Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bleached or unbleached flour???

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 am

Barbara101

KAF vs White Lily?

2 Re: Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:43 pm

bethk

Admin
I find my White Lily has to be sifted before I use it.....it always 'clumps'.

I think I'm gonna put it in the freezer and save it for when I want to make biscuits and go back to my Gold Metal for everyday use.

3 Re: Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Barbara101

Might be the humidity where you are .

KAF site is so overpriced . Much cheaper to buy in store .

I buy both lol I buy bread flour ,KAF . Makes great dough and bread . I use my ZO bread machine .

4 Re: Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Barbara101

I also have 3 containers of flour , I did not mark and have no idea what it is AP I guess . My read flour is marked .( bread)

5 Re: Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:03 pm

NormM

White Lily and Martha White flours are best suited for pie crusts, cakes and biscuits. Bleached AP flour is better for those too than unbleached flour. Mills blend bleached flour to have a lower protein. Unbleached flour and most KAF flours have higher protein so they are better for things that use yeast.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6 Re: Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Niagara Visitor

Does the higher protein in the flour make it better for stretching, as in making a specialty pasta? One of the specialties of my childhood is my mother making a "strudel". No, not the sweet filled pasta. This strudel is made of a dough of just flour, water, salt. No yeast. You make the dough so that it's "rollable" as if making a pizza. You roll it into approx. a dinner plate size, cover the top with a very light coating of oil. Let it sit for a few minutes, then pick it up, and stretch it first by holding the edges, letting the dough stretch downward, then moving on to a bit further down in either direction of the circle of dough. When it's maybe twice the size, you put your fists under it, and keep stretching it until the whole thing is almost 3 ft. in diameter.

My mother used to be able to get it so thin that you could pretty well read a newspaper through it. Mine gets holes in it.

Then you lay that thin sheet down, and starting on either edge, left and right, you start rolling it into a long piece about 2 inches wide. Just a plain, thin layer of rolled pasta. She would do maybe 5 of those long rolls. Then or even before, she sauteed a big onion in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven, add some sliced potatoes, salt and pepper. Add water to the potatoes so that you would not quite cover them, turn up the heat to get that to a boil, cut the pasta into pieces about 4-6 inches long, lay the pasta pieces on top of the potatoes, reduce heat to med, cover the pot, and the pasta cooked in the steam of the potato/water mix.

In about 40 min, the potatoes are done, water absorbed, pasta cooked. We would have some sort of meat and gravy with it. An expert, like my mother, is able to get the rolls of pasta so that when it is done, the pasta roll will actually come "unrolled" if you try it. Mine just gets clumpy.

7 Re: Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:20 pm

NormM

When you knead dough and it gets stretchy, that is due to the protein getting wet and developing gluten. High gluten does help dough get stretchy. It confusing to me though because Semolina flour has the highest protein and develops the most gluten and is valued for use in making pasta but Italians like a kind of flour called OO that is the opposite. It is low in protein.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

8 Re: Bleached or unbleached flour??? on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Barbara101

I put my KAF in a container and I don't know what it is..

I made a white bread today and used one of their recipes..The best white bread I have made yet..Really good. medium crust and firm but soft crumb..

PB is down so can not post pic..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum