sure you could use a deep fryer but I don't have one and I hate to use all the oil one takes.  So I just got the oil up to temp and turned the potatoes over a few times to get them golden.  I think the main thing was leaving them in good 1" chunks and using a fork to tear them apart so the edges were all ragged and jagged - and, therefore, really crunchy along the edges.

I had a few pieces leftover that I was going to save for tomorrow and now I feel like a 13 year old ~ by the time I had loaded the dishwasher the potatoes were GONE!  LOL

Ummm! Chunky and Crispy....Just the way I like stuff.
I cut the hot dogs in a spiral like you do Beth. Like you say, "Lots of edges to get crispy..... Very Happy

425 Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Had two sloppy Joe's .... Baked beans ( Bushes ) and fudge for dessert.

Tina had stuffing and gravy that was left from yesterday.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum