Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pasta and As Seen on TV

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Bugster2

What do you cook lasagna noodles in? The long noodles. I hate having to fill a large pot of water to cook those things in. It takes soooo long to bring the water to a boil. I thought I would see how an induction burner would work. They are advertised a boiling water up to 50% faster. I ordered one and gave it a test drive. I used about 5 quarts of cold water in my 7 quart All Clad pot. My gas stove, cranked up high, took 26 minutes. The induction took 23 mins. Packed it up and sent it back. Solly Cholly, not good enough.
So I started reading and found this As Seen on TV thing called the Fasta Pasta for a microwave. I know most of those things are junk but there is the occasional gem. I also read reviews from America's Test Kitchen, Consumer Reports and Amazon. They say it really works. So, I spent $20 and I will see how it works when it arrives.

What have you bought that is As Seen on TV and you really like?
I love the Ove-Glove (I own six) and the Vidalia Chop Wizard that I love for mincing shallots, chopping mass quantities of onions and cubing potatoes for potato salad.

2 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:20 pm

bethk

Admin
The only thing I ever bought due to an infomercial, many (MANY) years ago was a paint stripper that didn't have fumes and wasn't so toxic it could remove the skin off your hands. And it worked just as they advertised! Funny thing is, now I cannot recall the name of it......

Ah, 'old age' ~ not fun!

BTW - I 'boil' my lasagna noodles in a roasting pan that's long enough to accomodate them. I just bring the water to a boil and add the noodles and let 'em sit until the water cools off. That's usually long enough to soften them enough to use. I just make sure my sauce is 'liquid-y' enough to finish making them tender.

3 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Barbara101

Not me lol.I believe nothing pushed on TV.

However ..(lol) I keep thinking I want one of the set and forget roasters. I roast a chicken or 2 a week and now my oven needs cleaning from the popover grease. I have had my new range for over a year and am dreading turning on the self clean.Just for 3 hrs  for a light clean.So I thought about one of those.Easier to clean then my oven.lol.

I use no boil noodles.They work great..

The other thing for chopping is my FP . I just bought a hand held juicer. I am thinking about a OXO mandolin..My new FP disc is thin and I want thicker slices.Plus the tube is small.I swear I need a garage to just house my appliances.

4 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:23 pm

Barbara101

BTW - I 'boil' my lasagna noodles in a roasting pan that's long enough to accomodate them. I just bring the water to a boil and add the noodles and let 'em sit until the water cools off. That's usually long enough to soften them enough to use. I just make sure my sauce is 'liquid-y' enough to finish making them tender.

Great Idea..

5 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:30 pm

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote: I am thinking about a OXO mandolin..My new FP disc is thin and I want thicker slices.Plus the tube is small.I swear I need a garage to just house my appliances.

Barb - this is the slicer I have.  Actually, I have the one that was my Grandma's.  Love it!  Thick or thin.  Easy Peasy.  Just a quick rinse & dry.  Small enough to not take up much space.

I've seen 'em sold at Cracker Barrel Restaurants.....go figure.  Last time I saw one it was $9.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=feemster%27s+famous+vegetable+slicer&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=4967915337&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1z6kvctplw_e

6 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Bugster2

I thought of using a roaster but my roaster is not for stovetop use and will warp. I did try my 12" sauté pan but it wasn't quite deep enough.
As for the no boil noodles: I really don't like them. A textural thing with me.
When I get my gadget I will let you know how it works. If it is bad I will send it back. That is a nice thing about Amazon.

7 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:Not me lol.I believe nothing pushed on TV.

I do, now that you can google reviews on everything! When people feel taken, they're quick to get on the Net and trash something.

Barbara101 wrote:However ..(lol) I keep thinking I want one of the set and forget roasters. I roast a chicken or 2 a week and now my oven needs cleaning from the popover grease. I have had my new range for over a year and am dreading turning on the self clean.Just for 3 hrs  for a light clean.So I thought about one of those.Easier to clean then my oven.lol.

Well, I don't know how you use your oven in the summer, especially how much you rant about the heat, B, but don't use the self clean. If it's just that little you have to clean, go to Home Depot (or call your local grocery and see if they have it) and get some Krud Kutter. You can buy it in a hand sprayer bottle and it has no fumes, isn't toxic and doesn't hurt your hands. Brian hade a big spill in the oven recently (I didn't know about it) and then heated up the oven for something else. Needless to say, once the kitchen and more filled with smoke, he turned it off. The Krud Kutter was amazing at getting the cooked on stuff off. He didn't even bother using a scrubby like I would have (the one for non-stick pots) but rather used paper towels after spraying it and letting it sit for less than 10 minutes. And you could use the KK to keep the glass nice and clean on the inside, as for me, it's always the first thing to suffer.

I always wanted a self-cleaning oven until I heard some of the people here complain about it. I recommend reading some reviews online prior to using the self-clean option. I know your stove is new so it might be a better feature now.

Barbara101 wrote:I use no boil noodles.They work great..

Me, too.

8 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:04 pm

Bugster2

I like my self clean oven except for one thing: it gets up to 800 degrees and burns out my upper heating unit which costs almost $300 to fix. A very expensive self clean so I quit using it once I realized what was happening.

9 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:59 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:The only thing I ever bought due to an infomercial, many (MANY) years ago was a paint stripper that didn't have fumes and wasn't so toxic it could remove the skin off your hands.  And it worked just as they advertised!  Funny thing is, now I cannot recall the name of it......

Beth, I bought that too, and by the time I bought it, I was done renovating my 100 year old home and never got to use the stuff. I wasted my money but I'm glad it worked for you.

10 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I like my self clean oven except for one thing: it gets up to 800 degrees and burns out my upper heating unit which costs almost $300 to fix. A very expensive self clean so I quit using it once I realized what was happening.

I'm laughing, Bug, as you basically just said you DON'T like the self-cleaning option, or perhaps you do like it but never use it.  Is the upper heating unit you speak of a part of the stove?  

I always wanted a self-cleaning oven until people here started telling stories like you did about why they don't use the feature.  I no longer want to get a stove with a feature that I'm hesitant to use.  800 degrees?!  Heck, I wouldn't want that in the winter, as we use very little heat.  Nope, not for me.  

I'd kill to know how much electricity the stove uses during what Barbara said on her stove is three hours.  JIMMY?  Would you know?

Thank goodness, my stove is still kicking but recently I learned that a lot of the new gas stoves cannot be started when the electricity is off.  Not only do most cooks prefer gas stoves, but one of the benefits of having one in our locale is the ability to use it after a hurricane when we have no power.  Normally, like on mine, you just have to hold a match to the base of the flame to light it, as when the power is out, the electric starter no longer works.  No problem, right?  Well, I read lots of the new ones are unable to be lit when the power is off.  So I have to do some research prior to buying a new one when the time comes (hopefully, not soon)...  If I can't buy one, I'm going to have to find a local "Jimmy" who can rig it up so I can do so!

11 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Bugster2

Barb, I do like self cleaning stoves but I don't like that the heat burns out my oven's upper heating/broiling unit everytime I use it. Therefore I don't use it. My stove is a piece of junk.

12 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:08 pm

cookingirl

years ago, I had a gas stove, however it had an electric starter...same with them entire home heaters. During power failures, they do not work.....sigh.. what good is it to have gas in in the NorthEast if it does not work during a power outage???!! UGH Evil or Very Mad

I have an electric smooth top stove. A couple of years ago, (I have not used the oven much since then), I used the self clean. I had use that, plus use Easy-Off oven cleaner. I do not remember the electric bill to be elevated. I did use it in September, when I could keep the windows open.

I forgot all about Krud Cutter!!! I have seen it in Walmart, but has yet to try it. I think I need to...I want to have someone come over, help me move there refrigerator so I can clean the junk under it...
I cannot do it all myself, cuz my shoulder is not strong enough to do so...

I remember seeing the Ove Glove on TV. I was wondering if it was any good. Then I went for Thanksgiving Dinner at my Cousin's house. She had the OveGlove..She swore by it.

I went to the local Rite Aid pharmacy/store and picked one up....
Know what?? I love it!!

It is a bit big for my small hands, but it works so good!!

I wish I bought 2 of them. One for each hand!
It fits so much better than the regular oven mitts...

I rarely buy those things I see on TV.

Also bought the Ped-Egg.. That works great also....for smoothing down callous and ruff skin on feet...

I am cautious on what I buy...

Love it for cooking in my toaster oven also...

13 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Bugster2

I have the Ped Egg too. I am quite happy with it.

14 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Barbara101

Let me backtrack here..SCO scare the crap out of me.  They have killed birds with the fumes they let out. The window shatters..House fills up with fumes and smoke.And heat..

I have had 3 ranges that had it and never turned them on..My Mom had one and turned it on and I went home for the week end to check on her and I walked in the backdoor and the house stunk and was full of smoke .she had that thing running for almost 2 days !!!!!!!!!!!

I never turned it on..This new range has a HUGE oven and I can not reach the back. They also say do not use cleaners in it.I cleaned the door with B.soda and vinegar that works ..

Light clean is 3 hrs.I doubt I will turn it on..IDK..

15 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:41 am

Bugster2

Usually there are timers for the self clean. Mine goes from one to four hours and has an automatic shutoff and automatic lock on the door until it cools down to a safe range. Yes, there can be a smell but it just grease and food spills being incinerated. I kept the fan going and opened the kitchen window.

16 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 am

Barbara101

I kept the fan going and opened the kitchen window.

i have neither.. No

17 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:37 pm

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:I like my self clean oven except for one thing: it gets up to 800 degrees and burns out my upper heating unit which costs almost $300 to fix. A very expensive self clean so I quit using it once I realized what was happening.

I had that happen to several of my self cleaning ovens. We figured out the part to replace and fixed it the last time for $36. I just got a new oven yesterday and you can bet that I'm going to use the self clean a few times before the warranty goes out.

18 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Bugster2

Mine is a Dacor and the most worthless oven on the planet. If I am still alive when we retire we will move and I will get a new stove.

19 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:02 pm

Bugster2

I got my Fasta Pasta today and immediately gave it a test drive with my long lasagna noodles. I am thrilled. It took 16 minutes in the microwave vs 40 minutes on the stove. It comes with directions, cooking times, measuring holes etc. The pasta turned out perfectly.

20 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm

bethk

Admin
Well good for you! Glad it was as advertised.

21 Re: Pasta and As Seen on TV on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Bugster2

No more hauling that heavy pot of water from sink to stove and vice versa.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum