Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 15]

26 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Barbara101

avatar
Butter is nearly $5 a pound.

here it is $2. store brand or 2/$4. or European Butters are right now 2/for $6.

27 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We just did a test. Tina bought cheeto's cheese twists, and Wise brand.
The wise were bigger, but the taste and aftertaste were awful. Tina gives the nose test, and said,"these Wise twists smell like baby vomit / spit-up!".... LOL

Yeah, we're sticking with Cheeto's from now on. We don't eat them often (actually, the last bag went stale and I just tossed the last 1/3....), but they sure hit the spot when you want something salty & crunchy. I got hooked on them when I was at DD#2's. She always have them because the dog loves 'em. LOL If you get the bag down he's right there starin' at you with those big brown eyes, droolin' and waiting.....staring, drooling & waiting.......until you FINALLY figure out: 1 for you, TWO for Huckleberry! He's the same way with popcorn. But that's about all the 'human' food he gets. Well, 'cept for a hot dog IF he has pills to take.

I like Tera Chips - the vegetable chips (Taro, beet, parsnip, etc.). At the grocery store the name brand is something like $4.59 a bag. Aldi has a store brand that is, I swear, the same exact product. I can find NO difference in the taste, shape, etc. And theirs is like $2.39 a bag. Same for stuff I keep on hand to take when when have a game night and everyone brings a snack. Aldi has little bags of chocolate covered pretzels, and they're good....for $1.19. Way more at the other stores. I also buy all my snack nuts at Aldi. They're fresh (lots of turnover in product due to the price). We like to have the unsalted almonds/cashews/pecans available for snacks.

28 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Barbara101

avatar
We like to have the unsalted almonds/cashews/pecans available for snacks.


  last time I bought cashews to make stir fry chicken,I ate all of them in one sitting and kept saying,,,stop eating these..I do the same thing with dry roasted peanuts and I love love those flavored almonds..

29 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:I just can't find any difference in the outcome by using Gold Medal vs KA. We really don't have White Lily out here but one of the local gourmet stores has it for $10 bag. Maybe someday I will give it a try.

Last month I tried Walmart's brand of diced green chilies and they were mush. I will stick to the Ortega brand for now.
I don't like Contadina tomato sauce: it is too sweet. Some grocery store brands are ok.

One thing I must say, is we found that Walmart Brand I think it's "Great Value", tomatoe's, paste, and sauce, are excellent. Somebody has to pack for them, and we have had no issues with it. The other stuff ??? not so much.
pale

30 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We just did a test. Tina bought cheeto's cheese twists, and Wise brand.
The wise were bigger, but the taste and aftertaste were awful. Tina gives the nose test, and said,"these Wise twists smell like baby vomit / spit-up!".... LOL

Yeah, we're sticking with Cheeto's from now on.  We don't eat them often (actually, the last bag went stale and I just tossed the last 1/3....), but they sure hit the spot when you want something salty & crunchy.  I got hooked on them when I was at DD#2's.  She always have them because the dog loves 'em.  LOL  If you get the bag down he's right there starin' at you with those big brown eyes, droolin' and waiting.....staring, drooling & waiting.......until you FINALLY figure out:  1 for you, TWO for Huckleberry! He's the same way with popcorn.  But that's about all the 'human' food he gets.  Well, 'cept for a hot dog IF he has pills to take.  

I like Tera Chips - the vegetable chips (Taro, beet, parsnip, etc.).  At the grocery store the name brand is something like $4.59 a bag.  Aldi has a store brand that is, I swear, the same exact product.  I can find NO difference in the taste, shape, etc.  And theirs is like $2.39 a bag.  Same for stuff I keep on hand to take when when have a game night and everyone brings a snack.  Aldi has little bags of chocolate covered pretzels, and they're good....for $1.19.  Way more at the other stores.  I also buy all my snack nuts at Aldi.  They're fresh (lots of turnover in product due to the price).  We like to have the unsalted almonds/cashews/pecans available for snacks.

So true Beth. Nuts have a shelf life that expires quickly. Nothing worse than ransid smelling / tasting peanuts / or almonds; etc.

We buy candy chocolate coated nuts from this great chocolate store, and Tina bought the nuts and chocolate covered ones for last Easter. I took one bite, and yuck! ..... the nuts were stale and rancid.
It was not worth the gas use to take them back. No more candy nuts from them, and plus, they went out of business.


31 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:They are raping us on the price of eggs out here. A dozen goes for $3.50 and 18 goes for over $5. Butter is nearly $5 a pound. It makes no sense to me. How and why do we have the highest food prices? The state is now over 50% immigrant and most of those are poor. You would think there would be some kind of break on prices. And double the coupons.
I saw where Zuckerburg, the 27-year old founder of Facebook is planning on giving away 99% of his Facebook stock over his lifetime. 45 billion. I wish he would give some of it away in my direction.LOL.

We get the eggs by the case ( 30 Dozen. ) over at the farm co-op here in town. We split it up with the kids and two neighbors.
$2.13 a doz. last time, but I'm sure today's prices are way up.

32 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I gotta move my butt. I'm cooking sausage cacciatori today. I will throw a few meatballs in for tina. I wonder how sweet potato wedges would be, cooked in the tomato sauce??? Gotta try that!

33 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Bugster2

avatar
I bought a can of grocery store brand cashews. They were not good and I swear that one piece I ate was actually a bug. After that I tossed them. I will stick with Planters. The best canned nuts are from See's candies. They cost about $11/can and have too many almonds but they are so good. Every nut is perfect, not a broken one in the can.

34 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I thought my sausage cacciatori was done, but in the distraction watching the new shootings in San Bernardino, CA shootings that happened this morning, I forgot to add the potato wedges to the pot. When are these shootings gonna stop? It's like every week a different one.
I hope they track them down.

35 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:24 pm

Barbara101

avatar
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I thought my sausage cacciatori was done, but in the distraction watching the new shootings in San Bernardino, CA shootings that happened this morning, I forgot to add the potato wedges to the pot. When are these shootings gonna stop? It's like every week a different one.
I hope they track them down.


seems like that have them..How? IDK..I fell asleep.. Sleep

36 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 pm

Barbara101

avatar




stuffed tomatoes..
3 cups uncooked Israeli couscous
3 cups stock or broth ( chicken )
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup of reserved tomato water 
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup dried currants
1 small red onion, diced
4 cups washed, chopped, and uncooked baby spinach
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

37 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:15 pm

Barbara101

avatar

38 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:25 pm

NormM

avatar
I cooked some navy beans and collard greens in leftover turkey stock and ham bones. We also had a salad, mushrooms and corn muffins.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

39 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Bugster2

avatar
Very southern sounding Norm. Sounds like what my mom used to eat. All that is missing is the green onions. She would take a bite of green onion between bites of beans.

40 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:39 pm

NormM

avatar
Bugster, there were some green onions in the salad.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

41 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:I cooked some navy beans and collard greens in leftover turkey stock and ham bones.  We also had a salad, mushrooms and corn muffins.



The ankle bone's connected to the knee bone..... the knee bone's connected to the HAM Bone! The Ham bone's connected to the back bone, and they sucked and knawed on Bones all day!.... LOL

My mom and dad, would boil ham bones and pork bones. They would sit with a whole bowl of bones,,, (Disgusting ) and with a little pick, they would pull out the marrow and eat it. To get some, they would have to suck the inside of the bones to get out the marrow. Brother and I would cringe.    

Dads famous saying was." Hey " "This is a delicacy for some people!"
Brother would softly say,"Yeah, people that Crap on the floor, and kick it out of the way!" ......    

42 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:11 am

Bugster2

avatar
I made ground turkey tacos using Taco Bell's seasoning mix. They were actually good and not as heavy as ground beef. My only issue was the price of the turkey: $5.99/lb. I have got to find a cheaper source.
I fell asleep at 8pm on the couch and got up at 3am. I will go back to bed for an hour or so later. I started thinking that I don't think I have a tablecloth that fits my table for Christmas. I will have to pull out what I have and see what fits. I did remember a red matelassé twin size quilt I got last year that I was going to cut up and use for pillow covers, so I pulled it out. It hangs over about two inches on each end and 8 inches, on each side. It may not be the greatest but it will work. Not that I am going to be able to enjoy Christmas dinner, I have to start prepping for a colonoscopy on the 28th. Oh joy. Spending the holidays in the loo.LOL.

43 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:46 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
It would be cheaper if you bought a turkey and ground it up yourself.....just have to remember to grind up some of the fat with it so it's not too dry.

Sounds like the quilt will be fine for a table cover.....better than having to buy something that only gets used once a year. I gave all my Grandma's, Mom's and my tablecloths/swags to DD#1. She's the only one in the family who still has a 'real' dining room table to expand and fit all the sizes. She was thrilled not to have to go out and buy all the different sizes for adding length to her table.

44 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:57 am

Barbara101

avatar
shrimp tacos coming up..

45 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Bugster2

avatar
Barbara101 wrote:shrimp tacos coming up..

Shrimp tacos? I never thought of that. You MUST tell me what you have done. DH and Roomie are shrimp hounds.

46 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Bugs.....tell hubs to get the sawzall out, and cut the tabletop to fit the tabletop. Or.... do what Uncle Jimmy would do. Spread Newspapers out!

47 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Barbara101

avatar
Bugster2 wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:shrimp tacos coming up..

Shrimp tacos? I never thought of that. You MUST tell me what you have done. DH and Roomie are shrimp hounds.


I make them all the time..I have posted them on here lots of times..I am going to just grill them,indoor maybe..depends on my mood at dinner time lol...

48 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Barbara101

avatar



Really old photo.Hot and spicy ...

49 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Bugster2

avatar
For the life of me, I can't remember ever seeing those. Half the time I can't remember my own name...

50 Re: DECEMBER.. DINNER MEALS on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:05 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Dane called me after he got done golfing with the neighborhood group this afternoon and asked me if I wanted to meet them for lunch. So, what with a lunch and good conversation, I decided I really didn't need any supper.

But that's not to say I didn't do some cooking....one of the ladies in the golf group didn't go this morning because she thought she was coming down with 'something ~ cold, flu, whatever' so I made some noodle soup out of the turkey stock I had made. She and her husband are happy to have it for their supper.

Dane took out a bowl full of the broth & vegetables for his supper before I added the noodles....no carbs and all that.....and I told him that would be his supper in case he wanted to wait an hour or so to reheat and eat. But, 4:30 was close enough to 'supper time' for him.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum