Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??"

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 20]

76 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:05 pm

bethk

Admin
Bugster2 wrote:When I make chicken soup, I brown the chicken with the skin on in oil. It gives the stock a nice color and little bit richer flavor.

I do that sometimes, too, Bugster.  When I do butter fried chicken and the skin gets all nice and browned, I call the stuff on the pan "essence of chicken".......sometimes it's on the roasting pan, too. Man, that's the BEST!

But like Michelle, I use all the skin & fat to simmer for my stock. After I'm done simmering it, when it's all just bits of this 'n that (none of the bones are connected anymore), it gets strained and cooled in a clean pot in a sinkfull of ice water to cool down. Then into the refrigerator overnight. The next day all the fat gets spooned off and the jellied stock gets heated and (most likely) strained through cheesecloth to remove the last bits of whatever. Then it's ready to be used or put into freezer containers.

This morning I made 'ham' stock ~ actually just a package of smoked ham hocks since I didn't have a ham bone. It simmered for a little over 8 hours and then I processed like I do with my chicken stock. It got well chilled in the ice water bath and now it's in the refrigerator. Tomorrow I'll use it to make a nice pot of bean soup that Dane's been whinning about. ((Big Baby)) I've got a pot of chili cooking on the stove right now. It will, hopefully, get packaged and froze for a later date.

Jimmy ~ you could always use a basting bulb to suck some of the de-fatted broth out of Tina's soup pot and use it to make your own soup. I think you're 'Cruisin' for a Bruisin' by messing with HER soup. LOL

77 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:When I make chicken soup, I brown the chicken with the skin on in oil. It gives the stock a nice color and little bit richer flavor.

I do that sometimes, too, Bugster.  When I do butter fried chicken and the skin gets all nice and browned, I call the stuff on the pan "essence of chicken".......sometimes it's on the roasting pan, too.  Man, that's the BEST!

But like Michelle, I use all the skin & fat to simmer for my stock.  After I'm done simmering it, when it's all just bits of this 'n that (none of the bones are connected anymore), it gets strained and cooled in a clean pot in a sinkfull of ice water to cool down.  Then into the refrigerator overnight.  The next day all the fat gets spooned off and the jellied stock gets heated and (most likely) strained through cheesecloth to remove the last bits of whatever.  Then it's ready to be used or put into freezer containers.

This morning I made 'ham' stock ~ actually just a package of smoked ham hocks since I didn't have a ham bone.  It simmered for a little over 8 hours and then I processed like I do with my chicken stock.  It got well chilled in the ice water bath and now it's in the refrigerator.  Tomorrow I'll use it to make a nice pot of bean soup that Dane's been whinning about.  ((Big Baby))  I've got a pot of chili cooking on the stove right now.  It will, hopefully, get packaged and froze for a later date.  

Jimmy ~ you could always use a basting bulb to suck some of the de-fatted broth out of Tina's soup pot and use it to make your own soup.  I think you're 'Cruisin' for a Bruisin' by messing with HER soup.  LOL

Yeah Beth! I better watch out.... lol

One comment I have is... a few years ago ( like 8 ) I was watching Alton Brown, and he said," SOoooo.... You want to make a pot of chicken stock huh?
SOoooo You throw all the chicken with bones and veffies, and blast the heat on that pot and create a boiling pot of what will turn out to be, a glob of Jello!!

And in his mannerisms he was shaking his nervous head and body and hands all at the same time in a No No No Gesture.
He said, the bones give off collagen when rapidly boiled, and that creates a jello like  consistency in the liquid. You Must start with a Low Low heat source. Start Low, and Keep it Low for a couple hours. That way you will have all the flavors in your broth, and it will be able to pour easily for future use.

I know when T makes the pigs feet, it jells. She loves the jelly, and sucks it down like a wet and dry vacuum cleaner.

Just a mention here! I'm gonna see if I can find A B's article on that.
It taught me something I never knew. pale

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/75/Turkey-or-Chicken-Stock

I just looked for the episode, but could not find it.
The site / recipe I added is from Alton Brown. Does mention the Jelling, but not clear to me about if cooking longer, creates more jell????  

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

78 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Bugster2

You are right Jimmy. The chefs say to bring the water to a very slow simmer, just a bubble or two, and simmer long and slow for a clear, not cloudy stock.

79 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:59 pm

bethk

Admin
My DD#1 does her chicken stock in the oven overnight. Low oven. Everything in a covered roasting pan or stock pot. In the morning the stock is a beautiful, CLEAR stock.

I love it when my child can teach me something I didn't know!

80 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:03 pm

bethk

Admin
Hey, BARB!

I saw this on tastespotting and thought of YOU, immediately!

http://thebitesizedbaker.com/2015/06/26/roasted-sweet-potatoes-and-fresh-figs/

81 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:You are right Jimmy. The chefs say to bring the water to a very slow simmer, just a bubble or two, and simmer long and slow for a clear, not cloudy stock.

Thanks bugs.... glad I wasn't dreaming that.
I added the recipe from Alton that does mention the collagen gelling the stock,
but I could not find the old old episode from his earlier shows of Good Eats!
The network may have extracted it.

I will say, I never boil the hell out of any soup I make. On the other hand, Tina always has a rolling boil in her soup pot. She claims the jell is the good stuff.
N O T for Jimmy here!!! I won't eat the soup like that after it's melted.
It smells like a chicken on the feather plucking rotor at the chicken market.
S T I N K !!!!!!!!

82 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My DD#1 does her chicken stock in the oven overnight.  Low oven.  Everything in a covered roasting pan or stock pot.  In the morning the stock is a beautiful, CLEAR stock.  

I love it when my child can teach me something I didn't know!

OOooooooo!!!! I like th th th that Beth! ( sound like Porky P P P Pig here ) pig
How low are we talking with the temperature?? Please!

83 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:15 pm

bethk

Admin
Overnight, Jimmy....She usually is in bed by 10 p.m. and up to take care of stuff when the children leave for school....around 8:30 a.m. I don't know for sure, but I'm figurin' she turns off the oven when she gets up to make coffee around 6 a.m. and just lets the pot sit until she gets around to dealing with it. I think she sets the oven for 250°.

It started raining (just light rain today) about the time I wanted to start the grill for burgers....too much bother to push the grill around so it could sit beneath the awning. I was afraid if I did move the grill we would get the downpour we had yesterday and then the awning has to be retracted. So, the broiler of the toaster oven worked just fine. Microwaved broccoli and crispy 'golden' potato crowns to go along side:

Oh, and Jimmy......IF I didn't know any better I'd swear Dane was reading your post about messing around with Ms. Tina's soup. When I was prepping for supper I got a small skillet out and put it on the cold burner in anticipation of toasting my hamburger buns and then frying the potato crowns. When my back was turned away Dane decided he wanted to decide how much olive oil was used for frying the potatoes and he added his desired amount in my cold skillet.

"DARN IT!" (replace with the explative you KNOW I actually said.....) and I shot a look at him that was intended to explode his head. IF YOU WANT TO COOK SUPPER, JUST SAY SO. OTHERWISE STAY THE HECK (refer above....) OUT OF MY WAY AND DON'T MESS WITH MY STUFF.

I poured the oil into the sink and washed the skillet before I continued......

So, give Tina a big hug for me. Tell her, "Beth understands...."

She'll know what I mean.

LOL

84 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:But like Michelle, I use all the skin & fat to simmer for my stock. After I'm done simmering it, when it's all just bits of this 'n that (none of the bones are connected anymore), it gets strained and cooled in a clean pot in a sinkfull of ice water to cool down. Then into the refrigerator overnight. The next day all the fat gets spooned off and the jellied stock gets heated and (most likely) strained through cheesecloth to remove the last bits of whatever. Then it's ready to be used or put into freezer containers.

Yep, we've talked before about both of us not liking the "bits of this 'n that" in the bottom of the stock pot! I use a chinois to strain mine and often, after removing the fat, reduce it further for what I could "double stock." Even if I don't, I do heat it and strain it once more prior to using or freezing in the containers I want.

Nothing like a pot of stock simmering on the stove for good smells! Not in this heat, though!

We're finishing off the smoked brisket tonight. I'm going to saute some onion slices, then add some beef au jus to the skillet and simmer them a while. Then I'll add the leftover smoked brisket slices to the pan. Have to use that up prior to moving on to something else. Brian will probably have an openfaced sandwich. I usually just prefer the meat and the au jus.

My appetite has never gotten back to normal since I've had the intense back pain, though my back is much, much better. I'm still in pain all the time but it's not that immobilizing stabbing burning pain that it was for months. And at least now, I can find a comfortable position sitting on the couch most of the time, though I have to change my position often. I can also walk a bit faster and stand up much straighter, but not straight enough. I'm still going to opt, though, for the procedure on my back as soon as the doc gets around to scheduling it, which I think he'll do at my next appointment. All the pre-procedure tests have taken forever but I knew they would. Have to see the PH doc on Thursday and get an echocardiogram and with the okay from the PH doc (also a cardiologist), I think it's an all clear for the ortho surgeon. Hopefully, she will clear me...

85 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm

bethk

Admin
Good thoughts comin' your way, Michelle! I hope the docs can give you some relief after such a long time.

86 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Barbara101

dang it.. I could have grilled some figs with my sweet P.

grilled poke chop...sweetP...

87 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:25 pm

bethk

Admin
Yummy! (I love pork and sweet potatoes together.)

88 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:09 am

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:You are right Jimmy. The chefs say to bring the water to a very slow simmer, just a bubble or two, and simmer long and slow for a clear, not cloudy stock.

I will say, I never boil the hell out of any soup I make. On the other hand, Tina always has a rolling boil in her soup pot. She claims the jell is the good stuff.
N O T for Jimmy here!!!   I won't eat the soup like that after it's melted.
S   T   I   N   K   !!!!!!!!

Jimmy, I heard that also, several times as a matter of fact.
When I make chicken soup, I put it on a low boil for several hours.

I do it a lot different from you guys. It was the way my mom made it, mixed with a bit of myself.
It takes hours.

My mom used an entire chicken, and a high roaring boil. I like the flavor of dark meat, so I use chicken legs/thighs.
I keep the skin on and remove  a lot of the fat.

I also put the onion, along with crushed peppercorns, in a makeshift cheesecloth 'bag', tied with butcher string. Makes it easier for clean up. I also get a bunch of parsley and tie it with the string, and plop it in.

I was taught to make it in a used pot, now I cook for just me, so I cut down.
I put the chicken in a pot with water, start boiling. When the scum and foam come to the top, I keep skimming it until it is just about gone.
Then I add the onion and parsley after about a half hour.
Cook until chicken is fork tender.
Remove chicken, onion bag and parsley.
Then I put in the small slices of celery and carrot coins, cooking until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

That is it. I do not strain it.

I do put a bit of the broth in with the separated chicken.

I do find that the lower the boil the clear the broth.

I cook the pasta separately in water and add as wanted to the hot soup.

That is the way my mom, dad and grandmother made soup.
Of course once my dad started with high cholesterol, we were much stricter with skimming the fat off.

I freeze it along with the veggies in separate containers, leaving out the pasta.

89 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:08 am

Bugster2

You are right. Leave out the pasta when freezing. It turns to mush.

90 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

N O T for Jimmy here!!!   I won't eat the soup like that after it's melted.
S   T   I   N   K   !!!!!!!!

Jimmy, I heard that also, several times as a matter of fact.
When I make chicken soup, I put it on a low boil for several hours.

I do it a lot different from you guys. It was the way my mom made it, mixed with a bit of myself.
It takes hours.

My mom used an entire chicken, and a high roaring boil. I like the flavor of dark meat, so I use chicken legs/thighs.
I keep the skin on and remove  a lot of the fat.

I also put the onion, along with crushed peppercorns, in a makeshift cheesecloth 'bag', tied with butcher string. Makes it easier for clean up. I also get a bunch of parsley and tie it with the string, and plop it in.

I was taught to make it in a used pot, now I cook for just me, so I cut down.
I put the chicken in a pot with water, start boiling. When the scum and foam come to the top, I keep skimming it until it is just about gone.
Then I add the onion and parsley after about a half hour.
Cook until chicken is fork tender.
Remove chicken, onion bag and parsley.
Then I put in the small slices of celery and carrot coins, cooking until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

That is it. I do not strain it.

I do put a bit of the broth in with the separated chicken.

I do find that the lower the boil the clear the broth.

I cook the pasta separately in water and add as wanted to the hot soup.

That is the way my mom, dad and grandmother made soup.
Of course once my dad started with high cholesterol, we were much stricter with skimming the fat off.

I freeze it along with the veggies in separate containers, leaving out the pasta.

That sounds like a good way to make the soup stock cookingirl.
Sometimes, I will cook the celery / onions / then when the soup is almost done, I will strain the soup, then put the onions and celery in the blender, and liquifie that after I pick out the chicken. Then add it back into the soup, throw in the carrots, and cook about 20 minutes or so till carrots are done. Diced carrots.
I hate the big carrots in soup.

Right now, I am going to grill and char the pigs feet, and fresh ham hocks that Tina is going to make tonight. They will be boiling for hours in peppercorns, and tons of garlic cloves. affraid pig

91 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:32 pm

Barbara101

This may be dinner.I do not feel like cooking..

92 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:44 pm

bethk

Admin
This is 'soup week'....there was a "severe shortage of frozen soup", or so reported by Mr. Amazing ~ so yesterday I made stock out of some smoked hocks in anticipation of a pot of bean soup and made a pot of chili. Today I packaged up the chili and got it into the freezer and then took the fat layer off my ham stock and continued with the bean soup. I use to only make bean soup with the mayocoba beans but a certain 'other person' has requested the famous HamBeens 15-bean soup.

So, I've smelled cooking soup for two days. He had chili tonight. Tomorrow he'll want bean soup.

I ended up having a bowl of yogurt with strawberries, blueberries & BearNaked Granola for my supper. It was just the right thing for me tonight.

It's just like when cooking all day (or all week) for a large holiday meal. All the smells fill me up and take away my appetite. I had no desire for a meal tonight ~ well, not a 'meal' in a traditional sense. The yogurt and fruit was enough to fill me up.

93 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:46 pm

bethk

Admin
Barbara101 wrote:
This may be dinner.I do not feel like cooking..

Looks like a perfect 'meal' to me!

94 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

The house smells like the Oscar Mayer Hot Dog Kitchen..... 8 pigs feet, and 4 ham hocks
cooking in a big pot with a whole head or so of garlic, and peppercorns.

Had steak for supper....sweet potato with butter, and corn on the cob. 3
stuffed like a pig.

95 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:45 pm

NormM

Cassie was using the kitchen to bake for a client so i baked potatoes and grilled pork loin on the grill. Made green beans, salad and cream of broccoli inside on top of stove. Cassie was using the oven.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

96 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Cassie was using the kitchen to bake for a client so i baked potatoes and grilled pork loin on the grill.  Made green beans, salad and cream of broccoli inside on top of stove.  Cassie was using the oven.

Looks great Norm.
BTW... did they take the old grill when they delivered the new one?
or, did someone take it for free, to get rid of it?

(( Junkyard Jim ))

97 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:10 pm

NormM

Thanks Jimmy. They took the old one away, no problem.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

98 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Thanks Jimmy.  They took the old one away, no problem.

That certainly was nice of them.
I'm sure it's worth something considering also, that grill had cooked a lot of Grill Chef Norms fabulous meals.

Almost like having an old guitar from Elvis.

99 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:48 am

Imelda HL

soup in my kitchen too... we went to get some green veggies at our local store for my bean soup, then I saw ham hocks and some meaty short ribs on sale, so we picked some of those, it was 2 pm, so I took out my pressure cooker, cooked dry beans, ham hock and short ribs with 1 tbsp of my chili sauce, added some nutmeg, I cooked until the meat fell off the bones, then I added my sauteed onions, red bell pepper, celery, it turned out so good, it was hot, spicy and tangy

Very Happy

100 Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:soup in my kitchen too... we went to get some green veggies at our local store for my bean soup, then I saw ham hocks and some meaty short ribs on sale, so we picked some of those, it was 2 pm, so I took out my pressure cooker, cooked dry beans, ham hock and short ribs with 1 tbsp of my chili sauce, added some nutmeg, I cooked until the meat fell off the bones, then I added my sauteed onions, red bell pepper, celery, it turned out so good, it was hot, spicy and tangy

Very Happy

The soup looks great Imelda.

Beth made bean soup....you made soup....Now I need to make soup.
I have ham frozen from Easter. Then I would make the 16 bean soup.
The only thing with bean soup, is no good macaroni to find that would be fitting to eat with the soup. ??... rice?? no..... potato dumplings? ..maybe small ones?
I don't know. I have to think on that...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum