Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November............ what's for dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 19]

26 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Barbara101

Wish I had the energy to make that..     

27 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 pm

bethk

Admin
It wasn't all that much trouble....I looked on Foodily.com for a recipe that sounded good to me, one where I had the ingredients in my refrigerator and pantry, and then made some adjustments for my taste.  I had a bone-in chicken breast thawed for our supper so instead of grilling it I just poached it for a while and then shredded the meat.  I had a can of green enchilada sauce and the green chiles so the rest was easy.  The enchilada crema was just sour cream with an equal amount of green enchilada sauce ~ it was really good on the rolls.

Here's what I based it on:

Chicken Enchiladas
(Southern Living)

These easy, cheesy chicken enchiladas come together in a snap and are faster and way more delicious than fast food.

• Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients
• 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
• 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained

• 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
• Vegetable cooking spray
• 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
• 1 (8-ounce) bottle green taco sauce

• Toppings: diced tomato, chopped avocado, chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives

Preparation
Stir together first 4 ingredients. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Coat tortillas with vegetable cooking spray.

Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Stir together sour cream and taco sauce. Spoon over hot enchiladas, and sprinkle with toppings.

28 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 pm

Barbara101

I am lazy today..Grilled shrimp and veggies..All of 15 minutes..

29 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:

I am lazy today..Grilled shrimp and veggies..All of 15 minutes..

Looks good! It must be cool there by now? huh?

30 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Great story, Lore!  Amazing how our memory gets a bit muddled over time, or is it our taste?

With all the talk about tamales you guys got me thinking about something Mexican.  Chicken Enchilads with assorted toppings:  Extra green sauce, Cheese, Black olives, Enchilada Crema, Tomatoes, Avacado & Green Onion.  Side of Mexican rice to go on the side.

My loaded enchilada:

Wow!... now they look good! I would do beef or pork for me though!

31 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Bugster2

bethk wrote:It wasn't all that much trouble....I looked on Foodily.com for a recipe that sounded good to me, one where I had the ingredients in my refrigerator and pantry, and then made some adjustments for my taste.  I had a bone-in chicken breast thawed for our supper so instead of grilling it I just poached it for a while and then shredded the meat.  I had a can of green enchilada sauce and the green chiles so the rest was easy.  The enchilada crema was just sour cream with an equal amount of green enchilada sauce ~ it was really good on the rolls.

Here's what I based it on:

Chicken Enchiladas
(Southern Living)

These easy, cheesy chicken enchiladas come together in a snap and are faster and way more delicious than fast food.

• Yield: 4 servings

It does look very easy! Copied for our next meal!

Ingredients
• 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
• 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained

• 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
• Vegetable cooking spray
• 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
• 1 (8-ounce) bottle green taco sauce

• Toppings: diced tomato, chopped avocado, chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives

Preparation
Stir together first 4 ingredients. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Coat tortillas with vegetable cooking spray.

Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Stir together sour cream and taco sauce. Spoon over hot enchiladas, and sprinkle with toppings.

32 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Barbara101

Looks good! It must be cool there by now? huh?

86` today..

33 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 pm

NormM

A long time friend in Seattle posted a picture of a new Nordic loaf pan. It is for quick breads but since the French bread i made the other day was gone after two days, I decided to make some more today. While the bread was rising I went to Williams Sonoma and liked the pan enough to get one. I know it isn't for yeast bread but I put one of the loaves in it anyway. I also wanted to try an Italian meatball recipe and so we had the meatballs, bread and a salad for dinner tonight.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

34 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Bugster2

What a great idea Norm. I wonder what other pans would produce a beautiful loaf like that. It seems that your yeast dough could work in any pan. I have seen a pan that makes the loaf look like a challah without actually braiding it.

35 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:27 am

NormM

I was thinking this pan might be a good one for Challah.

36 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:35 am

Niagara Visitor

It would be great for Challah. I have a baking pan which is shaped like a rose. It's difficult to get the cake out sometimes.

37 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:A long time friend in Seattle posted a picture of a new Nordic loaf pan. It is for quick breads but since the French bread i made the other day was gone after two days, I decided to make some more today.  While the bread was rising I went to Williams Sonoma and liked the pan enough to get one.  I know it isn't for yeast bread but I put one of the loaves in it anyway.  I also wanted to try an Italian meatball recipe and so we had the meatballs, bread and a salad for dinner tonight.

Delicious looking Norm. Just the way I eat my spaghetti. Not a lot of sauce. Tina likes hers, swimming in sauce!....
BTW.... the bread slice is only half buttered. On a diet?.... LOL
And that bread.....Oh Ho Ho Ho ....It's making me drool! Ummmm....nothing like home made bread and butter.

38 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Today, we had salmon patties, potato auegraten sp?
and carrots. Pickles on the side for me!

39 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:28 am

bethk

Admin
The Nordic pan makes a beautiful loaf.....but it's rivaled by the equally (or more) beautiful loaf you formed on your own. Now you have me checking to see if I have any yeast.....

40 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:00 am

NormM

Jimmy, after the butter softened a little more, I spread it over the rest of the slice.

Beth, even though I use a sour dough starter, after the sponge has bubbled up and added flavor, I add some bread machine yeast with the rest of the flour. No need to take a chance it won't rise or will take hours and hours. That has happened sometimes with the sour dough starter by itself.

41 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Barbara101

I have so many bits of leftovers so dinner will be a stir fry or plate full of leftovers..

42 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 pm

bethk

Admin
I'm going to make flatbread on the grill and have it with an arugula salad w/homemade dressing made from one of my Myer lemons (that I grew all by myself!).

43 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Bugster2

Norm, where did you get your starter? Did you start it yourself or did you order it?

44 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Barbara101

I have 3 lbs of plum tomato starring at me.. Guess I will make sauce.. For what? IDK.. I am not eating any pasta..

45 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:05 pm

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:Norm, where did you get your starter? Did you start it yourself or did you order it?

I once had a starter from San Francisco that I kept for a couple of decades. When it finally bit the dust, I decided not to get anymore but about two months later a friend sent me some from King Arthur as a Christmas present along with a crock for keeping it. That is the one I have now and it's about two years old. During the summer I keep it in the refrigerator and let it go dormant. There can be up to 6 months that it just sits there before I wake it up and start using it again.

46 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:09 pm

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:I have 3 lbs of plum tomato starring at me.. Guess I will make sauce.. For what? IDK.. I am not eating any pasta..

You can make it and put it into 4 oz. containers and then reheat for chicken parm. Don't need pasta for that (unless you want it). I've not been breading my chicken cutlets lately, just pounding and (maybe a dusting of flour, but not necessary) a quick saute in evoo. Melt some moz on top & some of the sauce. Salad along side. Dane's been happy with it.

47 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Bugster2

I didn't know you could let them go dormant.

48 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Barbara101

Good idea..

49 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:31 pm

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:I didn't know you could let them go dormant.

You can freeze it too. Heat is what kills it.

50 Re: November............ what's for dinner? on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Bugster2

You learn something new every day. The trick is remembering it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum