Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"EASTER DINNER" 2015

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

This Holiday of Easter (Spring Festivities ) and or Holy associated for Us anyway.....came so fast!>
It seems like Christmas was just here, and B I N G O ..... "Here comes the Easter Bunny!"

Big Day for us....food wise.. ( 21 people ) And I'll have my work cut out for me!  pale

I'll be cooking a Ham / Turkey / Chicken /  Lasagna /  Kielbasi Fresh, and Smoked.
Meatballs / sausage ...Candied Sweet potatoes / stuffing....and mashed potatoes and gravy.
All sorts of fish and rice too!

The girls DD and DIL... will make the veggies... DD is baking cookies and other desserts. Carol ( Tina's Friend ) is making chocolate and mint brownies.

Poor Tina really is not up to it, but I can manage (Thank God ). She is on the mend just a little, but she gets so tired.  

2 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 am

bethk

Admin
Try to keep Tina down....and good luck with that! She's a tough one, that's for sure.

We're planning a couple chickens on the grill. No one wants ham. I'm going to let Andrea & Tori and Josh pick the rest of the menu.

The only thing I've got prepared is a huge bag of Russell Stover Easter Chocolates to put in the Easter Basket.....

Tori and I are planning to color eggs on Saturday.

3 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:40 am

cookingirl

It will be just me and Artie for Easter. It will be strange not to have any Polish food. I did not order any and do not feel like driving to the Polish Store for just me. My family is not into big celebrations for Easter. I will be up early and go to first mass of the day.

I think I will go to the Italian Bakery for something.

I found a small boneless smoked shoulder at BJ's. I have not had a smoked shoulder in ages. I will make it the way my mom did. Just pineapple...will have mashed potatoes, and some breaded green beans along with it. I have a bottle of wine in the refrigerator. I gave up alcohol for Lent.

I did buy some Brighams ice cream. I can have that for dessert in addition to whatever I buy at the bakery.

I will stay in and enjoy listening to music while reading the newspaper (as usual on Sundays) and then watch some movies. Either what is on tv or rental or my own old DVD's....while sipping some wine...

4 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:It will be just me and Artie for Easter. It will be strange not to have any Polish food. I did not order any and do not feel like driving to the Polish Store for just me. My family is not into big celebrations for Easter. I will be up early and go to first mass of the day.

I think I will go to the Italian Bakery for something.

I found a small boneless smoked shoulder at BJ's. I have not had a smoked shoulder in ages. I will make it the way my mom did. Just pineapple...will have mashed potatoes, and some breaded green beans along with it. I have a bottle of wine in the refrigerator. I gave up alcohol for Lent.

I did buy some Brighams ice cream. I can have that for dessert in addition to whatever I buy at the bakery.

I will stay in and enjoy listening to music while reading the newspaper (as usual on Sundays) and then watch some movies. Either what is on tv or rental or my own old DVD's....while sipping some wine...

Sounds like a great Easter Plan and meal to me cookingirl!.... Especially the breaded green beans. Haven't had them in years. Mom always made them for us kids so we would eat the beans. Smile

5 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:27 am

NormM

I think I have the menu nailed down. We will have it on Saturday since Cassie works on Sunday. Last year we had for the first time a Carando ham and liked it so much we are having it again. I am adding an apricot glaze. Also having a green bean salad, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes with maple glaze, pineapple upside down cake, and povitica bread. I recently heard of an Easter salad that was popular in the 60's that I have never tried so I am making one for the fun of it. It's called Seafoam Salad made with lime jello, mayo, cottage cheese and nuts.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:50 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I think I have the menu nailed down.  We will have it on Saturday since Cassie works on Sunday.  Last year we had for the first time a Carando ham and liked it so much we are having it again. I am adding an apricot glaze.  Also having a green bean salad, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes with maple glaze, pineapple upside down cake, and povitica bread.  I recently heard of an Easter salad that was popular in the 60's that I have never tried so I am making one for the fun of it. It's called Seafoam Salad made with lime jello, mayo, cottage cheese and nuts.

It all sounds good Norm; till I got to the Seafoam Salad...
I'll never forget the Cafeteria in school served the usual meal which I forgot what, but the square piece of green jello served on top a lettuce leaf, and a dollop of what I thought was whipped cream; until I swallowed it down... MAYO ?????.....
I couldn't wait to get home after school to tell Ma," Ma, they gave us jello with mayo instead of whipped cream!" "How stupid is that?"..... lol!

7 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 am

NormM

I thought about substituting whipped cream for the mayo but decided to follow the original recipe first. the mayo is mixed in and is in little blobs, not one big dollop on top.

8 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I thought about substituting whipped cream for the mayo but decided to follow the original recipe first. the mayo is mixed in and is in little blobs, not one big dollop on top.

Oh! That makes it different!! hahaha

So...You are gonna make it for the Fun Of It ? I'll Bet Charlie, and Cassie will have a lot of Fun Eating That Salad. I'd love to be a fly on the wall, and hear and watch the kids dish that on their plates.

Another thing (dessert ) from the 60's, was that "Glorified Rice."

Tina used to make it, with the whipped cream and banana's and the cherries.. The only thing was we didn't like the crushed pineapple in it. No marshmallo's either.
Tina said she is going to make it one of these days. I like it!

9 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:55 am

UNCLE JIMMY

While I'm on the roll here..... does anyone remember the butterfly cup cakes?

That was another 60's thing.

Mom would make white or yellow box cake cupcakes. When they cooled, she would cut out the inside of the cupcake carefully, and then fill the cupcake with vanilla , chocolate , or butterscotch pudding.
Then she cut the round pieces that she set aside, into two half circles, and then placed the halves to form like open butterfly wings on top.

Gosh!... we loved them things. Mom used to say, "I made them like that so that there would be no throwing out the tops!" ...... Huh!.... with me around, I would probably eat all the tops anyway!
She wouldn't have to worry about waste!

10 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:23 am

bethk

Admin
Grandma use to make lime jello with cream cheese, crushed pineapple and chopped walnuts beaten in and then the liquid used was Vernor's Ginger Ale. Somehow (must have been the late addition of most of the liquid) the Vernor's retained it's 'fizzy' and there was a slight fuzzy bite when you ate it.

Our standard, of course, was the orange jello with cabbage, carrots & crushed pineapple. It's still on the menu today (10 yr. old granddaughter likes it!). The topping for that is Miracle Whip and Cool Whip stirred together. It is, naturally, something you had to grow up with to truly appreciate......LOL

There was also the "fruit salad" Grandma made....a lettuce leaf with a pineapple slice. Then half a banana was carefully placed in the hole of the pineapple so it was standing up. A cherry - WITH stem - was attached to the top of the banana with a toothpick so it resembled a flame. As children, we thought it was SO cool!

11 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:28 am

bethk

Admin
cookingirl wrote:It will be just me and Artie for Easter. It will be strange not to have any Polish food. I did not order any and do not feel like driving to the Polish Store for just me.

I say, GO to the Polish Store and get a little something...anything....so you can have a true Easter meal. Even if it's a box of Mrs. T's Pierogis....gotta have something. Or at the regular grocery store you might find pickled beets you could add a couple hard cooked eggs to and get them stained so you have pink deviled eggs.

12 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:37 am

cookingirl

I say, GO to the Polish Store and get a little something...anything....so you can have a true Easter meal.  Even if it's a box of Mrs. T's Pierogis....gotta have something.  Or at the regular grocery store you might find pickled beets you could add a couple hard cooked eggs to and get them stained so you have pink deviled eggs.  [/quote]

Beth, I have a package of REAL Pierogi in the freezer; leftover from Christmas!
I also have a couple of pieces of kielbasa and kabanosy (dried kielbasa--like a slim jim in there also).

I had a piece of kielbasa with pickled beets last Sunday. I made the beets myself.

I think I will take out the kabanosy out tomorrow to defrost for Sunday. I plan on having the Pierogi for supper either tonight or tomorrow or both...The package has 12 in it. Enough for 2 meals...We always had pierogi on this weekend...so the tradition will continue!

When I said Polish Store, I meant the travel time. The one I go to is an hour away. I usually stock up. There is a closer one in a part of Boston, which I never went to. I know parking is tuff around the area. All the stores will be mobbed today and tomorrow.

I meant to say all the good Polish pastries: babka, cheesecake, paczki (like a jelly donut-but better), bread, horseradish, streudels, pickles, Chruschki , etc

My extended family is not really into that food. I gave them a lot of it during Christmas. It is very, very, fattening....
And I do not have a large enough freezer to store it, for just me...apartment living..

I think I will go to the Grocery store today to see if they have any horseradish...afterall it is is Passover also. I went to one on Monday and they did not have any...It is good with Ham...

13 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:47 am

NormM

Well I never heard of Glofified rice, cupcales or the fruit salad but I do remember the jello with the cabbage in it. The cabbage always stayed in my mouth after everything else was swallowed.

Beth your mom's version of the lime salad sounds better with cream cheese and ginger ale.

14 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 am

Barbara101

No plans at all.

15 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:I say, GO to the Polish Store and get a little something...anything....so you can have a true Easter meal.  Even if it's a box of Mrs. T's Pierogis....gotta have something.  Or at the regular grocery store you might find pickled beets you could add a couple hard cooked eggs to and get them stained so you have pink deviled eggs.  

Beth, I have a package of REAL Pierogi in the freezer; leftover from Christmas!
I also have a couple of pieces of kielbasa and kabanosy (dried kielbasa--like a slim jim in there also).

I had a piece of kielbasa with pickled beets last Sunday. I made the beets myself.

I think I will take out the kabanosy out tomorrow to defrost for Sunday. I plan on having the Pierogi for supper either tonight or tomorrow or both...The package has 12 in it. Enough for 2 meals...We always had pierogi on this weekend...so the tradition will continue!

When I said Polish Store, I meant the travel time. The one I go to is an hour away. I usually stock up. There is a closer one in a part of Boston, which I never went to. I know parking is tuff around the area. All the stores will be mobbed today and tomorrow.

I meant to say all the good Polish pastries: babka, cheesecake, paczki (like a jelly donut-but better), bread, horseradish, streudels, pickles, Chruschki , etc

My extended family is not really into that food. I gave them a lot of it during Christmas. It is very, very, fattening....
And I do not have a large enough freezer to store it, for just me...apartment living..

I think I will go to the Grocery store today to see if they have any horseradish...afterall it is is Passover also. I went to one on Monday and they did not have any...It is good with Ham...[/quote]

The Horseradish Tina's mom would grate it fresh on the porch outside, and it was so strong. She mixed it with grated red beets to lessen the heat. You can buy the grated horseradish in the jar, but Not the same as grated fresh. Good with the Ham, and I like to eat it with the kielbasi.

With Tina's Family... the abstaining from meat, extended to midnight Saturday.
Tina and I would go to Midnight Mass, and after that, we would come home, and slice some kielbasi and eat that with potato salad, and Tina's Home made Sweet Bread.
Actually, nothing was allowed on the stomach 6 hours before going to church and receiving Holy Communion! .... It was weird, because in church, during the quiet sequels, you could hear the noises from the empty stomachs. Actually you could hear growling noises from peoples stomachs. LOL...

16 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 pm

cookingirl

Jimmy, My aunt, dad's sister, used to grate her own horseradish! It was the plain kind. Boy, was it strong. She would give my dad a jar of it...I never cared for it then, now I do; however it has to be the Beet one....
The one from the Polish store is really good...clears out the sinuses!!

I did manage to find a jar of beet horseradish, today!!! Not many left. They had a lot of the plain ones.....

17 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Barbara101

i decided to make a brisket,kugel, asparagus bread pudding or tart. Pickled stuffed eggs.Thinking lemon cheesecake.

18 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:36 am

bethk

Admin
Oh, yeah.....did I mention we'll be having glitter decorated colored eggs???

outside is the ONLY way to go to do this chore....LOL

Tye Dye Napkins, too!

19 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

The little girl is precious Beth! Granddaughter?

Yeah!.... There is no way to color eggs inside without staining the floor or counter tops.
As a matter of fact... My Little Girl (37 yr old ) Just texted me and said,"Dad, did you boil the eggs for coloring tonight?" .....

20 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:49 pm

bethk

Admin
Oh, Lawdy, PLEASE tell me I won't be doing this for 27 MORE YEARS!!!

Tori wanted to ask me if we could color eggs but thought better of it because she thought she was too old to do them. I would have agreed with her if I had not already bought the egg coloring kit at BigLots the day before I talked with her mom.....Of course she could color eggs.

We're planning to make the 'cracked chick' deviled eggs ~ check for a pic on Pinterest if you don't know what I'm talking about.

21 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Barbara101

my colored eggs,lol

22 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Barbara101

23 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Barbara101

24 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Barbara101

brisket ready for 5hrs slow roast.

25 Re: "EASTER DINNER" 2015 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

DD will be here to bake cookies, and will color the eggs. Then tonight, when she leaves, Tina will shell the eggs, (most of them ) and make deviled eggs out of them.
I'm like. so what's the big deal with coloring them in the first place?

Tradition I guess!....

Uh!.... remember the dyed different colored peeps? That was a trip to Woolworths, where for 25 cents, the lady would catch the colored peep we wanted, and put it in a 2 penny bag to carry home.
Gee...I wonder why they died so quick. Usually the cats got them.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum