Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone here buy

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Does anyone here buy on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Barbara101

any thing organic?

2 Re: Does anyone here buy on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:45 pm

bethk

Admin
only if it's a better price than the 'non' organic item.

I don't really worry too much about my fruits and vegetables. I will say, I do like the taste of organic chickens. Unfortunately, the price is almost prohibitive most of the time.

3 Re: Does anyone here buy on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:36 pm

Barbara101

That is what's son buys chicken. Cage free brown organic eggs. Apples. The thing is food is so much cheaper north then here .

4 Re: Does anyone here buy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:01 am

NormM

Organic is almost always expensive. I don't get it unless I need something and the store doesn't have regular. I do get organic chicken sometimes though. I used to get organic eggs. Even though they were more, it wasn't like they'd break the bank. Since Charlie and Cassie moved in and we go through a lot of eggs in a week now, I usually get 18 egg cartons.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

5 Re: Does anyone here buy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:16 am

Barbara101

HA affraid affraid   Forgot to post Gold plated eggs.Oh wait I mean brown..

I did buy brown eggs not these and truth be told I can not tell the diff.except brown have hard shells.

6 Re: Does anyone here buy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:17 am

bethk

Admin
the only difference is the color of the chicken that drops them.....

we raised chickens

7 Re: Does anyone here buy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 am

Barbara101

I had some for 2yrs. I moved  to a house in the country after I had 2 horse I was paying for board .Then some how ended up with 4 more and one rescue.I had 5ac. 2 barns and a large coop.

I bought a Palomino Tenn Walker and the guy was moving to Fla.so he gave me his chickens and 2 turkeys.All colors.White red brown and a few smaller ones of black/white.I had brown eggs,blue , green, white.So many eggs ha..

8 Re: Does anyone here buy on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:47 pm

NormM

If the chickens that lay brown eggs and the chickens that lay white eggs and the chickens that lay blue eggs all have the same diet, they will all taste the same.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9 Re: Does anyone here buy on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:16 pm

jetfan27

All true about the eggs. The way to tell if a hen will lay brown or white eggs is to look at their ears. It's a little flap of skin behind the eye. If it is white, like a Leghorn, the eggs will be white. If it has color, usually red, the eggs will be brown. Araucana birds lay eggs that vary from greens to blues. Their ears are colored. And of course like everybody knows, their is no nutritional difference between white and brown eggs.

10 Re: Does anyone here buy on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Bugster2

I bought something interesting that was organic: carrots. I got them at Trader Joe's and they were a bag full of purple, red orange and white. Never had anything other than orange before. I cooked some and some were sweeter than others. Most were just sweet but didn't really have that carrot taste. Maybe if they were eaten raw they might. They won't go to waste.

11 Re: Does anyone here buy on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

DD has a lot of araucana chickens on the farm. They lay blue and green eggs.
Never saw those eggs in the store.
The eggs are better tasting when fresh picked though!.... The yolks are really bright orange color.
Really taste great too!.....

Tina swears the brown eggs taste better than the white ones. I find no difference in taste.

12 Re: Does anyone here buy on Sun May 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Crybaby

Like Norm, if I really need something and the regular is out (or grungy looking), I will buy organic.  Regular produce is expensive enough these days.  Plus even though regulations now exist, I still sometime wonder if things are really organic!  Embarassed

I never found a difference between white or brown eggs, but I sure did enjoy fresh eggs -- the few times I had them!  I'm an egg girl from way back and like them any way you can make them.  I recently had Duck Hash at a super little restaurant that serves brunch from Friday thru Monday (Café Atchafalaya if any of you ever head this way) with perfectly poached eggs on top.  My idea of heaven.  It was absolutely delicious and had been recommended by the bartender where we spent our time waiting for a table.  They have, as most nice places do now, a cocktail menu and I got a Spicy Margarita, which was made with jalapeno-infused excellent aged tequila, fresh lime juice, and housemade bitters.  Talk about good!  She said they only let the jalapeno in the bottle overnight, but it was pretty spicy (really more of a spicy afterbite).  But then I adore spicy food.

13 Re: Does anyone here buy on Mon May 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Niagara Visitor

The yolks get that deep colour when the chickens are outside and get worms and bugs in their diet.

I've had coloured carrots, but was disappointed in the flavour. The extra cost isn't worth it to me unless you want to just have a colourful dish of carrots. I've done the different colours, just cut them into cute little circles, steam them, then just cut some fresh parsley on top for effect. They make a lovely very simple presentation.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum