Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking about TV in the 50's

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Thinking about TV in the 50's on Sat May 30, 2015 10:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

I was sitting watching Sanford & Son, and the sequence ended with Fred getting a Brand New COLOR TV from Lamont.

I sat here and remembered when someone in the family got a Color TV.
It was a treat to watch a show in real Color.
I remember the TV Guide magazine would list the weeks shows, and would note if it was in color. It was an oval with the word COLOR in the oval.

The funny thing was there were few TV shows that were actually broadcast in color.

I remember the first color TV mom and dad got. They were forever adjusting the green and red in the back with the knobs; trying to get a face to look like a face color.
Then there was grandma, who turned the color red and tint to make it black and white again; because she said the color hurt her eye's. LOL

Half of the times the faces were green and grass was with a purple tint.
Mom and dad sent the set out to get the picture tube rejeuvinated.
That worked for like a month, and then....* Poof.... The color was all messed up.

Anyone else have a funny story about when they or someone got their first color tv?
Unless you were young enough to be born with color tv which had been perfected.
I remember we would get company just around the time a show would be in color.
It seemed as if they dropped in just in time that mom and dad were to tune in that color showing.
I remember Aunt Angie would come over, and while watching TV, she would say,Oh.... Your Color is Beautiful! ..... Then mom said,"So Ang, when are you getting a color TV?"....she would say."Oh me and Johnny are waiting till they are perfected before we spend all that money!" Mom said,"Oh! So in the mean time, I guess you will spend all that time waiting, and watching My Color TV, Huh?"

2 Re: Thinking about TV in the 50's on Sun May 31, 2015 3:57 pm

NormM

I remember getting a little teed off at Walt Disney because he kept telling how great his show was in color and we didn't have a color TV to watch it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3 Re: Thinking about TV in the 50's on Sun May 31, 2015 4:31 pm

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I remember getting a little teed off at Walt Disney because he kept telling how great his show was in color and we didn't have a color TV to watch it.

I remember that that was THE SHOW I wanted to see in color. Even the beginning (with Tinkerbelle, I remember) looked fantastic in color.

We were the last household on earth to get a color TV. And when we finally did, I was near the end of high school (1971)!! My sister, who always held my dad on a pedestal, gave him about a 16 or 17-inch (yeah, smaller sizes) color TV made by Sony. She was working already so being only three years older than me, it was probably 1969 or 1970. It was great. He promptly replaced the TV in my parents' bedroom (on his side of the bed and my mom wasn't into TV) rather than share it with everyone! I had to laugh, as it was sooooo much like my Dad. It wasn't long before we had one downstairs for the "rest of us." I don't remember the circumstances of it getting purchased but my mom probably had something to do with it.

LMAO at the time and also now that my dad hogged it for himself. After all, it was a gift for him!

4 Re: Thinking about TV in the 50's on Sun May 31, 2015 5:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:I remember getting a little teed off at Walt Disney because he kept telling how great his show was in color and we didn't have a color TV to watch it.

I remember that that was THE SHOW I wanted to see in color.  Even the beginning (with Tinkerbelle, I remember) looked fantastic in color.

We were the last household on earth to get a color TV.  And when we finally did, I was near the end of high school (1971)!!  My sister, who always held my dad on a pedestal, gave him about a 16 or 17-inch (yeah, smaller sizes) color TV made by Sony.  She was working already so being only three years older than me, it was probably 1969 or 1970.  It was great.  He promptly replaced the TV in my parents' bedroom (on his side of the bed and my mom wasn't into TV) rather than share it with everyone!  I had to laugh, as it was sooooo  much like my Dad.  It wasn't long before we had one downstairs for the "rest of us."  I don't remember the circumstances of it getting purchased but my mom probably had something to do with it.  

LMAO at the time and also now that my dad hogged it for himself.  After all, it was a gift for him!

Oh! wow, what a great story!....
We had one of those 19 inch Sony "Trinitron" Tv's as a first color set when the kids came along... 1969 to 78. We had that for years.

At my parents, they always bought Second Hand everything. Gram gave them a Philco Color big huge console set. The color was greenish, and had to warm up for 20 minutes before the color appeared.
Then came the razzin from the family members, and moms sisters....
They would say," We Have an RCA or Our Sylvania has better color than your's.

Then the straw that broke the camels back. "You should trade that set in for a new one!"..... I don't know how you could watch TV without being in color!"

Mom finally broke down, and bought a brand new "Sylvania" set on Credit through Sears Roebuck. It took them 3 years to pay the darn thing off. It was a wooden console. Heavy, and Fancy. My Dad used to say, "The damn thing looks like a coffin sitting in the parlor!"

5 Re: Thinking about TV in the 50's on Sun May 31, 2015 6:25 pm

Barbara101

just now reading this.sitting here thinking???? I remember B&W but gosh color ??  I know we had it tho..heck I can not remember if I fed the dogs this morning..  affraid I will be thinking on this all night now,, thanks lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum