Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 20]

101 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Fri May 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Barbara101

I made the soup once or twice this year and I will make it when summer vegetables are great and cheap lol

102 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Fri May 06, 2016 6:34 pm

bethk

Admin
I did 'my' version of 'my man, Jacques' Chicken Pho Soup.

Homemade chicken stock, mung bean thread noodles (like celophane noodles), bok choy, mushrooms ~ garnished with cooked chicken, blanched bean sprouts, sliced scallions and sambal oleck chile sauce.

103 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Barbara101

104 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Fri May 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Barbara101

105 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Fri May 06, 2016 7:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a Roy Rogers roast beef at 3:00 for a late lunch....so I'm not hungry yet at 6:30

I have a sirloin London Broil I have to cook; because someone else pulled it out of the freezer for ????? I know not what for/????....So we shall see!

106 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Fri May 06, 2016 11:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=16]Well... I cooked the london broil. It was a half. I cut them like that so T and I could have it wthout having so much letover.
I also fooled Tina. Yep!!.... She gave a frump hmm with rolled back eyes, and said,"PAN frying??"
OMG it's gonna be tough!

Well guess what? .... You would think I grilled it. No special pan either. Just a 10 inch non stick.
Salted both sides with sea salt; then I had cross hatch score cut with the knife about 1/8'' deep on each side. High flame with a spatter top. 10 minutes each side, then set to rest 5 minutes before slicing.
WoW! Tina said, you coulda fooled me!" ........And tasty too!" ... I said,"OK Lucy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZK2-Tfc84 I just had to put this up!

107 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 6:32 am

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:

I gotta cook some salmon for Dane like that.....how long did you bake it? Regular oven or toaster oven?

Looks like a picnic lunch!

(since I'm not a salmon fan, does the house smell like salmon when you cook it in the house?)

108 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 8:09 am

Barbara101

No smell what so ever. I put a little olive oil on the parchment before I put the salmon down,, asparagus and leeks s/p shot of dill on top , lemon. Wrapped it up . Place on sheet and bake 25 ,350' regular oven .

My mom used to make it a lot. Think she used cod and snapper , since they had a shrimp boat they had so many fish. She also used onion and garlic and peppers, all sorts of things.

109 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 8:14 am

Barbara101

Jimmy I make that and lots of other steaks (meats) stove top. Grill pan and cast iron. Turns out great!!!

110 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 8:41 am

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:No smell what so ever. I put a little olive oil on the parchment before I put the salmon down,, asparagus and leeks s/p shot of dill on top , lemon.  Wrapped it up . Place on sheet and bake 25 ,350' regular oven .

My mom used to make it a lot. Think she used cod and snapper , since they had a shrimp boat they had so many fish. She also used onion and garlic and peppers, all sorts of things.  

OK ~ I'm gonna take your word on it. Do you think it would work with the packages of frozen salmon/cod (individually frozen, sold in bag) from the freezer section? That's usually so much cheaper than the 'fresh' from the fish counter. I just do not understand why FRESH fish is so darn expensive here. We are only 2 hour drive from the Gulf or the Atlantic......it's so disappointing not to get a constant supply of fresh fish.

111 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 9:04 am

Barbara101

Well I don't know why not. I buy fresh then freeze it lol

I also don't use my wild caught from Alaska with anything that is covering the fresh taste.

112 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 9:07 am

Barbara101

When I order from Alaska fresh off the boat it's frozen

113 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 9:22 am

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:When I order from Alaska fresh off the boat it's frozen

do you have a link to the site you order from?

114 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 9:33 am

Barbara101

I don't know how to do that with my iPhone lol I will do it in a minute when I get my PIA laptop gets fired up...

115 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 9:35 am

Bugster2

Frozen fish is a heck of a lot fresher than what you usually get at the store in the fresh fish case. You don't know how long the fish has been sitting there.

116 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 10:10 am

Barbara101

http://www.kodiakfishmarket.com/

I made one order..$200. i  got some cod for $8lb but i can not find it now..anyway the shipping is high so i bought the lowest price per lb to make the shipping worth it..it came next day fedx.Packaged great too.. Fresh off the boat...

friend orders from them,she went to alaska a while back and went on their boat.. tried it but ya know I think I am going to find one in Fla. yes here we have fresh off the boat too.In fact a fish market just opened today at the dock..30 minutr drive, However I hate to drive over there..No parking and the traffic now is unbelievable..I would just rather order and open my door in my PJ's lol...

They have a FB page too..Oh and I buy lobster from HT and I buy wild caught pink shrimp from HT too. when on sale.Maybe some cod or other fat white fish to make fish and chips..

That is why I am wanting a stand up freezer.SO I can have separate shelves for fish..

117 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 10:53 am

bethk

Admin
Thanks for the link.....

What is HT ? (I probably know but nothing comes to mind)

118 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 11:02 am

Barbara101

Harris Teeter.. Publix fish is gross...If I had a fresh Market I would buy from them..

119 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 11:40 am

bethk

Admin
Our Fresh Market has 'fresh' fish, but the cod is usually split (looks like it's old) and the price they charge is outrageous. I guess I could always drive the 2 hours to St. Augustine and stock up when I want fish. The grouper & shrimp I bought there was really fresh. That's probably my best bet for when I want fresh.

120 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 11:45 am

Bugster2

The local Asian market has live lobster in tanks. It actually is very reasonable, about $9/lb. They will steam it right there for you if you want. I just tell them to kill it for me. I can't handle putting it in a pot of boiling water. They also have several other varieties of live seafood. The Dungeness crabs seem to be a big seller.

121 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 11:54 am

Barbara101

bethk wrote:Our Fresh Market has 'fresh' fish, but the cod is usually split (looks like it's old) and the price they charge is outrageous.  I guess I could always drive the 2 hours to St. Augustine and stock up when I want fish.  The grouper & shrimp I bought there was really fresh.  That's probably my best bet for when I want fresh.

I bought cod from Alaska @$8.95 and it is not on the site????? IDK..But it was great..I took pics.if i can find them lol My pos laptop is really messed up..I hate hate Best Buy but if I buy another one from them,they better put all my stuff back on it..I sure as heck dont know how..

122 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Barbara101

Smothered Burrito

refried beans
rice
gd beef
onion
avocado
flour tortilla
salsa verde
red salsa
sour cream
cojito

123 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 8:34 pm

bethk

Admin
We went out with Lyn & Bill (who just got back from their Viking River Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest)....Dane & I both had grilled grouper with a mango salsa. It was very good, but we both said the grouper I made last week was BETTER!

Lyn is so sweet....I told her not to bring any souvineers back for me, it's such a waste of money. So she brought me the daily menus from the table and a cookbook from the ship they received in their cabin. LOVE it! (she really knows where my heart lies ~ let me live vicariously through HER travels and the food she eats)

124 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 10:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I made, ( actually built by flavor and texture ) a great chili with beans.
I browned the meat and added beef broth, then the onions chopped, till soft.
Spices, and tomato sauce....and let it cook covered on low. When done enough, I added diced small red bell pepper, about 1/2 cup....garlic ( minced 1 tsp. ) cooked 5 minutes, and shut off the heat.

OMG.... It really was great. Even Tina and DIL raved about it!

I've made chili before, but this was the ultimate. It surprised me!

I made box mix corn bread too. Best I ever tasted. Fleishmans. Easy.... mix in a bowl...add milk egg, and melted butter, stir...pour in 8x8 pan and bake 375º for 25 minutes.

125 Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! on Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

BTW.............................

Happy Mothers Day to All the Mothers out there.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum