Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed

+5
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 19]

426June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yum.....thighs! My favorite.

427June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mommy "T" made eggplant parm tonight. It was
So So.... The egg plant was that Sams club bag of bitter skin egg plant.
Biscotti and coffee for dessert........

428June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:21 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:When I was small, my apt. bedroom overlooked two bars across the street and a guy with a push cart would go around the area where there were two of three other bars yelling TAmaLEEES and guys would come outside and buy some.  Dad would go across the street once in a while and get a few for us.  That was my basis for deciding if they were good or not.

They had a place in N.O. called Manuel's that sold really good ones (you're always selling good ones if you're the only one selling any!) and on some corners in the city, you'd see Manuel's push carts selling them. I was almost 20 till I tried some, as my parents just never bought them.

NormM wrote:In Junction City, there was a Chinese restaurant where Chinese exchange students from K-State would come to eat.  They had a menu in English and one in Chinese.  The Chinese one was completely different from the one they offered to non Chinese people.  We would ask for a Chinese menu then ask the waitress what everything was and order whatever sounded good. It was very different from anything we have ever seen in any other Chinese restaurant.

I have a friend, Audrey, who was married to a Chinese man who is now deceased. He worked in a Chinese food restaurant for years and then Audrey and Paul opened their own restaurant in a N.O. suburb (right near where my mother lived), which was a roaring success. Paul said they never ate anything on the menu they served when he worked in a very good Chinese restaurant -- he said it was all made for American tastes. But boy, when they put something THEY ate on the menu for all to try, it was always divine and a big hit. When I tried what they made in the kitchen for the "help" to eat for lunch, it was always to die for good. Brian and I still talk about some of the dishes we miss from their restaurant, China Blossom. Audrey ran it for about 4 years or so with one of her brothers doing the cooking after Paul died (Paul had trained him and he worked there for several years when Paul was alive) but then closed it after Katrina. I tried to explain to Audrey that the restaurant and the recipes were an asset and she should SELL them but she just closed it up one day and never put it up for sale.

429June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:12 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Eggplant%2Braisins2
Grilled baby eggplant this morning..Going to make a morning brunch frittata.

430June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:20 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I use to grill my eggplant & add evoo & dried basil, grill until golden on both sides. It was excellent. Of course, I was the only one who ever ate it. The others just went, "Ewwwww", and turned up their noses. But that was OK. I only had to do one instead of filling the grill.

No cooking today. Lyn & I are headed down to Tampa's International Plaza Mall.....dozens of store, restaurants and fun things to do. We'll probably not get home until dark!

431June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Eggplant%2Bfrittata3

done .Before it hits 100*

432June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:31 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Eggplant%2Bfrittata4

Guess I should post in the breakfast thread.

Highly doubt anyone here wants the recipe so I will leave it here.. Rolling Eyes

433June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are trying a new recipe tonight: barbecued chicken burgers. Hmmmm. We'll see...
This morning I made two small pies: one was a lime meringue and the other is a key lime meringue. I wanted to taste them back-to-back.

I haven't any hobbies because I never can afford them but for the last two years I have been collecting African-American names. They are so unusual. This morning's find was Dyimond. Very creative spelling. A lot more interesting than John and Mary.

434June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Steakdinner400

steak. pea pods.stuffed sweet peppers.

435June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:When I was small, my apt. bedroom overlooked two bars across the street and a guy with a push cart would go around the area where there were two of three other bars yelling TAmaLEEES and guys would come outside and buy some.  Dad would go across the street once in a while and get a few for us.  That was my basis for deciding if they were good or not.

They had a place in N.O. called Manuel's that sold really good ones (you're always selling good ones if you're the only one selling any!) and on some corners in the city, you'd see Manuel's push carts selling them.  I was almost 20 till I tried some, as my parents just never bought them.

NormM wrote:In Junction City, there was a Chinese restaurant where Chinese exchange students from K-State would come to eat.  They had a menu in English and one in Chinese.  The Chinese one was completely different from the one they offered to non Chinese people.  We would ask for a Chinese menu then ask the waitress what everything was and order whatever sounded good. It was very different from anything we have ever seen in any other Chinese restaurant.

I have a friend, Audrey, who was married to a Chinese man who is now deceased.  He worked in a Chinese food restaurant for years and then Audrey and Paul opened their own restaurant in a N.O. suburb (right near where my mother lived), which was a roaring success.  Paul said they never ate anything on the menu they served when he worked in a very good Chinese restaurant -- he said it was all made for American tastes.  But boy, when they put something THEY ate on the menu for all to try, it was always divine and a big hit.  When I tried what they made in the kitchen for the "help" to eat for lunch, it was always to die for good.  Brian and I still talk about some of the dishes we miss from their restaurant, China Blossom.  Audrey ran it for about 4 years or so with one of her brothers doing the cooking after Paul died (Paul had trained him and he worked there for several years when Paul was alive) but then closed it after Katrina.  I tried to explain to Audrey that the restaurant and the recipes were an asset and she should SELL them but she just closed it up one day and never put it up for sale.  

I worked at a Chinese restaurant years back, the workers always cooked their own meals, I only worked part time, 11 am to 4 pm, sometimes if I filled in for the night shift, I'd join and eat with them, the foods were so good and tasted more like my homemade foods, they cooked with the same ingredients they had in the restaurant kitchen, yet they managed to cook completely different foods for their own.. I found out that the foods on the menu basically were using the same sauce, they were only adding or omitting some ingredients to the foods they sold on the menu list

Today I cooked Chicken curry, not too spicy, I did not put too much spices, so it doesn't smell too pungent like the curry they sell in the restaurant

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 27_zpsevd489wz

436June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:06 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Eggplant%2Bfrittata4

Guess I should post in the breakfast thread.

Highly doubt anyone here wants the recipe so I will leave it here.. Rolling Eyes

Barb.... I got the recipe. I love egg plant. ... You know what? You; in my mind, are the Queen of stuffed peppers. I have not seen one that you had baked, look bad.
But, what I'm getting at, is I don't remember you ever making a stuffed egg plant.
Zucchini...yes! You did make some, a while ago.

Tina and I both love egg plant meatballs. Ground beef, with cubed eggplant that was blanched. Then mix it in with the beef. Italian spices and garlic.....They are formed Oval, and flattened, and then I fry them then sauce them with grated cheese on top. Now Tina likes them NOT fried, but in a casserole and baked in tomato sauce.

437June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:11 am

NormM

NormM

I had an old Chinese cookbook from a New York restaurant owner that would have a 'master recipe' at the head of a chapter, then a several pages for different other recipes that said add "B" or Substitute "E" for "A".

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

438June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:15 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight.... paint night with the kids.
Tina made elbow macaroni with sour cream. Shoe Peg corn... and the grand pleaser...
Thin round steak cuts, seasoned with salt, oregano, and pepper and garlic powder; then fried in a little oil in the big cast iron frying pan.

She picked up a loaf of that Walmart Everything French bread. My son just Loves that bread, and it only costs $1.00. Can't beat that, and it is good.

439June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:36 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I had an old Chinese cookbook from a New York restaurant owner that would have a 'master recipe' at the head of a chapter, then a several pages for different other recipes  that said add "B" or Substitute "E" for "A".

I do that, in a way! Like my standard meatballs mix / recipe, and then adding other items; such as minced raisins, or chopped pine nuts; etc.

440June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

They had a place in N.O. called Manuel's that sold really good ones (you're always selling good ones if you're the only one selling any!) and on some corners in the city, you'd see Manuel's push carts selling them.  I was almost 20 till I tried some, as my parents just never bought them.

I have a friend, Audrey, who was married to a Chinese man who is now deceased.  He worked in a Chinese food restaurant for years and then Audrey and Paul opened their own restaurant in a N.O. suburb (right near where my mother lived), which was a roaring success.  Paul said they never ate anything on the menu they served when he worked in a very good Chinese restaurant -- he said it was all made for American tastes.  But boy, when they put something THEY ate on the menu for all to try, it was always divine and a big hit.  When I tried what they made in the kitchen for the "help" to eat for lunch, it was always to die for good.  Brian and I still talk about some of the dishes we miss from their restaurant, China Blossom.  Audrey ran it for about 4 years or so with one of her brothers doing the cooking after Paul died (Paul had trained him and he worked there for several years when Paul was alive) but then closed it after Katrina.  I tried to explain to Audrey that the restaurant and the recipes were an asset and she should SELL them but she just closed it up one day and never put it up for sale.  

I worked at a Chinese restaurant years back, the workers always cooked their own meals, I only worked part time, 11 am to 4 pm, sometimes if I filled in for the night shift, I'd join and eat with them, the foods were so good and tasted more like my homemade foods, they cooked with the same ingredients they had in the restaurant kitchen, yet they managed to cook completely different foods for their own.. I found out that the foods on the menu basically were using the same sauce, they were only adding or omitting some ingredients to the foods they sold on the menu list

Today I cooked Chicken curry, not too spicy, I did not put too much spices, so it doesn't smell too pungent like the curry they sell in the restaurant

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 27_zpsevd489wz

My family would love that Imelda. Tina has a recipe of chicken we call "Alice's Chicken." It has a lot of allspice in the recipe. A LOT!
When Tina makes it, I will post the recipe and photo's!

441June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:07 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I don't remember you ever making a stuffed egg plant.

I must have lol..I can stuff anything..

I am sick of cooking..Cleaning up ..Dishes dishes and pots and pans..Sick of it...

Put a roast in the slow cooker .yes cooking but used a liner . will put in some carrots,Potato?? Maybe..

442June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nathan's hot dogs on sale ~ BOGO. Isn't it strange the price goes up when they do that?

But, they sounded good to me anyway. I have a pot of Jimmy's Greek Coney Dog Sauce on the stove.

I make it exactly as he listed in his recipe...right down to always draining all the fat from the browned meat (important) and adding all the water to let it cook down low and slow. Comes out perfect every time!

443June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought some Boarshead natural skinless. Not on sale "sigh" but so good. Bought fresh made bakery buns . Guess I will make blue cheese coleslaw. Small potatoes salad or a pasta salad. IDK

444June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Smells so good in here.pot roast yum yum.

445June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hahahaha.....I just put MY bowl of potato salad in the refrigerator to cool down for supper.

446June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:33 pm

NormM

NormM

I got some brats too. The name caught my eye and so I thought I'd give them a try. They are Man Cave brand of Bacon Beer and Cheddar pork bratwurst. I smoked them for a couple of hours and just had a couple with some sourdough bread I made yesterday. They were good but I think there was at least one too many flavors mixed in there.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

447June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 13439115_1119990304726217_2151982169293705013_n

448June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Man-o-Man, Barb......that looks fantastic! A great big plate of comfort food!

The hot dogs & potato salad must have been OK.....Mr. Amazing didn't even open the bag of chips I put on the table for him. Amazing!

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 IMG_20160630_171037547

449June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks. So easy. Roast beef in slow cooker with liner,onion, carrots, glug of wine. Lid on. Low for 7 hours. Mashed potatoes from a carton lol

450June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, Man-o-Man, Barb......that looks fantastic!  A great big plate of comfort food!

The hot dogs & potato salad must have been OK.....Mr. Amazing didn't even open the bag of chips I put on the table for him.  Amazing!

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 18 IMG_20160630_171037547

L00KS great! That's what we are having for the July 4th Weekend.
Burgers too!......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum