Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Florida Peaches in season

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Florida Peaches in season on Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm

bethk

Admin
Last Sunday there was an article in the paper about a local "pick-your-own" peaches. Sounded good to us. We both love fresh peaches. We drove to the orchard and inquired about the price....$2/lb. Same price for already picked or you-pick-'em. I thought it was pricey but, hey, we had driven there intent on purchasing peaches...why go home empty-handed?

We chose peaches that needed to ripen, the farmer estimated a week on the countertop would make them perfect. I've been smelling the fragrance and decided today was the day.

So,,,,,,,I've learned Florida peaches are NOT Georgia peaches, or even Ohio peaches. IMO, not even close in flavor. And there was no way to blanch the skins to have them slip off like I'm use to. Nor were they free stone. What a bunch of work!

But, I did manage to get two pies made. They ain't pretty but we'll eat one and take the other to our neighbor who loves everything I bake for them.

My crust didn't turn out, either. One cracked completely. I haven't made a decent pie crust since they changed the Crisco recipe.

2 Re: Florida Peaches in season on Thu May 21, 2015 7:22 pm

NormM

Can't wait for ripe juicy peaches to start showing up at the farmers markets.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3 Re: Florida Peaches in season on Thu May 21, 2015 9:34 pm

bethk

Admin
Yeah, I'm going to wait for the Georgia peaches.

Even though these were locally grown, picked where we bought them, they were NOT anywhere near what I was hoping for.

To be fair, I could say they were better than shipped in fruit......((but not much))

lol

4 Re: Florida Peaches in season on Fri May 22, 2015 9:07 pm

JanaAZ

We have a place in Queen Creek, AZ that has peaches that are so good....I think they even beat Georgia peaches. I went there a few years ago and picked peaches and they were the best I ever had. I was surprised.

Imelda, if you have not ever been to Schnepf Farms, you should go. They aren't that far from you and are also close to Queen Creek Olive Mill and The Pork Shop. You'll have a fun day!!!

5 Re: Florida Peaches in season on Sat May 23, 2015 2:55 am

Imelda HL

JanaAZ wrote:We have a place in Queen Creek, AZ that has peaches that are so good....I think they even beat Georgia peaches.  I went there a few years ago and picked peaches and they were the best I ever had.  I was surprised.

Imelda, if you have not ever been to Schnepf Farms, you should go.  They aren't that far from you and are also close to Queen Creek Olive Mill and The Pork Shop.  You'll have a fun day!!!

thank you Jana.. we are going this weekend, it's only 23 miles from our house, and $2.20/lbs for peaches... it costs much more than what we spent at the stores, but we'll have fun there cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum