Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lemon Sunshine Cake

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Lemon Sunshine Cake on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:28 pm

bethk

Admin
This is my Grandma's lemon chiffon cake ~ my all time favorite:

Lemon Sunshine Cake

8 Lg. Eggs – separated
1 ½ c. Granulated Sugar – divided
1 ¼ c. Cake Flour – sifted
2 T. Cold Water
½ t. Lemon Extract
½ t. Cream of Tartar
½ t. Salt

Beat egg whites until frothy. Add ½ t. Cream of Tartar, ½ t. salt. Slowly add 1 c. sugar, beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Set aside.

Beat together egg yolks, ½ c. sugar, 2 T. cold water and ½ t. Lemon extract until very thick. Stir in flour.

Fold egg white mixture gently into yolk mixture. Pour into ungreased 10” tube pan. Bake @ 325 for 1 hour or until done. Remove from oven and invert to cool.

2 Re: Lemon Sunshine Cake on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:This is my Grandma's lemon chiffon cake ~ my all time favorite

Thanks, Beth. Snagged and put in my recipe area. I really appreciate your posting that for me again.

3 Re: Lemon Sunshine Cake on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:17 pm

bethk

Admin
It is my all time favorite. Grandma made a lemon custard to go with it. She would slice it into 3 layers and put the cream between or just slice and put a big blob on the cake with some berries. Here is the recipe for the custard.....don't freak out when you see the recipe......

Lemon Custard Filling

Prepare one envelope of “Dream Whip” topping as package directs. Prepare 1-3.4 oz. pkg. Instant Lemon Pudding using only one cup of milk. Fold together prepared topping and pudding. Chill for 15 minutes until set.

Slice cooled cake into three layers. Fill each layer with ½ of custard filling. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar as garnish.

I do NOT like Dream Whip topping by itself. I do NOT like instant Lemon Pudding. BUT, that said, when you combine the two it turns into the most delicious 'custard' and compliments the cake nicely.

4 Re: Lemon Sunshine Cake on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:20 pm

bethk

Admin
Imelda made the cake and baked it in a silicone bundt pan. I was amazed it turned out beautifully. I've never made it in anything but the old fashioned aluminum tube pan with the removable bottom.

5 Re: Lemon Sunshine Cake on Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Imelda made the cake and baked it in a silicone bundt pan.  I was amazed it turned out beautifully.  I've never made it in anything but the old fashioned aluminum tube pan with the removable bottom.

Laughed, as I don't have a bundt pan but planned to use my tube pan (I do want to get one of those pretty bundt pans, though).

I added the Lemon Custard Filling to the cake recipe, too. Many thanks!

6 Re: Lemon Sunshine Cake on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 pm

bethk

Admin
You are very welcome. Love sharing Grandma's special recipes.

DD#1 has my grandma's old recipe cards in the wooden boxes.....didn't every grandma have those? My grandma always hand wrote the recipes from friends and noted who gave her the recipe. Then she had other recipes she would cut out of magazines to tape on the cards and she would make a notation, ie: 'Beth Ann's Better Homes & Gardens, March 1970 issue'. I love nothing more than just flipping through those index cards and seeing Grandma's familiar handwriting.

7 Re: Lemon Sunshine Cake on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:You are very welcome. Love sharing Grandma's special recipes.

DD#1 has my grandma's old recipe cards in the wooden boxes.....didn't every grandma have those?

Grandma? Heck, I had one! I, too, noted where each recipe came from. The box is stashed somewhere but I have a couple loose cards out with some of the recipes I used to make all the time. One was even from my high school home ec class, which my Catholic school called CFL (Christian Family Living)!

I remember homework one time being to make a homemade biscuit to bring in the next day. All of my friends had pretty ugly biscuits with them, ones that hadn't risen hardly at all. Mine was gorgeous and nice and high -- and then I told them I made mine from Bisquick! They all thought Sister would be able to tell. I had to laugh, as I'd been cooking since I was 8 and they all didn't know how to boil water. I assured them there was no way she could know I hadn't made them from scratch -- they all snickered when I got an "A" for my biscuit!

Sewing was also a part of the course (I also sewed very young, as my mom sewed; even helped her teach a sewing class one time when the other lady who helped her was ill even though I was still in grammar school. I begged her not to use me, as I though the ladies would be mad but my mom insisted, and I just walked around supervising them sewing seams and making sure they were stitching them straight and in the proper width). Sister complimented me in CFL once on the beautiful T-shaped "top" I'd made. She rolled her eyes when I said, "Sister, it's a dress, not a top!" (It was the era of the mini-dress; my mom didn't mind, though, as she said I knew how to stoop when wearing one instead of bending and showing my undies!)

8 Re: Lemon Sunshine Cake on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:20 pm

NormM

My mom bought a Watkins cookbook the year I was born. Watkins was like the Avon Lady. They sold spices and extracts door to door. I never saw her use it but it was twice as thick as originally with all the cut out magazine and hand written recipes. All those were gone by the time I got the cookbook though.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum