Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner?

+3
bethk
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 19]

226"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Just like me Beth. Tina called me from Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Bakery, and said she was bringing home doughnuts. She will stop at Son Jimmys and give him his.

I did good today with my #'s. I was 93 when I woke up. Then after a egg and cheese on a whole grain English Muffin, and 1/2 a sandwich for lunch, I measured the blood test again, and it was 127.
So I will cheat a little. I want my KK doughnut!

Jimmy.....NO to KK ~ you gotta come up with a less indulgent treat. Those things are like a bullet to your body.....honest. You gotta stop ~ go 'Cold Turkey'.

227"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I thought I was done with the smoker for the year. Last week I took it apart and did the year end cleaning.  It's quite a chore and messy.  That is why I stood for so long and looked at the brisket at Costco yesterday.  It was USDA Prime for 3.39/lb.  I got the smallest one i could find. It was a little over 10 lbs and cost a little more than $34.00. I couldn't pass it up.  It took 9 1/2 hours to get done.  Actually the large end was done perfectly but the small end could have stayed in a little longer.  Not that it wasn't good, it just wasn't quite as tender. It all was very juicy and good though.  

Oh, WOW! That is one beautiful hunk 'o beef! It looks well worth the extra effort you'll do to RE-clean the smoker.

228"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:51 pm

NormM

NormM

It was really good too Beth.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

229"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It is miserable here today. 92 and overcast and humid. No movement of the air. You can cut it with a knife.
Last night I tried a new asparagus recipe and it was very good. Asparagus spread out on a jelly roll pan lined with foil. Melted butter drizzled over all. then it is seasoned with equal parts onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. Sprinkle it al with parmesan, bake at 400 for 15 minutes then sprinkle with mozzarella and shove it back in the oven for another 5 minutes. It was really tasty.
Tonight I am making tuna melts. Too hot to eat or cook anything else.

Tina and I would be miserable in that heat bugs.
It was a nice 72 here today, but 46 tonight. It sure is the kind of weather that gives us an appetite.

230"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No KK doughnuts. For us, No doughnuts.
Tina with the bad tummy, and Jimmy with the carbs fighting.....tina thought we would be better off not having them around.

231"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Good call. You can kiss all of them good bye!!! You can have dessert, just do some homework first. No sugar and low carb.
I read that and thought you were joking. Tina needs to stop buying crap!!! Just sayin

232"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Heck, you can have cheesecake, just use trivia instead of sugar.

233"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a sausage and peppers Tina picked me up. Guess what?
I ate the sausage, and threw the hoagie roll away. I enjoyed every morsel.
I guess one can enjoy meals without bread! Hmmm!

234"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had a sausage and peppers Tina picked me up. Guess what?
I ate the sausage, and threw the hoagie roll away. I enjoyed every morsel.
I guess one can enjoy meals without bread! Hmmm!

Yes you can..It took me awhile to get over bread..I just do not buy it and use 'other' low carb wraps or pita or a corn tortilla,IF I feel the need lol.

235"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:36 pm

NormM

NormM

I couldn't imagine a meal without bread until I married Charlie's mom.  Bread isn't much in their diet so I got used to it and don't miss bread with a meal at all anymore.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

236"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I make hummus a lot. great snack and appi, I bake one pita split and then opened up and get lots of dippers(((cracker).2gm sugar.

I just made a artichoke green olive dip for a change up..

237"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:45 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

The only time I eat bread is in sandwiches. I grew spot to have bread with a meal. Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, yes--bread no..

sweets are my downfall...and cheese.. chocolate...

love hummus! Have to have tortilla chips with it....
I can eat the entire small container at one sitting...
but for some reason, it does not agree with my tummy...sigh..

238"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Fattoush3_1

I split them open and it goes farther.

239"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I do not buy it. $$$$$ 50c/75c a can of chick peas lol.

240"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I couldn't imagine a meal without bread until I married Charlie's mom.  Bread isn't much in their diet so I got used to it and don't miss bread with a meal at all anymore.

Growing up... Bread, and especially Italian bread, was a must have, or don't eat.
Even with spaghetti..... We had to have bread! Especially Dad. Mom didn't eat it that much, and she was thin.
Between dad, me and brother, we would have toast with butter and jelly.
We would eat the whole loaf of bread..... toasted.

241"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And when you were able to do that, Jimmy, you also never walked...you ran. You gulped down your food and then you and your brother were out the door until the next meal ~ never stopping, never still. And that's the difference now. We're no longer able to move like that. We move a little, we rest a lot. Even if I wanted to be as active as I was just a few short years ago, I'm not able to. My hips hurt. My knees hurt. I get exhausted vacuuming the floor.

But I am able to cut way back on the bread and sweets. I don't like it, but I am able to do it. Now it's just a matter of keeping at it and finding the balance that I can live with.

242"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:22 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My father was a big bread man. He would gross us out by eating a piece of white bread spread with strawberry preserves along with spaghetti or a bowl of chili. When his sister came to stay with us when my mom was in the hospital, the dinner table always had a plate of white bread sitting in the middle. Or he would eat any kind of thing you could think of that you could pour over a piece of white bread. He was born in Indiana. Maybe it is a mid-west thing.
My mother's white bread was cornbread.

243"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 David%20artichoke2

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 David%20artichoke3

Artichoke,green olive appi...

Artichoke Tapenade (adapted from David Lebovitz):

1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 cup pitted green olives
1 tbsp capers
14 oz. can of artichokes, drained well
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 tbsp olive oil
1/8 teaspoon chile powder
salt, to taste

Pit the olives and add them along w/ the rest of the ingredients to a food processor, or you can chop by hand.

Taste for seasoning. I added a bit more chile powder, because I like it spicy.

Can be made a few days ahead and kept in the fridge, but bring to room temp before serving.

244"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried a new recipe today for lasagna made in a muffin tin using won ton wrappers for the noodles. It wasn't bad but I think I could improve the sauce.

Roomie announced that she will no longer be eating beef in addition to pork. She will only eat fish or chicken. We have a freezer full of beef. I told her she is on her own when it comes to meals.

245"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I tried a new recipe today for lasagna made in a muffin tin using won ton wrappers for the noodles. It wasn't bad but I think I could improve the sauce.

Roomie announced that she will no longer be eating beef in addition to pork. She will only eat fish or chicken. We have a freezer full of beef. I told her she is on her own when it comes to meals.

Sounds like someone we have living here! ..... The wives uncle... Mr Fussy

Won't eat pork because he's afraid to get worms. YET... He eats, AND Loves HAM!
Won't eat lobster, Crabs, or Catfish, because they are mud feeders.
Will only eat schrimp or salmon..... Tuna gives him mercury poisoning.
Will not eat butter. Allergic he says. Yet he eats ice cream, whipped cream, and butter cream cake icing.
Won't eat mayonnaise.....afraid to get salmonella.

246"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:06 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roomie sees these awful things on social media about animals and then won't eat that kind of food. She also won't eat white or wheat bread but she will eat rye. She won't eat anything cold 'cause it hurts her teeth. She won't drink anything cold either. She freaks out if she gets butter or mayo on her fingers. Trouble is she believes what she reads.

247"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:44 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

She will only eat fish or chicken

she is in for being a vegan then.show her some videos how chicken is treated and how fish is raised..

248"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:48 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Good idea. She has a live-in cook, housekeeper, and she turns her nose up at what I feed her. I might not want to eat meat either if I saw what she sees but, I won't watch those videos.

249"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Roomie sees these awful things on social media about animals and then won't eat that kind of food. She also won't eat white or wheat bread but she will eat rye. She won't eat anything cold 'cause it hurts her teeth. She won't drink anything cold either. She freaks out if she gets butter or mayo on her fingers. Trouble is she believes what she reads.

Exactly what the uncle does. He sees the weather, and if it mentions rain in SC..... he says " It's gonna rain, that's why I ache!"

The tv governs all his lives trivialities. The OTC pills too! He is hooked on taking an Aleve plus a Advil PM, plus a ear ringing pill, every single night just before bed.
And a must have two peanutbutter cookies, because he read where that stops one from peeing while asleep. I call them his Nopee cookies! What a Face

250"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roomie won't have anything but pink Himalayan salt because it has all of these minerals in it. I told her that it is such an insignificant amount that it isn't all that beneficial. It fell on deaf ears. She refuses to eat corn because of GMO's but it doesn't stop her from eating tortilla chips or taco shells. I am always reading about this or that being bad for you by someone who I have never heard of. Ok. Show me the scientific research and PROOF and then I might take you seriously. I remember being someplace where a man was holding court telling everyone that man was not meant to eat mea,t that our teeth were for grinding greens. WRONG! Our teeth are designed for tearing and we need meat for vitamin B12 if there aren't any supplements available. What is worse is these well meaning vegetarians who put their pets on a vegetarian diet. Cats must have meat for taurine or they will go blind. End of rant.LOl

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum