Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ?

+2
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol I put them in the toaster oven to warm,then the cheese just melted and I opened up half bag of pistachios (PIA) to make ice cream,and tossed some on top. and yes a bit of honey.

I really like them and the buying fresh is short. $6.for small carton.  I have some from last year that I froze and I am going to make a pork roast with them..I saw fresh apricots too ha,had to buy some too.Oh and plums, lol.
I see that harrisT has eastern nc peaches for .49c lb.. affraid (( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 3267860543 (( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 940422454 (( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 3326752767

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:
I really like them and the buying fresh is short. $6.for small carton.  I have some from last year that I froze and I am going to make a pork roast with them..I saw fresh apricots too ha,had to buy some too.Oh and plums, lol.
I see that harrisT has eastern nc peaches for .49c lb.. affraid (( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 3267860543 (( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 940422454 (( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 3326752767

WOW!  What a great price.

The only time I EVER saw fresh figs in Ohio was at an upscale 'market' and they were selling them for $1.29 E*A*C*H !!!

When Lyn & I vacationed in Hilton a few years ago we went to the local Publix and they had fresh figs for $4 / carton (was at least eight).  OMG ~ So, SO good!

Barbara101

Barbara101

oh yeah ..I am going to buy loads of peaches.I might make some jam.or pickle some.just put some up in the freezer.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:When Lyn & I vacationed in Hilton a few years ago we went to the local Publix and they had fresh figs for $4 / carton (was at least eight).  OMG ~ So, SO good!

I love figs, too, and never ever see them in the store.   I watch the paper, though, as some people have told me people who have trees occasionally sell them there.  My family used to get free fig preserves from a plantation my mom's family used to have a share in.  Mmmm.  I still remember the smell, the color and the taste!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:When Lyn & I vacationed in Hilton a few years ago we went to the local Publix and they had fresh figs for $4 / carton (was at least eight).  OMG ~ So, SO good!

I love figs, too, and never ever see them in the store.   I watch the paper, though, as some people have told me people who have trees occasionally sell them there.  My family used to get free fig preserves from a plantation my mom's family used to have a share in.  Mmmm.  I still remember the smell, the color and the taste!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Crybaby

Crybaby

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mom used to get the dry figs, and stuff them with walnuts and cream cheese. Dates too. I love stuffed dates.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I'm in the minority with my lunch today. I LIKE kale.....a lot. I like the flavor. I like the bitterness. I like the texture. So, here's my kale salad with apples, dried cherries, toasted walnuts and dressed with my homemade honey/Tabasco dressing.

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 Kale%20Apple%20Dried%20Cherry%20amp%20Toasted%20Walnut%20Salad

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I think I'm in the minority with my lunch today.  I LIKE kale.....a lot.  I like the flavor.  I like the bitterness.  I like the texture.  So, here's my kale salad with apples, dried cherries, toasted walnuts and dressed with my homemade honey/Tabasco dressing.

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 Kale%20Apple%20Dried%20Cherry%20amp%20Toasted%20Walnut%20Salad

Looks good Beth. I would go for that. Kale rocks IMO.
I like bitter greens also. Surprisingly, DD likes Kale. She said the texture is like eating fine broccoli .....
Now she will not eat lettuce, romaine or spinach greens, but she loves Kale.
Let me put it this way. I almost fell off my chair when I watched her eat it!
She's into the health diet thing now, and lifting weights.

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 Portobello%20pizza2

portobello pizza lol

bethk

bethk
Admin

that looks really good, Barb! I like the 'meaty' portabellas taking the place of the bread crust.

Did you scrape out the black 'gills'? It's a little messy to do but I think it makes them neater and a better finished product....JMO.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Looks good Beth. I would go for that. Kale rocks IMO.
I like bitter greens also. Surprisingly, DD likes Kale. She said the texture is like eating fine broccoli .....
Now she will not eat lettuce, romaine  or spinach greens, but she loves Kale.
Let me put it this way. I almost fell off my chair when I watched her eat it!
She's into the health diet thing now, and lifting weights.

From what I've read, kale is suppose to be one of the 'super foods' ~ good for you.

I like that it fills me up (due, most probably, to all the texture and fiber) and it takes a while to actually chew and finish as a salad meal. I like pairing it with the toasted walnuts as the flavors seem to compliment each other. The apple & dried cherries are for the sweetness. I probably could have omitted the cherries (too much concentrated sugar to be very healthy) but I had them in the pantry and once I spied them, well, I WANTED them! LOL

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I think I'm in the minority with my lunch today.  I LIKE kale.....a lot.  I like the flavor.  I like the bitterness.  I like the texture.  So, here's my kale salad with apples, dried cherries, toasted walnuts and dressed with my homemade honey/Tabasco dressing.

I like kale for my salad too... I like to "cook" them with lemon juice to make them softer before adding other stuffs in my salad, I like kale in my soup too, the only way I don't like is to blend them raw as smoothie Shocked

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Imelda, that's what I did with my salad dressing. I massaged a bit of the dressing into the cut kale with my hands and let it sit in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to 'soften'. Then I added the rest of my ingredients and a little bit more dressing & tossed just before I wanted to eat.

Kale and potato soup with Italian sausage (like the Zuppa Toscana at Olive Garden) is one of my all time favorites. I like that the kale holds up to the cooking without turning mushy. I also add it when I make Beef Vegetable soup.

Good stuff.

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 1738318596

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

For Breaklunch I had a nice toasted soft thomas' bagel with a fried egg, cheese, and bacon. I savored every bite.

Gabe had his usual b o r i n g every day cheerio's with soy milk, and sliced bananas. A Sarah Lee cupcake. Coffee decaff.

Tina was out at the other uncles and at the cable provider to get a new remote control for the big tv.
She stopped for dunkin doughnuts.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Tina was out at the other uncles and at the cable provider to get a new remote control for the big tv.

Does Gabe eat doughnuts, Jimmy? Something tells me he does... Laughing

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Tina was out at the other uncles and at the cable provider to get a new remote control for the big tv.

Does Gabe eat doughnuts, Jimmy?  Something tells me he does...  Laughing

Nope.... he says they are greasy. Yet, he will drink 2 tbs. of olive oil.
Won't eat anything with mayonnaise ..... salmonella poisoning.
Steak... too hard to chew. ( lazy )
Fish....only salmon. other fish has mercury.
Bread... no good, causes diebeetus as he pronounces it. silent
Pork.... has worms that will make you very ill.

Sweets... cakes....ice cream... cookies....candy... Eats all of that with no complaints.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had another kale salad for lunch today. He made himself a sandwich and a pile of chips.

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 Blt%20salad6_thumb3

BLT ..salad.  I really really need to stop eating so much bread..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, but it looks so good. Maybe next time skip the bread croutons and just have a small piece of toasted/grilled 'good' bread to eat with your salad....

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 Blossoms

so. my neighbor brings me these.She said her BF brought them to her. Can you use these? oh sure I like them..I lied. Embarassed Embarassed never had them in my life..

I made omlet,, sortof..Looks a mess but kinda good.Now I Have to use up the rest,fried I guess

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 Blossom%20%20eggs

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? - Page 2 Blossom3

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum