Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ceramic knives

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ceramic knives on Tue May 03, 2016 2:02 pm

bethk

Admin
Does anyone else have a ceramic knife?  I think I first saw them being used by Ming S on his cooking show.  

I saw some at the local kitchen shop ~ $2 ~ and thought, what the heck, that would be a good way to check one out.

Well, I gotta say, it's probably the sharpest knife in my drawer.  (Of course, I'm not that good at honing my knives so maybe that says more about me than my knives......)

So, here's what it looks like:

and, YES, that is my bandaged thumb that I very easily sliced into when I was working in the kitchen this morning.......

LOL

2 Re: Ceramic knives on Tue May 03, 2016 2:06 pm

Barbara101

Oh No.. Sad Sad

No never bought one..I sharpen my knives form time to time and when I see stores offering free sharpening I go..I have some really great $$$$ knives and I do not want to ruin one..

3 Re: Ceramic knives on Tue May 03, 2016 3:36 pm

cookingirl

I always wondered how a ceramic knife would be to work with..how it would handle, sharpen, etc...

Beth, now you can give me all the info I have been wanting...and answer all the questions I want answered!!! bounce bounce bounce

4 Re: Ceramic knives on Sat May 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Bugster2

I have one ceramic knife - a Kyocera. I am not that thrilled with them. Yes, it is sharp, but no sharper than my Global knives. I paid a lot more than $2 for a chef's knife. What I don't like is that if they get banged or dropped, they can chip or shatter. They are as delicate as glass. I chipped my Kyocera, how, I don't know but it had a sizable chunk missing off the edge. Fortunately, the place where they sharpen and repair them is local so I sent it back to them and they either repaired it or replaced it for $10. Funny, I had to ship it to them even though they are two miles away. When I got the knife back, I put it in a knife sheath and haven't touched it since. At $2 that is a throw away price so if I trashed one I wouldn't cry.

5 Re: Ceramic knives on Sat May 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Barbara101

I have knives that are 40 years old and good as new!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum