Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??"

+5
NormM
Bugster2
Barbara101
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 20]

51(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

You probably know this, but Tina and I just learned, if you throw the yellow onion skins in the soup while it is cooking, it will color the soup yellow. Then pull out and discard the skins when the soup is cooked.
We tried it, and it worked.

Yes, Jimmy, I did know that.  An old Jewish lady taught me that way back when??  She's the one who told me to use whole chickens and remove the breast meat so it could be used as meat in the soup later.  But the rest of everything had to be simmered all day to get the best flavor and the jelly out of the bones.  I didn't think only a couple whole onions with skins would make a difference, but it sure did!  Sometimes I'd even peel the rest of the onions I had just so I could throw the extra skins in my stock.

Great looking meal, Barb!  Looks like you had a feast!  Our meal(s) were wonderful.  The guys sat at one end of the table with their steak dinners and Lyn & I sat at the other end of the table because Bill doesn't like seafood.  She and I stuffed ourselves.

Jimmy - who got to get the cheeks off that pig?  That's probably the best eating on the whole hog!
I don't know. Maybe they are in the bag of bones and meat DD brought over.

52(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I cooked the pork country ribs, and the toaster oven took a crap.
I finished the ribs on the grill .... Good, but I just got to eat a 1/2 burger, with no bun.
I was deathly sick and dizzy today. Started early am at like 3 am. Sick to my stomach, diarrhea, stomach cramps, weakness! I thought I was poisoned??....
I ate a lot of strange stuff at the party yesterday. I was popping down deviled eggs, and Tina said they were watery, and smelled funny. I don't think they agreed with me. >?

Anyway...I am just coming around to feeling ok ;so far.

53(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:14 am

NormM

NormM

The new grill worked just fine. Seems to me that deviled eggs could be a potential poison bomb just waiting to happen.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

54(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:34 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The new grill worked just fine.  Seems to me that deviled eggs could be a potential poison bomb just waiting to happen.

Come to find out... Tina had an deviled egg too, and she said it didn't taste right either.
She left the party at 4, to run a hot dog over to the uncle. She said she felt dizzy, and had a weird feeling climbing the steps. She said she had felt sick, and had diarrhea also.
Who knows? .... could have been anything.

And..... the funny part of all this is......... Tina boiled 8 hard boiled eggs today!
She said,"Oh hon, just so you know, I made us some hard boiled eggs to make sliced egg sandwiches!" ..... Woopy Doo I can't wait! Mad

55(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner for whomever, will be what they make for themselves.
Leftovers are backing up in the fridge....
Chicken salad, pork ribs I made yesterday.... macaroni salad... lasagna.... hard boiled eggs ( gulp! ) to make sliced egg samiches and bread and butter pickles on the side.

Supposed to be 79 today, but humid air moving up. Toaster Oven took a fit, and does what it wants to do. 3 years, so it served us well. Tina uses the toaster oven a lot. Especially in the summer so as not to heat up the kitchen by using the gas oven.

56(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought some figs and plums so I am going to grill them on a stick  lol.

57(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:30 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:And this little piggy....went..Oh! Well!

DD cooking her pig.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 DUDyqW

poor piggie Laughing  did you eat the skin Jimmy? it's the best part, a whole roasted baby pig costs about $200 here, it's very popular in Asian culinary, mostly for big celebrations or religious ritual... here is one we had to celebrate Chinese new year a few years back

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Poor%20baby%20pig_zpscui7uetd

58(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I really like when I have the time to slowly render the woven bacon for sandwiches.  It makes such a difference to the whole sandwich.

Bacon, Lettuce, Avacado & Tomato sandwich ready to assemble:

BLAT, Potato Salad and chips....

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 07.03.15%20BLT

Thanks for your idea Beth, your pics reminded me that I still had a bag a bacon, so I chopped some strips of them and added to my ground beef, we had a very tasty burger on 4th of July

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 8_zps9jjfrn25

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 7_zpsd5vff2x6

59(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:34 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Stuffed%20figs

grilled figs stuffed ..

60(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, my oh my! Lovely, Imelda! Your baby piglet looks like the skin is PERFECT! The only problem with doing a whole piglet or hog is you need to have so many people to eat it all. I much prefer small gatherings. (Less people to irritate me! LOL)

Barb, what did you stuff your fresh figs with? Please, IF you used goat cheese....just say you can't remember! Hahahahaha....you know how I am!

Tonight I made some Johnsonville Chicken Apple Sausages. It rained so I didn't use the grill, just steamed them to heat them and then under the broiler to crisp up the skins a bit. Don't think I'll get them again. The texture was too smooth and was more like a cheap hot dog texture instead of a sausage. The flavor was really bland, IMO. But, I did make some good sweet potato/onion/apple hash ~ seasoned with butter, s&p and a tiny bit of fresh thyme leaves.

The best part of the meal was the Conch Peas (aka: Lady Peas). Our neighbor went to a local Farmers' Market and saw them, knew what they were, and gifted us with a quart bag of the fresh shucked peas. I simmered them in salted, buttered water for about 30 minutes until they were tender. They tasted somewhat between a black eyed pea and a baby lima bean....really good to us ~ we both love vegetables like that. I have some leftovers I think I'll heat up for lunch with a bit of bacon. And there's enough of the raw for 2 more meals. I may have to freeze some....wonder if I should blanch them before I freeze? Better check that out....unless Michelle knows!

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 07.06.15

61(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Barb, what did you stuff your fresh figs with? Please, IF you used goat cheese....just say you can't remember! Hahahahaha....you know how I am!

I can't remember .. scratch geek

Funny you said that about those sausages .I thought the same thing. I wanted them to taste like apple.

I have had those peas , my mom used to buy them. Hummm forgot about them too.lol

62(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! Imelda's pig and burgers look so good.
Barb .... I love figs. Especially stuffed...
Beth... I'll pass on the chicken sausage....but the other stuff looks yummy good.

No clue for supper here. Tina is gonna make a chicken salad sandwich for herself.

Gabe will get a griddled cheese for supper. Potato chips, and a piece of coconut cake with plain icing. He hates coconut shreds or flakes.

63(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Brochette2

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Brochette4

64(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:59 pm

NormM

NormM

It was a nice day to BBQ. At least it started out that way. Here is the smoker going this morning with some spare ribs inside. Beside it is my new grill. The next picture is after 2 hours, just before I wrapped it and the last picture is after another two hours, all the time at an average of about 235º. As I took it off it started raining. Then it started pouring down. I went to the store to get a few things to finish dinner but the storm sirens went off and the radio started warning of tornadoes sighted and the store closed so now I'll have to figure out what to have with the ribs that we already have in the fridge.

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 DSCN2717_zpsjeefvugp

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 DSCN2718_zpsadyaypm9

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 DSCN2721_zpsx1cxvvpa

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

65(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Aw, man, Norm....best laid plans & all!

But those ribs look great!

We had rain today, too, but it was our typical "clouds from the east meet clouds from the west" ~ a huge downpour for about an hour and then it quits. We got 3 1/2" in that hour. But 20 minutes later it's all absorbed and just cleaned off the grass.

66(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:Yes, Jimmy, I did know that. An old Jewish lady taught me that way back when?? She's the one who told me to use whole chickens and remove the breast meat so it could be used as meat in the soup later. But the rest of everything had to be simmered all day to get the best flavor and the jelly out of the bones. I didn't think only a couple whole onions with skins would make a difference, but it sure did! Sometimes I'd even peel the rest of the onions I had just so I could throw the extra skins in my stock.

I never peel the onions when making stock; I just cut them in quarters through the stem end. I'm going to strain all the vegetables out anyway when the stock is done regardless of what I'm going to do with it. You always start with "fresh" vegetables whether you're making soup or something else you're going to use some stock in. Makes no sense to peel 'em.

Regarding blanching prior to freezing those beans, Beth, I'm not familiar with that type of bean but if I were you, I would not blanch 'em prior to freezing. They seem a lot more pea-like from your description so I think they might end up being too soft when defrosted and cooked. A lot of the old people around here would put them in a container, cover them with water and [i]then[i] freeze them. You certainly wouldn't hurt them by NOT blanching them IMO....

67(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Barb, what did you stuff your fresh figs with? Please, IF you used goat cheese....just say you can't remember! Hahahahaha....you know how I am!

I can't remember .. scratch geek

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2876911673 (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2876911673 (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2876911673 (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2876911673 (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 2876911673

(Thanks! Even just thinking about the smell of that stuff makes me think of , well, you know....)

68(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:It was a nice day to BBQ. At least it started out that way. Here is the smoker going this morning with some spare ribs inside. Beside it is my new grill. The next picture is after 2 hours, just before I wrapped it and the last picture is after another two hours, all the time at an average of about 235º. As I took it off it started raining. Then it started pouring down.

Nice pics, Norm.  Brian ended up smoking the half a brisket on the 4th as well even though I thought he'd do it the day before.  And BETH, putting the rub on it prior to freezing worked out well; he just dried it well after defrosting and added a new dusting of rub.

Brian, too, aims for 235 degrees and manages to always keep it between 225 and 250.  He took the brisket off after almost 4.5 hours when the temp reached 165.  Then he wrapped it tightly in foil and put it back on for another hour, until it reached 185.  It was just as good as the last one, if not better!  Luckily, he didn't remember I'd offered to make some biscuits (the man loves bread of any type!) as I didn't feel like it at the end of the day.  He wouldn't have really minded so I figured why bring it up?! Laughing

Just like at your house, just as he took it off the smoker, it started to rain.  After a few minutes, it was indeed a deluge.  We ended up getting about 1.5 inches of rain in almost 30 minutes.  We were lucky, though, as he didn't have to run to the store after that.  Knowing your cooking ability and the stuff you usually have on hand, I'll bet you had no problem coming up with some delicious sides!

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

69(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hmmm, in a container w/water (like we do with fresh fish fillets...).

Gotta think on that one. Thanks, Michelle!

70(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

When I make chicken soup, I boil the breast , then cool and cut it in perfect small pieces.Onions are diced, and carrots and celery are diced. I do not use the skin.
The skin is way too fatty for me.
My secret ingredient is a single clove of garlic whole, and a 1/2 small tomato cut in 1/4's for color.

71(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:When I make chicken soup, I boil the breast , then cool and cut it in perfect small pieces.Onions are diced, and carrots and celery are diced. I do not use the skin.
My secret ingredient is a single clove of garlic whole, and a 1/2 small tomato cut in 1/4's for color.

I do use the skin when making stock, as I like the flavor it -- and all the fat, for that matter -- adds but then I remove the fat before using or freezing the stock.

You made me laugh, Jimmy, with your "perfect small pieces."   Laughing

72(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:22 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

When I make chicken soup, I brown the chicken with the skin on in oil. It gives the stock a nice color and little bit richer flavor.

73(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:When I make chicken soup, I boil the breast , then cool and cut it in perfect small pieces.Onions are diced, and carrots and celery are diced. I do not use the skin.

I do use the skin when making stock, as I like the flavor it -- and all the fat, for that matter -- adds but then I remove the fat before using or freezing the stock.

You made me laugh, Jimmy, with your "perfect small pieces."   Laughing

Tina likes the fat and skin when she makes soup. Just the other day, she made chicken soup because she felt lousy.
The fat was floating on top, and when she went to nap, I was spooning off the fat that was floating on top. She blew a hissy fit, and saying " leave MY soup alone!" That pixxed me off. When she was asleep, I took a brand new sponge, and held it on top the grease, and sucked up all the fat in the sponge.

Later, she woke up, and saw the soup with no grease on top! She said,"I see you took all the medicine off the top of the soup!" I said, " you want your medicine, grab the sponge in the trash can, and suck on that!"..... No talking to me for that day. "She was as irritated as if she had sand in her panties!"

When anyone eats MY soup, everything fits on the spoon. king
When anyone eats HER soup, they better bring a shovel! queen

74(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:When anyone eats MY soup, everything fits on the spoon.  king  
When anyone eats HER soup, they better bring a shovel!  queen

I don't mind using a shovel, Jimmy, as the soup always looks so homemade that way.  I'm with you, though, about removing the grease on top.

But if I were you, next time I would leave the lady's soup alone!  You can always serve yourself a bowl and de-grease it first.  But I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time cutting up the ingredients in front of the lady either!

I will, by the way, be using your line about "sand in the panties!"    Wink

75(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 3 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:When anyone eats MY soup, everything fits on the spoon.  king  
When anyone eats HER soup, they better bring a shovel!  queen

I don't mind using a shovel, Jimmy, as the soup always looks so homemade that way.  I'm with you, though, about removing the grease on top.

But if I were you, next time I would leave the lady's soup alone!  You can always serve yourself a bowl and de-grease it first.  But I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time cutting up the ingredients in front of the lady either!

I will, by the way, be using your line about "sand in the panties!"    Wink

Yeah! Home made it is! I will just make my own soup if I want chicken soup.
My soup is surgically pure! ....

Tina throws in whole carrots and whole celery. I Love Celery, but whole??
Nyet!

Tina is a great cook.... a Wholesome Cook!

I will say, "Sand in her panties" surely is better than "A worm in her coolie!"
That one is a weeks worth of the silent treatment!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum