Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 19]

376JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:It's a bit over 1,000 miles.....Mr. Amazing 'likes' driving from point 'a' to point 'b' in the most direct and quickest way possible. Me, I make a 2 day trip out of it at the very least. Of course, I also insist on stopping to go to the bathroom in someplace other than a gas station! But, I have no say when I'm not on the trip with him.

Brian is the same exact way. One time we left my office directly when I got off work about 4:30 p.m. to drive to his parents' home for Thanksgiving, when they were living in Florida -- around Bradenton. We had a thermos of coffee but he was ticking me off by not letting me take a turn behind the wheel. Long out of coffee, I told him I wanted to stop at a diner, use the bathroom and have a cup of coffee. He sat down at the counter and off I went to the ladies' room. When I came out, that idiot was standing there with my coffee in a Styrofoam cup. He was ticked off when I sat down at the counter and drank it leisurely!

Beth wrote:(the lobster was a Maine tail....we have those specials year around ~ I'm not a fan of Florida lobster. It's not as sweet and seems to be much tougher to me.)

I always preferred Maine lobster but never knew why -- it IS a lot tougher, that's for sure, but I always assumed the place had overcooked it. Nice to know it's inherent... And Maine lobster always seemed to taste better; Brian's father was a seafood inspector for the State of MA and he said it was because it was a cold water lobster but then I think he said that just to tease me about our local (and well-loved seafood, I might add!) seafood in LA....

377JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I don't blame you for being scared, Jimmy, by that disconnected call from Tina. What a trooper she is though I cannot imagine driving with only my left foot, even if it was close to home....

378JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sussex County Farmers fair will be happening soon, and there is a guy that sets up a Crawfish booth...... He has everything shipped up north from this big supplier in N O .

My son could sit and eat them, and never stop eating them!

379JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I don't blame you for being scared, Jimmy, by that disconnected call from Tina.  What a trooper she is though I cannot imagine driving with only my left foot, even if it was close to home....

She is one great trooper. Thank you!
I found an Amish liquid on line, that claims it will stop leg cramps in 10 minutes or less. We used to use Quinine Water, but it took forever to work.
This stuff works great, and within two minutes, she gets relief.

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/index.html

This stuff is wonderful, and it works every time.

380JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Oh! I didn't know Brian and you were like that. That's Funny!

I get yelled at because she says I worry about the stupidest things. silent

Yep. Yesterday I was driving to the doctor and he was with me, as he wanted to run an errand with the car while I was there. I'm telling him some story and he interrupts me to say, "Ha Ha, you missed your left turn!" as we passed the doctor's office. Me: "Hey, genius, look at the sign; that's a one way street you're suggesting I turn the wrong way down!" Him: "Oh, yeah, I didn't see that." Me: "Well, I come here once a month, Brian, so I think I know how to get here without your assistance." Then I forgot what I was talking about and started harassing him about him having to interrupt me to tell me to do something that shouldn't be done!

381JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Oh! I didn't know Brian and you were like that. That's Funny!  

I get yelled at because she says I worry about the stupidest things. silent

Yep.  Yesterday I was driving to the doctor and he was with me, as he wanted to run an errand with the car while I was there.  I'm telling him some story and he interrupts me to say, "Ha Ha, you missed your left turn!" as we passed the doctor's office.  Me:  "Hey, genius, look at the sign; that's a one way street you're suggesting I turn the wrong way down!"  Him:  "Oh, yeah, I didn't see that."  Me:  "Well, I come here once a month, Brian, so I think I know how to get here without your assistance."  Then I forgot what I was talking about and started harassing him about him having to interrupt me to tell me to do something that shouldn't be done!  

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 2876911673 JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 2876911673

382JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:I don't blame you for being scared, Jimmy, by that disconnected call from Tina.  What a trooper she is though I cannot imagine driving with only my left foot, even if it was close to home....

She is one great trooper. Thank you!
I found an Amish liquid on line, that claims it will stop leg cramps in 10 minutes or less. We used to use Quinine Water, but it took forever to work.
This stuff works great, and within two minutes, she gets relief.

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/index.html

This stuff is wonderful, and it works every time.

Are her leg cramps like sudden onset Charlie horses, Jimmy? Brian gets those often at night while sleeping. If those are like the leg cramps Tina gets, I might get him some of whatever that is (I haven't looked at it yet)....

383JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Morning Update:  I slept really well with the CPAP running.  I am amazed how quiet the machine is.  The only time I heard noise was when I removed the airway tube from my nostrils and then I could 'hear' air streaming.  I'm thinking that might be a really neat way of 'cooling off' when this old woman has 'personal summer' come visit in the middle of the night!  ((Sorry ~ I don't mean to give a verbal 'visual' that will stick in your mind guys!  LOL))

So, I guess the CPAP will become a permanent nighttime pal of mine.  It's not a 'temporary' fix, but a permanent one unless you want to undergo surgery to repair/tighten the airways.  NOT !!  I don't volunteer for removal of ANY parts.

It'll be interesting to see if my nights continue to be good.....I'm really not sure if it was the machine or the fact that I was so exhausted from no sleep the night before OR the vodka I consumed.....Hmmmm, maybe the CPAP as well as the vodka will be able to be covered by insurance!

So sorry you have to wear that, Beth, but I'm glad you slept well. I, too, have had a recent change in my night time sleep duties. Recently, my pulmonary hypertension doc ordered a pulse oximeter for me to wear one night at home and it was hooked up to a machine. They delivered it one day and picked it up the next day to be read. I got a call from my doc's nurse last week and she said I have to sleep with oxygen at night now, as I'm not getting enough oxygen. Mine went as low as 77 though yours was even worse! A company delivered the oxygen concentrator machine last week and thank God, after teaching us how to work it, the man generously carried that puppy up our very steep staircase. I told him the nasal cannula that I wore when in the hospital gave me nosebleeds but luckily, he had a humidifier in his truck, which he hooked up to the oxygen machine. He also had a backup oxygen cylinder (a freaking huge tank!) to deliver in case power went out but I refused it. Lots of people do, as he had a form for me to sign saying I refused it. I only need the oxygen at night so a short power outage won't endanger my health. Besides, Brian and I are in the process of getting bids from installers to have a whole house generator installed. Never again will we be out of power during and after a hurricane!!! So in a month or so, even a short power outage won't last longer than the 10 seconds it takes for the power to shift from electric to natural gas.

Like you, Beth, the first night I slept like a baby. Also like you, I go to bed tired and wake up tired as I rarely sleep more than one hour at a time. The machine is not extremely noisy but it's on my side of the bed and it's a low pitch humming sound with an "umph" sound every couple of seconds. I have a hearing loss and naturally it's on the same side of the bed as my good ear, so I have to turn the TV up a bit while in bed to hear it well. It doesn't bother Brian as he says it's like white noise. But I am already tethered to a small battery operated pump on my left side where my pic line medicine is fed into me via my left arm; so now I am tethered on my right side at night to a freaking oxygen machine!

I haven't slept as well as I did the first night but I am sleeping more than I did prior to having the oxygen. I hate it, though. I wish I knew how to keep from lying my head on the pillow on top of the cannula, as most mornings I have a deep line on one side -- sometimes both sides! -- of my face that takes hours to go away. Sheesh.

I hope your second night ends up with restful sleep, Beth, and I bet it does! With all the stuff you do around there, you need to get some nice restful sleep at night.

384JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Prompted by a package of ground beef that MUST be used today, It's a toss-up between, sloppy Joe's .... chili with beans .....or just plain burgers grilled. ? ? ? ?

Too hot out ( 83 ) for heavy activity, but not too bad! ....

385JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby, do they know what caused your PH? I have only known two people who had it: one got it from using that diet thing called Fen-Fen. The other was a kid of 30 who's PH was genetic in origin.

386JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Prompted by a package of ground beef that MUST be used today, It's a toss-up between, sloppy Joe's .... chili with beans .....or just plain burgers grilled. ? ? ? ?

Too hot out ( 83 ) for heavy activity, but not too bad! ....

Is this up for a vote?

If so, I'd vote for the sloppy joes.....

If not, well, then ~ ~ ~ whatever!

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 2876911673

387JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, I've got great neighbors. Got a call earlier and they asked if Dane got off ok, which I said, 'yes, he was tired but was back in Ohio before dark last night'.

So she says, "well, since he's gone and you don't HAVE to cook, come on down ~ nothing special, just burgers on the grill". I asked about bringing something and she insisted it wasn't necessary, just bring something to drink (the usual answer).

So, it was simply burgers, Bush's beans (does EVERYONE love those?) and some chips. Couldn't have tasted better! It's amazing how good something tastes when someone else does the cooking ~ HEY! Maybe THAT'S why he's stayed married to me for so long......hmmmmm! LOL

388JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Love Bush's beans!

389JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Love Bush's beans!

I'll second the Bushes Beans.

Growin up, we only had Heinz or Campbells. Vegetarian on Fridays though! affraid

I could never forget how mom and dad would fight over that 1 square of
pork fat in with the beans. We kids would just squirm and make yucky faces.

390JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#2's friends use to come to her house for a cookout occasionally and if we needed some 'fill-in' food because there were more than expected I would just open a can or two of Bush's Old Fashioned beans and warm them up a bit, just enough to take the chill off.

One of her girlfriends raved about them and wanted to know the 'recipe'.

I just walked into the house, retrieved the rinsed out can from the wastebasket and took it outside. I said, "Here - I wrote down the recipe for you!"

LOL

391JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Campbells beans are the ones Tina doctors up.
Once they started with that low sodium in their recipes, we stopped using Campbells beans. Even the mushroom soup is way too bland.

392JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, when I was a kid it was Van Camp's beans (TASTELESS !) and mom would try to 'dress 'em up' with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar & onions. Then she would let them boil (otherwise you'd get sick from them, wouldn't you?) which would turn those mushy, tasteless beans into even mushier beans. But, what the heck did 4 kids know about taste? We ate 'em and so it continued. I don't think the Van Camp's even had that hunk-o-fat in the can to flavor them.

Grandma made REAL baked beans - soaked her navy beans and put in all the good stuff. She liked 'sweet' accompaniments to go with her baked beans so there was usually a dish of chopped onions doused with her vinegar syrup to spoon on top of her hot, oven baked bean casserole. To this day it's still something I love on my beans ~ makes most people gag but I never even suggest they try it....more for me! LOL

393JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yeah, when I was a kid it was Van Camp's beans (TASTELESS !) and mom would try to 'dress 'em up' with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar & onions.  Then she would let them boil (otherwise you'd get sick from them, wouldn't you?) which would turn those mushy, tasteless beans into even mushier beans.  But, what the heck did 4 kids know about taste?  We ate 'em and so it continued.  I don't think the Van Camp's even had that hunk-o-fat in the can to flavor them.

Grandma made REAL baked beans - soaked her navy beans and put in all the good stuff.  She liked 'sweet' accompaniments to go with her baked beans so there was usually a dish of chopped onions doused with her vinegar syrup to spoon on top of her hot, oven baked bean casserole.  To this day it's still something I love on my beans ~ makes most people gag but I never even suggest they try it....more for me!  LOL

OMG Beth! That's right. I forgot about Van Camps..... They would be in the cupboard as the last resort beans. That usually happened, when dad did the shopping when mom was sick. Mom said he bought them because he was Hungry, and the picture on the can looked good to him.

One thing I told Tina to watch for. Is Bush's beans come in I think 5 different recipe's style. We don't like the steak house ones, or the extra sweet ones with maple syrup.

I always tell tina....buy the ORIGINAL recipe ones. pig

394JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Niagara Visitor

Gotta tell you all.................... I love beans so much, I don't recall ever having a bad can of them!!!!

P.S. on edit............ I was born in Germany at the end of WWII.  My mother told me many times that she didn't have enough milk for me, but she could get beans. So she cooked beans and put them in a bottle for me.  I come to my love of beans from that!

395JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My dad would open a can of the Van Camp's beans and spoon 'em on a hot dog bun.....his favorite lunch!

396JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Crybaby, do they know what caused your PH? I have only known two people who had it: one got it from using that diet thing called Fen-Fen. The other was a kid of 30 who's PH was genetic in origin.

They think it might be because of the sarcoid I had in my lung back in 2007 but they're just surmising.  

The CDC says:  Pulmonary hypertension can occur in association with many other diseases such as lung disease and heart disease. Some common underlying causes include pulmonary arterial hypertension from some types of congenital heart disease, connective tissue disease, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, liver disease (cirrhosis), blood clots to the lungs, and chronic lung diseases like emphysema. Genetics also play a role in pulmonary hypertension. Pulmonary hypertension occurs at all ages, and the incidence of it increases with age. Pulmonary hypertension is more common among women, non-Hispanic blacks, and among people aged 75 or older.

I had a disease in my lungs (sarcoid) that was diagnosed in Fall 2008 that some doctors think may have been my lucky ticket to this parade but they really don't know for sure.  The sarcoid came back around 2011 but not in my lung but rather in my skin; it can affect any organ in the body I'm told.  I've also read about heavy drug users, particularly those who have problems with cocaine, developing PH.  My doctor has patients aged 8 to those in their 80s (I'm 62).  

Only about 300 people a year are diagnosed with it in the U.S. but then it often goes undiagnosed.  I've read different numbers ranging from 300,000 to 800,000 as to the number of people in the U.S. currently diagnosed with the disease.  I don't read too much about it as it's never good news and says deaths are increasing from it in the last two decades, particularly among women.  The fact that I need oxygen at night now is not exactly good news, but rather indicates that my heart is becoming more damaged.  My doctor is trying to get me on the list of those waiting for a double lung transplant.  Believe it or not, if I get two new lungs, I will no longer have the disease and my heart will repair itself -- that boggles my mind about the heart repairing itself.  But there is an age cutoff -- might be 65 -- though she wants the transplant doctors to meet me.  I think so they can see I'm still living a very viable life and am not half dead and in bed 24/7.  In other words, I present as a "young 62."  My PH doctor specializes in both PH and in transplants and the hospital I have to go to receive treatment is the local hospital that does all the organ transplants.  I'm far from crazy about the place but it's nice to know they're so experienced with transplants if I can indeed get a set of lungs.  If my heart gets worse, a heart and double lung transplant is also a possibility if they think I'm healthy enough to have that surgery and the three organs would become available to me. I recently met two people in the hospital -- one in her late 30s and another in his mid 20s -- who had double lung transplants due to PH. The follow up care of yourself is pretty life changing but it sure beats the alternative. The guy in his 20s missed having cold cut sandwiches as you can no longer have cold cuts. I had to laugh, as we all want what we can't have....

Sorry if this was too much info, Debbie, but I know people are curious about it, as they rarely know anyone with the disease.  So I figured I'd give you guys some info about it since you asked.  Prayers are always welcome, BTW (big grin)!!!

397JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beans on toast were a British staple during and after the war when meat was scarce. It was a good source of protein. Even today many of the poor Brits still eat it.

I'm with you Jimmy: only the original Bush's. They are the best ones to jazz up.

398JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That vinegar syrup actually sounds really good.

399JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Interesting about the sarcoid. I lost touch with the lady who got it from Fen-Fen but the 30 year old was a policeman and he got a double lung transplant. It has been over 10 years and he was able to go back to work within months. He is still doing fine. My SIL's sister's husband had a liver transplant three years ago. His liver failed because of his weight. He was close to 400lbs. He lost the weight but it was too late for his liver. He is doing very well although he doesn't work. Employers tend to shy away from transplant people. He is now at a normal weight, feels terrific, exercises every day. As scary as they sound, transplants can and do work miracles. PITA though with all of those pills you have to take.

400JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 16 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I just walked into the house, retrieved the rinsed out can from the wastebasket and took it outside. I said, "Here - I wrote down the recipe for you!"

You cracked me up with that, Beth. I read it to Brian and he howled as well (he finally knows who Beth is, which means he's been paying attention!!!!)

Beth wrote:Grandma made REAL baked beans - soaked her navy beans and put in all the good stuff. She liked 'sweet' accompaniments to go with her baked beans so there was usually a dish of chopped onions doused with her vinegar syrup to spoon on top of her hot, oven baked bean casserole. To this day it's still something I love on my beans ~ makes most people gag but I never even suggest they try it....more for me! LOL

When I make red beans, I slice an onion in half through the poles, and then slice it very thin. Then I make a simple olive oil and vinegar vinaigrette and pour it over the onions, flipping the contained every now and then. By the time the beans are ready, that "onion salad" is lightly pickled and tastes delicious on top of the beans. Very similar to what your granny did, Beth, without the sweet stuff. I'll bet that is really delish over baked beans -- and REAL baked beans at that!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum