Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Apple Rose Pastry

+4
Bugster2
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Apple Rose Pastry Empty Apple Rose Pastry Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, ain't this internet thing wonderful???

I saw something on Pinterest and it really got my attention:

Apple Rose Pastry!

Apple Rose Pastry Apple%20Rose%20Pastry

Apple Rose Pastry Apple%20Roll%2005.04.15

The ingredient list was short, it was easy to do....can't attest to the flavor quite yet as they are too hot to test right now. But, I will do a 'finish' photo and critique in my next post.

Here's the site I 'borrowed' the idea from (scroll down, down, down to find her video):

http://cookingwithmanuela.blogspot.com/

2Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon May 04, 2015 11:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, by the way.....can anyone answer this?

Can Puff Pastry be re-frozen after it's thawed in the refrigerator. I only used one sheet and I don't want to make more right now.

3Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon May 04, 2015 11:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

When the apple pastry was cooled, I dusted it with powdered sugar and enjoyed!

Apple Rose Pastry Apple%20Rose%203

I think my oven must bake hotter than the one in the video. Next time I'll reduce the temperature a few degrees. Mine got a little too dark on the bottom for my taste. (Not to worry, I have plans to add a powdered sugar glaze to the bottoms to counteract the 'burned' taste....they'll be fine.)

But, the pastry did get completely done in the 45 minute allowed....I tested the internal temperature and it was a bit over 210° when I removed the pan from the oven.

Apple Rose Pastry Apple%20Rose%204

I did not add any cinnamon as shown in the video. I prefer my apples with just the apple taste. The 'light sugar' apricot preserves I used was not an overpowering taste and the apple flavor was still there. I do think I 'overcooked' my apple slices in the microwave to soften them. And I used some Sprite as my darkening block, as I usually do with fruit. I think the lemon water is too harsh a flavor and detracts from the apple taste.

All in all, I'd do this one again. It wasn't difficult and, if properly baked (which I WILL the next time) they are a pretty impressive dessert.

4Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon May 04, 2015 12:01 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Very nice. I saw them to on pinterest.

5Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon May 04, 2015 3:05 pm

NormM

NormM

Those look really nice.

I looked up re freezing puff pastry dough and found this.

If your pastries have been thawed and held in the refrigerator, they are safe to refreeze if they remained below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. If they've been out at room temperature for two hours or less, they're still safe as long as they're refrozen immediately. If they've been out for longer than two hours or were thawed at room temperature, discard
them.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_12305966_can-refreeze-puff-pastrywrapped-foods.html

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon May 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Very, very pretty. They look too good to eat. I wouldn't eat them anyway. I have a "thing" about cooked fruit. Always a bit tart and something about the texture. Love the juice though. If I have a piece of apple pie I pick out the fruit and eat the crust and juice.

7Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon May 04, 2015 5:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Those look really nice.  

I looked up re freezing puff pastry dough and found this.

If your pastries have been thawed and held in the refrigerator, they are safe to refreeze if they remained below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. If they've been out at room temperature for two hours or less, they're still safe as long as they're refrozen immediately. If they've been out for longer than two hours or were thawed at room temperature, discard
them.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_12305966_can-refreeze-puff-pastrywrapped-foods.html

thanks, Norm. It's back in the freezer!

8Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Tue May 05, 2015 12:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Don't throw the burned stuff away. I love the taste of burnt stuff.

9Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Fri May 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Boy, ain't this internet thing wonderful???

I saw something on Pinterest and it really got my attention:

Apple Rose Pastry!

Apple Rose Pastry Apple%20Rose%20Pastry

Apple Rose Pastry Apple%20Roll%2005.04.15

The ingredient list was short, it was easy to do....can't attest to the flavor quite yet as they are too hot to test right now.  But, I will do a 'finish' photo and critique in my next post.

Here's the site I 'borrowed' the idea from (scroll down, down, down to find her video):

http://cookingwithmanuela.blogspot.com/

beautiful... I saw it a lot lately and yours are one of the most beautiful ones

10Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I'm still catching up on unread messages and ran into these. They're absolutely beautiful! Good job.

11Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

They were fun to make....a bit labor intensive for what I usually do, but I'm thinking of 'special' occasions when I'd want to make them to surprise my friends.

12Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:They were fun to make....a bit labor intensive for what I usually do, but I'm thinking of 'special' occasions when I'd want to make them to surprise my friends.

Laughed, as while I looked at them, I even thought that your neighbor friends would D-I-E if you show up with those at some get together!

They'd be a great holiday meal dessert, too, as they're so pretty.  We don't get good apples here -- never did.  I never knew how good an apple could taste -- and how different each variety could taste -- until two guys we knew from Ohio ( Very Happy ) went back and returned with what seemed like a zillion different varieties.  All of a sudden I knew why they said we had lousy apples down here.  So an apple doesn't have to be seasonal to make something like this 'cause we only have a couple of varieties and usually you can find one or two of those available at all times.  I guess it's the same in Florida, no?

Edit: I had to come back and tell you Brian's comment when I MADE him come in here and look at your pictures. His comment? "Oh my God!"

13Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

As you know, I'm no baker! Do you think regular muffin tins would work as well as the silicone ones? I don't bake enough to justify buying one of those. Just something else to store, you know?

14Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I used regular non-stick muffin tins without paper liners.  I just gave the pan a spritz of PAM, just in case.  Actually, the puff pastry was the only thing touching the pan.  I was careful not to use too much of the apricot preserves so it didn't bubble out too much.

The red delicious apples I used had pretty good flavor and they don't break down too much when they cook.  Just don't microwave them too long to soften.  They don't have to be mushy when you layer them on the pastry, just bendable.  

Have fun making them.  I did!

I used my Feemster slicer to slice the apples all the same and thin. Then I swished 'em around in some Sprite to keep them from turning brown. I just drained them and then spread them out on a dinner plate and covered it in plastic wrap, microwaved for two minutes (I suggest no more than ONE minute now that I've made them) and then let the plate sit to cool down a bit. That made the thin slices soft enough to curve when you wrap 'em in the pastry. If you cook them too long to soften you loose the 'red' color of the skin that makes the rosey color when they bake.

I tested the middle of the pastry with my Thermapen to be sure the puff pastry was done, at least 200°, same as when I bake bread.

15Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thank so much, Beth, for letting me know what you did! We hate to turn on the oven at this time of year but we've been doing it lately anyway.

I can just see Brian saying, "No problem. Let's do it!" The man loves his sweets. He just went to the store today to get some frozen raspberries to make some raspberry ice cream. We're going to add some Ghiardelli (sp?) chocolate chips and a broken up chocolate bar with freeze-dried raspberries inside (it's kind of crispy like a Nestle's Crunch bar). Can't wait!

16Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You're very welcome, Michelle! If you and Brian decide to make them have a fun time!

17Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:You're very welcome, Michelle!  If you and Brian decide to make them have a fun time!

You'll be the first to know, Beth. Trust me. If they come out pretty -- I'm not too handy lately but Brian will do most of the work while I boss him around Embarassed -- I'll have to learn how to take pics with this laptop (and again, Brian will have to hold it up, as I'm unable to hold something very long, especially to hold it UP)!!

Again, thanks for the post AND for the help!

18Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up some Crescent Rolls to try using to make the pastry roses a bit less expensive....They turned out looking fine but they definately have that "Crescent Roll" taste. I was hoping the apricot jam and apple slices would counteract the flavor of the dough.

So, from now on I'll use the Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry sheets. MUCH better taste.

Apple Rose Pastry Crescent%20Roll%20Roses

19Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I picked up some Crescent Rolls to try using to make the pastry roses a bit less expensive....They turned out looking fine but they definately have that "Crescent Roll" taste.  I was hoping the apricot jam and apple slices would counteract the flavor of the dough.

So, from now on I'll use the Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry sheets.  MUCH better taste.

Apple Rose Pastry Crescent%20Roll%20Roses

Not surprised, Beth, but am glad you tried it. But regardless of their taste, they sure look pretty!

20Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks! I got a little better with the temperature and timing this time.

So, when I make them to take to a patio party it'll be "THIRD TIME'S the CHARM!" and I'll WOW 'em!

LOL

21Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I finally got the temperature corrected....

My granddaughter, Tori's, Apple Roses:

Apple Rose Pastry Toris%20Roses

The one she deemed "The Most Beautiful":

Apple Rose Pastry Toris%20Most%20Beautiful%2010.15.15

22Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I think I finally got the temperature corrected....

My granddaughter, Tori's, Apple Roses:

Apple Rose Pastry Toris%20Roses

The one she deemed "The Most Beautiful":

Apple Rose Pastry Toris%20Most%20Beautiful%2010.15.15

LOVED the fact that she picked out "the most beautiful," Beth! Sounds sooo kid-like to me that I couldn't help but smile. You were BRILLIANT to make those with Tori, too -- I can just see her showing pics to her friends when she gets home... "...And here's my prettiest one!" You get grandma of the year for sure!

23Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Michelle, it was a treat. I showed her how to make the first one and she did the other 7! She's 11 now so she is well able to follow along. She and my daughter have plans to make them to take to Thanksgiving dinner at the other grandparents' house. The other grandma doesn't cook so it will be really impressive when Tori shows up with HER creative desserts.

24Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Yes, Michelle, it was a treat.  I showed her how to make the first one and she did the other 7!  She's 11 now so she is well able to follow along.  She and my daughter have plans to make them to take to Thanksgiving dinner at the other grandparents' house.  The other grandma doesn't cook so it will be really impressive when Tori shows up with HER creative desserts.

Like I said, Beth, you're up for grandma of the year! I think even "the other grandma" will think you're the bees' knees. I didn't know how old Tori was but Brian and I were laughing, as we figured we could give them a try if your granddaughter was making them. He asked me how old she was and I told him I wasn't sure but assumed about 12 or so -- I think he was hoping I'd say 45!

25Apple Rose Pastry Empty Re: Apple Rose Pastry Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

You are lucky to have that with your grands. Mine are boys and the only thing they can cook is frozen pizza and chicken nuggets. lol!

They are just beautiful.. Apple Rose Pastry 3602300868

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum