Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ?

+2
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am going to make waffles with the last of the waffle batter.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I would like a waffle maker that made nice crispy waffles.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think the recipe has more to do with crispy than the waffle maker does.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I think the recipe has more to do with crispy than the waffle maker does.  

I disagree, Beth.  I think the waffle makers with the deeper indentations (not necessarily the Belgian type) make crispier waffles.  I think a lot of people take them out of the waffle maker a little early, too;  I like 'em really "done" in the waffle maker and I think it makes a difference, too, in the crispiness.  

If you use it often, you usually "know" your maker, and can set the timer.  I set my timer for 5 minutes after I fill and close it and it comes out nice and crispy.  We've had ours for about 25 years.  It came from Williams-Sonoma and is a Vitantonio Classic Waffler.

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? 635107192

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I would like a waffle maker that made nice crispy waffles.
That would be being sure the watts were at least 1200 watts. minimum

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:I have not used it yet but I have let the cast iron grates heat up and seasoned them. Tomorrow I am finishing some beans and ham hock that i started today so I won't use it until this weekend at the earliest. I took a look at the directions for assembly and it was no small chore. i would probably still be putting it together if I had to do it myself. Even so i had to find and connect the wire for the side burner starter.

You sure have a nice grilling and smoking setup back there, Norm.  And what a beautiful yard, too.  I remember seeing the deck outside your house (mainly 'cause it was so cute!) but don't remember a shot showing how big and pretty your whole yard is.  

Which grill do you find you use more often, your Weber or your gas grill?  Ever had all three going at the same time?  We've had four turkeys smoking on the two Weber smokers but, thankfully at the time, the grill wasn't involved.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I'm going to check mine out. Where will it tell you, Jimmy, on the bottom? I'll look and see if I can find it on mine (once Brian gets it out for me again -- Embarassed Embarassed -- as I asked him to get it out so I could see the brand. I kept remembering something like Vito's (am laughing)...).

Barbara101

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

oh now that is good to know.I got the one I am using for free from cooking forum when I joined. round cuisinart.i will look and see what the watt is.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have been using waffle mix from aunt J.This maker only takes 2,3 min tops then they will burn..My DS had one of those warings that flips over. it was like eating thick bread with holes lol.

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok mine is 1000watt.maybe i should upgrade for better waffles lol.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The waffler I used now, is a 1960's GE rectangular waffles 4 pieces.
Non coated.

Then there is the Waring p o s Belgian one we had, and it literally fell apart.

Got a quisinart now. Stupid temperature control, and the grill is too deep.
So it gives a good waffle, but all airy inside.

Then.... the best one, is a dual Toastmaster circa 1940.s...commercial which makes two 7 inch round waffles with each with its own separate temperature controls. No coating on the grill plates, and the waffles never stick.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I always make sure the waffle grill plates are well heated. That insures crispy waffles.

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
Norm wrote:I have not used it yet but I have let the cast iron grates heat up and seasoned them. Tomorrow I am finishing some beans and ham hock that i started today so I won't use it until this weekend at the earliest. I took a look at the directions for assembly and it was no small chore. i would probably still be putting it together if I had to do it myself. Even so i had to find and connect the wire for the side burner starter.

You sure have a nice grilling and smoking setup back there, Norm.  And what a beautiful yard, too.  I remember seeing the deck outside your house (mainly 'cause it was so cute!) but don't remember a shot showing how big and pretty your whole yard is.  

Which grill do you find you use more often, your Weber or your gas grill?  Ever had all three going at the same time?  We've had four turkeys smoking on the two Weber smokers but, thankfully at the time, the grill wasn't involved.

Thank you. My back yard stops at the trees. My back door neighbor and I do not have a fence between us. He had an electronic fence for his dog and the people before us never put a fence across the back but both side neighbors have fences and we have a fence on both sides of the house that you have to go through to get to the front or back. I actually only used the Weber once recently to grill some steaks because the old gas grill was shot and not cooking anything other than turning the outsides brown while leaving the insides raw. I mostly use it for storing the charcoal starter and a couple tools for the smoker. The gas grill in the picture is brand new and we have not used it at all yet but plan to use it almost exclusively over the Weber.

Supper started out with a couple new recipes i wanted to try, then I kept adding stuff until it turned into a holiday sized meal. Cassie sent me the recipe for the potatoes, an Asian guy told me how he does mushrooms (finish with oyster sauce after cooking in oil with ginger and garlic). Then I though about ham hocks and beans only I thought maybe I'd try glazing the hocks like a ham and baking and turning the beans into baked beans. The biscuits are Shirley Corriher's fluffy biscuits and the slaw is made with apples and carrots instead of cabbage.

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? DSCN2698_zpsnxth3ocr

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? DSCN2701_zps8icco639

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

Dang, I did it again and posted dinner in the wrong place.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Dinner looks awesome... cheers

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Dang, I did it again and posted dinner in the wrong place.

No big deal Norm.

The other day, my daughter wanted my potato salad recipe.
I wrote in the e-mail body, and sent it, but I sent it to my Daughter In Law.
She texted me, ????????? ... I texted back....Oooops!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Don't care where you post, Norm.....I'm drooling!

Thanks for sharing.

NormM

NormM

Thank you.

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? 10556519_679358128816054_3813774279503462366_n

NormM

NormM

That really looks summery.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

How's about that!... We just had watermelon for lunch after bologna sandwiches, an Domino's thin crust pizza. Tina likes it!......I don't, but I ate some.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Dang, I did it again and posted dinner in the wrong place.

Who CARES when it looks like that?!

NormM

NormM

Smile

Barbara101

Barbara101

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? Baked%20figs4

(( JULY 2015 )) What's For Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch ? Baked%20figs2

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, yum! Now THAT is one I can eat! Pistachios? And either your figs are REALLY ripe (yum!) or you added som honey....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum