Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 21]

51August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb uses tons of vegetables in a frittata to use them up. I do a stir fry. It's my "clean-out-the-refrigerator" go-to when the vegetable drawers are just too stuffed. This one is a sort of Cashew Chicken....with bok choy, pea pods, home grown red peppers, onions, green onions and celery. It was pretty tasty ~ but I'll probably get tired of it by the time I eat all the leftovers.

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 08.05.15

52August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Barb uses tons of vegetables in a frittata to use them up.  I do a stir fry.  It's my "clean-out-the-refrigerator" go-to when the vegetable drawers are just too stuffed.  This one is a sort of Cashew Chicken....with bok choy, pea pods, home grown red peppers, onions, green onions and celery.  It was pretty tasty ~ but I'll probably get tired of it by the time I eat all the leftovers.

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 08.05.15

Looks good for leftover/ use it up stuff!
You know what would sound good to me? A meal like that, but using diced sausages like Brats. Umm.... the spicy ones.

53August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina breaded cubed staek so we can have chicken fried steak.
It was supposed to be Italian breaded steak, but she FORGOT to add the spices and garlic when she breaded them. LOL.... Now how forgetful is that??....She was laughing.

BTW... I did her a favor, and fried them. Like 16 of them.

54August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Corntomatocollage

Pie for me ...lol..

105`/108` today.. Stayed in...

55August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

OH Beth.. August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 4056093967 August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 3593629538

56August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:10 pm

NormM

NormM

Stir fry looks good. Tonight I am making enchiladas with left over brisket.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

57August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Stir fry looks good.  Tonight I am making enchiladas with left over brisket.

Norm...darn, you been a chewin on that brisket for a while, huh?....
It is / was, a gorgeous piece of delicious meat though!

58August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:18 pm

NormM

NormM

It's almost all gone now.

59August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:It's almost all gone now.

So, is that a Whew!....or is that a Ohhh NOOoo! ?

60August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:51 pm

NormM

NormM

A little of both. It was so good but it will be a lot of work to do another ones in the smoker. Cassie is wanting another pastrami. If I get a corned beef and don't make it myself, that won't be such a chore.

61August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:A little of both. It was so good but it will be a lot of work to do another ones in the smoker.  Cassie is wanting another pastrami.  If I get a corned beef and don't make it myself, that won't be such a chore.  

Yeah! I want to make another pastrami. Only this time, I will lower the temperature to 200º instead of the 250 I cooked the last one at. It was a little dry, and probably because Tina buys the really lean cuts.
Then as she was eating a sandwich, she noticed the fat was delicious that was on one section of the meat. She is a Fat Picker Offer person. She won't even eat the crispy charred fat on a Kansas Strip Steak. I just love to knaw on that crisp.
Just look at me, I don't look like I missed many a meal! August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 2876911673

One thing though, I must have seeded good Jewish rye bread, or Good dark Pumpernickle bread for pastrami, or corned beef.

62August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:15 am

NormM

NormM

I have been interested in Franklin BBQ in Texas. I ordered a book he wrote thinking it was going to be recipes with a little talk but it was all talk with a couple of recipes at the end. It made me rethink a lot about using my smoker and briskets. I smoked a couple of briskets in the last 20 years and they were OK but he made me realize that the temperatures i used to cook brisket to was too low and most store bought briskets were too lean. They all had the fat trimmed off and they all remove the point which like the ribeye to the strip steak. I don't know what temperature you cook the pastrami @ 250 to 200º it might be more juicy because the collagen will break down more. You might consider topping the brisket with bacon while it is cooking to baste it while it is cooking and keep it moist too.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365022294/ This is a good place to see about BBQ. It is only one of many.

63August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:29 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have been interested in Franklin BBQ in Texas. I ordered a book he wrote thinking it was going to be recipes with a little talk but it was all talk with a couple of recipes at the end. It made me rethink a lot about using my smoker and briskets. I smoked a couple of briskets in the last 20 years and they were OK but he made me realize that the temperatures i used to cook brisket to was too low and most store bought briskets were too lean.  They all had the fat trimmed off and they all remove the point which like the ribeye to the strip steak.   I don't know what temperature you cook the pastrami @ 250 to 200º it might be more juicy because the collagen will break down more. You might consider topping the brisket with bacon while it is cooking to baste it while it is cooking and keep it moist too.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365022294/ This is a good place to see about BBQ. It is only one of many.

Great thought about the bacon Norm.

64August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had leftovers for lunch and now, for supper, I'm not all that hungry.

I decided an ear of sweet corn would be enough to tide me over until tomorrow.

65August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I babysat all day.... what BS....
I can't get nothing done. In between feedings and lunch, and scrubbing up the bathroom, two times, and now supper.... I repaired the lawn mower; but too tired now to cut the grass / weeds / clover.
Tina had to go to the other Uncles to shop, and pick up their pills.

Then GD comes here for lunch working at her new job at wally world. She went back to work till 10 pm.
Tina is on her way back now, so she is picking up something for Mr fussy to eat.
I will have the two shrimp egg rolls and pork fried rice left from the other day.

Thank goodness for microwave ovens. Smile

66August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:09 pm

NormM

NormM

When I ask the kids what they want for dinner they always say they don't know. But when I give them a choice they do choose something. Yesterday I asked them to choose between Cuban Sandwiches, Seafood Enchilada Casserole and a Malaysian steak recipe. They chose the steak recipe. It was supposed to be serve with rice but I decided to roast potatoes instead.

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 DSCN2821_zpsv8gl1ss6

67August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:When I ask the kids what they want for dinner they always say they don't know.  But when I give them a choice they do choose something.  Yesterday I asked them to choose between Cuban Sandwiches, Seafood Enchilada Casserole and a Malaysian steak recipe.  They chose the steak recipe.  It was supposed to be serve with rice but I decided to roast potatoes instead.

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 DSCN2821_zpsv8gl1ss6

Looks great Norm. Almost like finger food, errrr, I mean maybe a toothpic.

68August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:32 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

very good looking. Love the roasted potatoes, too! Good to know if I want the recipe all I have to do is drop by your web site!

69August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks wonderful..I guess I will cook or grill something today lol.

70August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:very good looking.  Love the roasted potatoes, too!  Good to know if I want the recipe all I have to do is drop by your web site!

OK I just added the potato recipe. I added some creamed onions to the potatoes though.

71August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just a quick question about the beef recipe....

Is the ginger paste in a tube like the basil, dill, etc. in the produce section? I've not seen it around here. I'd probably just sub some freshly grated frozen ginger root I have.

72August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:07 pm

NormM

NormM

I did used freshly grated frozen ginger. I looked for some out of curiosity and didn't see any.

73August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided tonight was a good night for a crab feast.....baked potatoes and green beans rounded out my meal!

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 08.07.15

74August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The only ginger paste I have seen comes in a small jar. You can usually find it in the fresh produce section on those shelves that are under the produce tables. Christopher Ranch is one brand name.

75August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 3 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Last night I tried out a new side dish that was very good. The recipe had you boil those baby red potatoes until done. Drain and let dry and cool a bit in the pan. Then you take each potato and press on it till it get smashed into a thick patty. Those were browned on each side in butter. Took about 20 minutes. Grated cheddar was sprinkled on top and allowed to melt. Potatoes were plated with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions. Sort of like potato skins. I have been nibbling on some leftover cold ones today. I wish I could post a picture but our cameras are broken.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum