Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CARAMELIZED OXTAILS

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  Empty CARAMELIZED OXTAILS Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

meaty short ribs..

My goodness.. it tastes so good.. I cooked it for the first time today.. I usually cooked oxtail in soup or grilled them after boiling them in spiced broth..

Ingredients:
- 2 lbs of oxtails..
- 1 lt of water
- salt and black peppers
- nutmeg

for the caramel sauce:
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, mince
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of sweet soy sauce or (regular soy sauce + 2 tbsp of brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 cup of oxtail broth
- green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Method:
- boil the oxtail until tender, I put it a big pan, covered with foil and bake in 350'F oven for 2 hours.. fish the oxtail out and let them cool, reserve the broth
- in a big pan, heat butter, add shallots, garlic and jalapeno pepper, stir until fragrant
- add the broth, soy sauce, sugar and oxtail
- cook until the sauce thickened
- sprinkle with lemon juice
- top with green onion
Serve them hot with rice or mashed potato or pasta

look at the fat Shocked
bounce

CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  DSCN6150

CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  DSCN6206

I cooked Saffron rice to go with it ( with milk and some butter + salt, it was so delicious) CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  3593629538

CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  4

2CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  Empty Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 pm

NormM

NormM

I copied the recipe and want to try this sometime soon. Thanks Imelda

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  Empty Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:14 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

me too. copied.

I only see them every so often in Publix.I may pick some up next time I see them.

I laugh every time I think about it, on the other forum, a member asked 'what are ox tails' ( CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  2855670339 )

I said they are tails of the ox..Boy she got pissed at me. CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  1838020472

4CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  Empty Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I apologized for that.....

Hahahaha

I do remember when that happened....I thought it was the perfect answer. Same as, "what are short ribs?" Next to the long ribs.....lol

5CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  Empty Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Ceee

Those do look good! I've only had them a couple of times. Never had them with the caramel sauce...must try. They are very fatty, so the second time I cooked them, I put the broth in the refrigerator to let the fat congeal and then took it off. Cholesterol issues Crying or Very sad

6CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  Empty Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Ceee wrote:Those do look good! I've only had them a couple of times. Never had them with the caramel sauce...must try. They are very fatty, so the second time I cooked them, I put the broth in the refrigerator to let the fat congeal and then took it off. Cholesterol issues Crying or Very sad

I do the same thing, get rid of the big piece of fat the next day, though sometime I save some ( I assure you, just a little bit lol! ) for later use, like to add it in steamed or boiled veggies

today I'm going try my caramel sauce on my pulled pork CARAMELIZED OXTAILS  3267860543

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum