Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??"

+5
NormM
Bugster2
Barbara101
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 20]

101(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:28 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:soup in my kitchen too... we went to get some green veggies at our local store for my bean soup, then I saw ham hocks and some meaty short ribs on sale, so we picked some of those, it was 2 pm, so I took out my pressure cooker, cooked dry beans, ham hock and short ribs with 1 tbsp of my chili sauce, added some nutmeg, I cooked until the meat fell off the bones, then I added my sauteed onions, red bell pepper, celery, it turned out so good, it was hot, spicy and tangy

Very Happy

The soup looks great Imelda.

Beth made bean soup....you made soup....Now I need to make soup.
I have ham frozen from Easter. Then I would make the 16 bean soup.
The only thing with bean soup, is no good macaroni to find that would be fitting to eat with the soup. ??... rice?? no..... potato dumplings? ..maybe small ones?
I don't know. I have to think on that...

I ate mine with rice, Dirk ate his with buttery toast

102(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:soup in my kitchen too... we went to get some green veggies at our local store for my bean soup, then I saw ham hocks and some meaty short ribs on sale, so we picked some of those, it was 2 pm, so I took out my pressure cooker, cooked dry beans, ham hock and short ribs with 1 tbsp of my chili sauce, added some nutmeg, I cooked until the meat fell off the bones, then I added my sauteed onions, red bell pepper, celery, it turned out so good, it was hot, spicy and tangy

Very Happy

The soup looks great Imelda.

Beth made bean soup....you made soup....Now I need to make soup.
I have ham frozen from Easter. Then I would make the 16 bean soup.
The only thing with bean soup, is no good macaroni to find that would be fitting to eat with the soup. ??... rice?? no..... potato dumplings? ..maybe small ones?
I don't know. I have to think on that...

I ate mine with rice, Dirk ate his with buttery toast

Buttered toast to me, goes with everything. LOL
I thought maybe some cheese or meat tortellini. Probably meat.

103(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I added a package of chopped ham to my beans when I was cooking them....just tiny nuggets of fresh meat since I strained everything from when I simmered the hocks & vegetables to make my stock. My soup is thick with beans....oh, I did add one small can of cannolini beans to the pot to give a different texture. The canned beans break down more than the dried (soaked) beans and give something to the thickness of the liquid in the end.

I think adding a bit of rice, as Imelda does, would be a good serving suggestion. Of course, knowing Imelda, she also added a good spoonful of her chili sauce to her bowl.

104(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:54 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok ,,,no soup for me. but I can make pot of beans ..lol I got the message.

105(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:16 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just saw an interesting video on how to tell if an avocado is under-ripe, ripe, or over-ripe by another method other than the squeeze test. Pick out the stem and take a look at the color. If it is green it is under-ripe. Brown is over-ripe and yellow is just ripe. I never knew that.

106(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:29 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina read someplace in a cooking site, that when cooking beans, to prevent them from being hard, do not salt them until they are cooked soft before adding salt.

I made baked beans from scratch, and using dried beans. I soaked them overnight, washed and cooked them with salt. I cooked those beans for 6 hours, and they were still hard.
Maybe it was because of the salt?

107(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:34 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

108(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Good Morning bugs.
Yeah!.... thanks for that article.
That May have been what Tina tried to tell me, and possibly I misunderstood or whatever.
Although, for the times I had ever soaked dry beans overnight, I never salted the in a brine......
Break up the Ions huh?.... I like it. I know when I need to loosen a rusty nut or bolt, I tap it several times, and wait 2 minutes before attempting to unbolt it. and 9 out of 10 times it works.

109(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina read someplace in a cooking site, that when cooking beans, to prevent them from being hard, do not salt them until they are cooked soft before adding salt.

I made baked beans from scratch, and using dried beans. I soaked them overnight, washed and cooked them with salt. I cooked those beans for 6 hours, and they were still hard.
Maybe it was because of the salt?

I've never had problem cooking beans, I usually cook with slow cooker, but yesterday I cooked with pressure cooker because it was late when we got home from the store, so I put everything in pressure cooker, the beans were tender before the ribs/hocks, so I had to fish them out and continued cooking the ribs/hocks..the whole cooking process took 1 and half hours...
Usually when I cook meat or ribs or beans or chickens, I like to let them boil for a few minutes, then discard the water and add clean water to resume them.. IMO, this way I'll have clearer broth/soup

110(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina bought two bags of Vidalia onions. I am thinking of frying the onions till translucent, and then adding scrambled eggs to cook with the onions nice and slow till firmly set and cooked.

I remember my mom, would fry onions like that, and make light toast; buttered lightly, and then pile the fried onions on the toast to make just a plain ole onion sandwich.
As kids, bro and I ate onions, but not like that.
Mom said, a lot of onions calms the nerves. ? ? ? ? We kids silently thought,"Good Ma, you sure are a lot better when you're calm!"

111(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since I can't cook with garlic (upsets Mr. Amazing's system....) onions are my #1 'go to' for flavor. I've always loved 'em anyway I cooked 'em.

112(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making a pot of mushroom soup to put into the freezer. I guess I'm on a 'soup roll' ! I'll post the recipe in the appropriate section. It's one Rich (from the old forum) sent me a link to. The surprising ingredient is freshly grated nutmeg. You wouldn't think that would be a 'soup' ingredient but it's really good with the mushrooms.

113(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love onions too but can only eat them cooked, not raw and I love them raw on a burger.

114(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Usually when I cook meat or ribs or beans or chickens, I like to let them boil for a few minutes, then discard the water and add clean water to resume them.. IMO, this way I'll have clearer broth/soup[/color][/b]

For some reason, I think I remember there is a cooking term for boiling and then discarding the water, starting over. It's something about removing the 'scum', sealing the protein....something like that. And the reason IS to have a clear stock / broth when done.

OK, friends ~ help me out here. Is there a technical term for that method or is my brain playing tricks on me?

115(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Since I can't cook with garlic (upsets Mr. Amazing's system....) onions are my #1 'go to' for flavor.  I've always loved 'em anyway I cooked 'em.  

Same with me going heavy on the garlic. I love garlic, but lately. my system cannot handle too much of it. I would never think I would use one clove of micro planed garlic in my meatballs, or sometimes a sprinkle of granulated garlic as opposed to fresh.
I used yo love those garlic knots with like a hundred minced garlic pieces. Nope, not anymore. That's an invitation to GERD. I would need 6 slices of burnt toast, and tea to help digest that. LOL

116(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I love onions too but can only eat them cooked, not raw and I love them raw on a burger.

I love raw onions too, but they punch back at me. Tina just bought Vidalia onions, and they are great on a burger. They won't bother me.

I love green onion sandwiches too. rinse in cold water, fold in half, and lay in the middle of rye or white bread, then fold and salt, and bite bite eat.bounce

Another thing is, I love to use petals of the onion as a spoon, to scoop up chli or baked beans, and crunch crunch eat the onion and beans together.
I used to use the yellow onions, but they are loaded with sulfur, and way too strong and they make me burp for hours.

Onion soup too, but keep a path open to the bathroom. It's a cleaner outer for me anyway! bounce affraid

117(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:Usually when I cook meat or ribs or beans or chickens, I like to let them boil for a few minutes, then discard the water and add clean water to resume them.. IMO, this way I'll have clearer broth/soup[/color][/b]

For some reason, I think I remember there is a cooking term for boiling and then discarding the water, starting over.  It's something about removing the 'scum', sealing the protein....something like that. And the reason IS to have a clear stock / broth when done.

OK, friends ~ help me out here.  Is there a technical term for that method or is my brain playing tricks on me?

The only thing I can think of is called clarifying the stock.

118(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think to clarify the stock is something that is done after it's cooked ~ like when egg whites are added to the broth when making consomme (sp?) and allowed to make a 'dam' on the top of the liquid.....I remember My Man Jacques speaking of that proceedure when he was an apprentice in France (in the book I read recently).

Tonight's supper was one of MY favorites (Mr. Amazing, not so much). BLT Pasta.

I've adjusted and changed the recipe according to my tastes and the fact I don't care to waste any of the ingredients. I use more leek than called for (what do you do with the rest of the leek when the recipe calls for 1/2 c. ???) and I add as much spinach as I have.

Mr. Amazing doesn't add the buttered bread crumbs on his serving, but that's OK with me. Leaves just that much more for MY dish!

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 BLT%20Pasta

My serving WITH the buttered crumbs:

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 07.09.15

119(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 11081214_10200204971404922_3233983744554294320_n

Beth that looks so good.I might have to make that...

120(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good looking pot 'o beans! Sausage & Bacon??

The original recipe I think I got from a Cuisine At Home magazine....I just adjust it as I feel like when I'm making it.

BLT Pasta

2 Slices Bacon, chopped
1 ½ c. Grape Tomatoes, halved
½ t. Sugar
½ c. Leeks, cleaned & sliced
¼ c. White Wine
½ c. Chicken Broth
1 t. Red Wine Vinegar
¼ t. Red Pepper Flakes
½ t. Fresh Thyme, chopped
2 c. Fresh Baby Spinach
4 oz. Spaghetti, cooked al dente
1 c. Panko Bread Crumbs
2 T. Butter

Prepare browned buttered Panko crumbs. Reserve.
Brown bacon, remove & reserve. Soften leeks, add tomato halves & ½ t. sugar (to caramelize).
Deglaze with ¼ c. white wine and reduce. Add ½ c. chicken broth, 1 t. red wine vinegar, ¼ t. red pepper flakes and ½ t. chopped fresh thyme. Return bacon to pan. Add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Add fresh spinach and toss to combine.
Plate and top with ¼ c. buttered & browned Panko crumbs per serving.
Serve immediately. 4 servings

121(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Good looking pot 'o beans! Sausage & Bacon??

yup..lol  no hocks or ham chunks..

122(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner Wuzzzz.... two hot dogs with Greek chili sauce, and mac salad.

Tina had soup.... Gabe..... a hot dog and sweet potato tots.

123(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Good looking pot 'o beans!  Sausage & Bacon??

The original recipe I think I got from a Cuisine At Home magazine....I just adjust it as I feel like when I'm making it.

BLT Pasta

2 Slices Bacon, chopped
1 ½ c. Grape Tomatoes, halved
½ t. Sugar
½ c. Leeks, cleaned & sliced
¼ c. White Wine
½ c. Chicken Broth
1 t. Red Wine Vinegar
¼ t. Red Pepper Flakes
½ t. Fresh Thyme, chopped
2 c. Fresh Baby Spinach
4 oz. Spaghetti, cooked al dente
1 c. Panko Bread Crumbs
2 T. Butter

Prepare browned buttered Panko crumbs.  Reserve.
Brown bacon, remove & reserve.  Soften leeks, add tomato halves & ½ t. sugar (to caramelize).  
Deglaze with ¼ c. white wine and reduce.  Add ½ c. chicken broth, 1 t. red wine vinegar, ¼ t. red pepper flakes and ½ t. chopped fresh thyme.  Return bacon to pan.  Add cooked pasta and stir to combine.  Add fresh spinach and toss to combine.
Plate and top with ¼ c. buttered & browned Panko crumbs per serving.
Serve immediately.  4 servings
Great looking, and nice recipe.
Geepers.../?? I wonder if using thin thin sliced and diced onion instead of the leeks would work??

I love eating spaghetti / macaroni like that...
Growing up, there were times when it was spaghetti every day; but just a different way.
Like today, being Friday...It would be browned bread crumbs with minced garlic in oil and butter, then adding canned tuna in olive oil. Spaghetti cooked and oiled lightly, then a scoop of the drain water to wet it a little.
Add all the tuna crumb mixture and mix well. Plate; and dust with black pepper, and serve lemon wedges to squeeze onto the spaghetti as it is eaten.

The bad part, is it is not very filling for some reason, and the good part is....It's really Good.... and the lemon really does a great job of flavor.

124(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I don't know what will be for supper, but I do know what dessert and snacks will be.
Tina went to see her 95 y/o Aunt in PA, and right over a few blocks from her house, is a Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bakery. Today is a Celebration for their making doughnuts for 78 Years!

SOOoooo! They are offering "Buy a Dozen get a Dozen for 78 cents. She is doing the doughnut run for the Kids and a few neighbors. Maybe I will just save my appetite, and eat the doughnuts for supper.

125(( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 Empty Re: (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am planing on a burger.INSIDE stove top grill pan.

So sick of 100`/105`/110`/115`days...... (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 2787578702 (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 1450907917 (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 2876843705 (( July 2015 )) "What's For Dinner??" - Page 5 1562938848

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum