Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CARAMELIZED OXTAILS

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 CARAMELIZED OXTAILS on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Imelda HL

meaty short ribs..

My goodness.. it tastes so good.. I cooked it for the first time today.. I usually cooked oxtail in soup or grilled them after boiling them in spiced broth..

Ingredients:
- 2 lbs of oxtails..
- 1 lt of water
- salt and black peppers
- nutmeg

for the caramel sauce:
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, mince
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of sweet soy sauce or (regular soy sauce + 2 tbsp of brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 cup of oxtail broth
- green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Method:
- boil the oxtail until tender, I put it a big pan, covered with foil and bake in 350'F oven for 2 hours.. fish the oxtail out and let them cool, reserve the broth
- in a big pan, heat butter, add shallots, garlic and jalapeno pepper, stir until fragrant
- add the broth, soy sauce, sugar and oxtail
- cook until the sauce thickened
- sprinkle with lemon juice
- top with green onion
Serve them hot with rice or mashed potato or pasta

look at the fat Shocked
bounce

I cooked Saffron rice to go with it ( with milk and some butter + salt, it was so delicious)

2 Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 pm

NormM

I copied the recipe and want to try this sometime soon. Thanks Imelda

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3 Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:14 am

Barbara101

me too. copied.

I only see them every so often in Publix.I may pick some up next time I see them.

I laugh every time I think about it, on the other forum, a member asked 'what are ox tails' ( )

I said they are tails of the ox..Boy she got pissed at me.

4 Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm

bethk

Admin
I apologized for that.....

Hahahaha

I do remember when that happened....I thought it was the perfect answer. Same as, "what are short ribs?" Next to the long ribs.....lol

5 Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Ceee

Those do look good! I've only had them a couple of times. Never had them with the caramel sauce...must try. They are very fatty, so the second time I cooked them, I put the broth in the refrigerator to let the fat congeal and then took it off. Cholesterol issues Crying or Very sad

6 Re: CARAMELIZED OXTAILS on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Imelda HL

Ceee wrote:Those do look good! I've only had them a couple of times. Never had them with the caramel sauce...must try. They are very fatty, so the second time I cooked them, I put the broth in the refrigerator to let the fat congeal and then took it off. Cholesterol issues Crying or Very sad

I do the same thing, get rid of the big piece of fat the next day, though sometime I save some ( I assure you, just a little bit lol! ) for later use, like to add it in steamed or boiled veggies

today I'm going try my caramel sauce on my pulled pork

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum