Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015"

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

So, what be cooking for St. Patty's Day or there about?

We will be celebrating the day and dinner, on Sunday instead of the 17th on Tuesday, the official day.

I am the cook for that Dinner. I am doing two large Corned Beef, and two medium sized ones, cooked (Boiled slowly) in Guinnis Beer. Tina picked up a case. Got a Big Pot... 20 Quart ... and will do the four in that. then Cabbage with strips of bacon over the cabbage quarters, with garlic and red paprika and salt and pepper. Steamed till the cabbage is soft.

I will boil the potatoes in the pot with the corned beef to suck up the flavors.
Then I am cooking a Pastrami / Transformation by rubbing a corned beef with crushed black pepper, garlic powder, and liquid smoke....and wrapped in foil tightly, then baked in a 225ºF Oven for 6 hours.
I will bake that ahead of time so I can cool it and slice it thin when it is cold. Then I heat the thin slices in a steamer.

We will have Seeded Rye and Pumpernickle Bread..... Mustards and Horse radish.

DD is baking two cakes.  And of coarse, there will be loaves of store bought Irish Soda Bread..... Beer and Wine to drink!

Not Done yet! Now we got the fuss @$$ people like GD, Son Jimmy, and Uncle Gabe, who won't eat Corned beef because it has the color and looks of raw meat!... Good! ... More for the ones who like it. So Mommy T is making a pan of Lasagna with Meat Sauce for them.

OOOps! Forgot! ... Tina made pickled hard cooked eggs with red beets and brown sugar and vinegar....with cinnamon sticks and cloves. She made that the other day so that the eggs will turn nice and beet red in the refrigerator.

SOoooooo! What have Ye Planned for St. Patty's Day??

Note! .... I was told, the real Irish celebrate with cooking a Boiled Ham as opposed to cooking corned beef! Hmmm! At least that's what Tina's Late Friend had said when she was visiting in Ireland with her aunts and family out there.  

2 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:52 am

NormM

I have never been to Ireland but I heard that lamb was a popular meat there and that corned beef became a tradition with Irish in America because that was cheap and lamb wasn't.

I am making a small corned beef from scratch. We will probably have it on Wed. I will make some soda bread. Cabbage and carrots are in the plans. Nothing else is planned for sure yet. Deviled eggs sound good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:25 am

Barbara101

I happen to be on the Irish side so it is lamb for me. Do not really have any plans on how or what. Maybe butterflied leg then rolled and stuffed and grilled. Idk

I like a pastrami on rye or Ruben but not going to the trouble or expenseofmaking it lol

Will make something with baileys . Irish cream .

I did buy lots of cabbage . Grocery I go to now has small rack of this and that on clearance I bought lots of fingerlings they had bagged for $1.
Yes St Paddys day is Americaan now lol lol

4 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:20 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is the Faux "Pastrami" I pulled out of the oven at 9:00 PM.
It baked 4 - 1/2 hours peppered and seasonings plus garlic granulated.....sealed tight in foil, and in a pan in the oven at 225ºF for 4 to 5 hours. It's outside inside the grill to chill down. I will cut it tomorrow for sandwiches. That is just the most delicious Pastrami I ever ate. And so easy.
I feel like getting some and slicing it now, but it's too late for my tummy.

5 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:35 am

bethk

Admin
Looks like one meaty hunk-o-beef there, Jimmy.

I was on another forum and read about others who make the same recipe and all swear it's the 'only' way to cook a corned beef.

6 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:49 am

NormM

I'll have to look that up. It looks delicious. Regular corned beef is one of Cassie's top most favorite meals of the year so this one will be done in the traditional way.

7 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:11 am

bethk

Admin
Norm - this is what was posted on the other site I saw:

"I rub the corned beef with fresh garlic, lots of coarse ground peppercorns, a little fresh ground coriander, double wrap it in foil, place in a covered roasting pan and slow roast in a 250°F oven for 5 to 6 hours depending on size. The flavour is closer to pastrami when roasted this way."

I would give this a try (probably using my own blend of spice because I'm not a coriander/cilantro fan0 ~ at least I'd give it a try IF a reasonably priced corned beef could be located. I'm hoping AFTER the holiday the price will drop as the stores try to reduce the stock of the cryovac'd packages in lieu of carrying them over for next year. LOL I'm not spending upwards of $8/lb. for corned beef.

8 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Norm - this is what was posted on the other site I saw:

"I rub the corned beef with fresh garlic, lots of coarse ground peppercorns, a little fresh ground coriander, double wrap it in foil, place in a covered roasting pan and slow roast in a 250°F oven for 5 to 6 hours depending on size. The flavour is closer to pastrami when roasted this way."

I would give this a try (probably using my own blend of spice because I'm not a coriander/cilantro fan0 ~ at least I'd give it a try IF a reasonably priced corned beef could be located.  I'm hoping AFTER the holiday the price will drop as the stores try to reduce the stock of the cryovac'd packages in lieu of carrying them over for next year.  LOL  I'm not spending upwards of $8/lb. for corned beef.

Beth... I got the recipe on line from a site called the "Cheater Chef" ..... Exactly like you said.
2 TBS Course black pepper.
The packet of spice that came with the corned beef ground in the mortar and pestal.
1 tsp. of granulated garlic or garlic powder.

Coat the beef with the spices, drizzle with liquid smoke 2 tsp. or less. ................*( I Omitted this)

Wrapped in foil tightly, and I roasted it in the oven on a pan at 225ºF for 4 - 1/2 hours (w) Fat Side Up.
(( The first one I baked at 250ºF, but it shrunk the beef way too much )) the last Two I made, I preferred the 225º oven temp.

9 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:47 am

Barbara101

Jimmy that meal/meat must have cost what my rent is lol

I picked up a piece and looked at the price.4lb- $27.47.

Did not buy lol

10 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:52 am

NormM

I have copied and saved both your recipes.  I will probably try it with ready mad corned beef.  It takes me two weeks to make it from scratch.

11 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:05 pm

jetfan27

I do almost traditional boiled dinner. I add cider vinegar, a couple of cinnamon sticks, some whole cloves and a few all spice berries. Boil for a good while, then add potatoes and cabbage. I also make Irish soda bread and a nice loaf of rye bread because I can't eat corned beef except between two slices of rye and a good brown mustard.
Shop Rite had corned beef for $1.99/ lb with coupon and cabbage for 17 cents

12 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have copied and saved both your recipes.  I will probably try it with ready mad corned beef.  It takes me two weeks to make it from scratch.

Norm, The beef are just pre made Corned Beef in the cryovac package and the little spice packet enclosed.
The recipe is not a plain beef brisket.

All three times I made them, I used the same brand. ( O'Riley's Brand ) And believe me.... Tina bought them all on sale dirt cheap, and I froze them.
They were on sale $2.99 a pound.
No way would she pay $5.99 a pound.

13 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

jetfan27 wrote:I do almost traditional boiled dinner. I add cider vinegar, a couple of cinnamon sticks, some whole cloves and a few all spice berries. Boil for a good while, then add potatoes and cabbage. I also make Irish soda bread and a nice loaf of rye bread because I can't eat corned beef except between two slices of rye and a good brown mustard.
Shop Rite had corned beef for $1.99/ lb with coupon and cabbage for 17 cents

Good to see you back on the board jetfan27

I am in the middle of the Rye Bread Issue right now!
I asked 4 days ago, to the shopper of the house ( I won't mention names ) to don't forget the rye and pumpernickle bread for the Corned beef dinner we are having today. But NOooooo! That person did not listen, and I now on way to the Shoprite ( We have no really good bakery's in area) to get the rye bread. It is same with me and corned beef. Have to have the seeded rye.

We are making the celebration today, instead of on the 17th. This way there is no conflict with who has to work, and all the yadda yadda yadda complaints.

14 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Barbara101

Not that low price here. No where.Cheapest I saw was $4.99.If I am going to spend $30 + on meat it will be a standing rib. geek

15 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 pm

NormM

I always make Ruben sandwiches with leftover corned beef and of course I need Pumpernickle bread for that. I am making dinner tonight so I should get some bread today.

16 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 pm

jetfan27

Yeah, $1.99/ lb is cheap, but it is also a crappy piece of meat. But I couldn't resist. I love Rubens!
Shoprite has a nice bakery.

17 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:17 pm

bethk

Admin
As I've mentioned before: my (and Dane's) favorite seeded rye bread is from our local Jewish Deli with restaurants in each of our Town Squares. They bake it throughout the day so it's always fresh...and absolutely best when it's still slightly warm.

18 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Barbara101

Lamb for me on St.Paddys day...

19 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Baaaaa Baaaaa Lamb looking roasty good Barb>

Anything Green to eat today?? hahahaha

DD brought overs some Green Rice Krispy Treats.

20 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:08 pm

jetfan27

Lamb looks great Barb!

21 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Barbara101

Long time since I did a leg like this.I usually have it butterflied and I roll and tie it then roast or grill .I have so many great recipes for lamb..Love it..

Green HA I forgot. alien alien alien alien alien alien

22 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:12 pm

jetfan27

I have a new job! I'll be baking bagels and other things at the Jersey Shore. I start on  April 1. Can't wait! Here are some things I'll be baking. I'm tweaking some recipes.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

23 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:15 pm

bethk

Admin
Can't see your pics, Jetfan....

Are you going to be baking at a shore side shop?

24 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:17 pm

jetfan27

Try it again, Beth. Yes. It is about 500 feet from the beach

25 Re: "St. Paddy's Day Dinner 2015" on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Barbara101

I see them. Looks wonderful. Good luck. Or have fun lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum