Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Family Get-Together

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Family Get-Together Empty Family Get-Together Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of Dane's sisters is coming to visit the family this weekend so we'll all be getting together for a pot luck meal. The sister visiting is a vegetarian so I decided to make Farfale Alfredo with a marinara to spoon on top. I think the pasta with just the alfredo is a little too rich so that's why I add a nice fresh marinara. I've got the marinara cooking today so it'll be all set to pack up to travel. Later (after I go to the grocery store) I'll get the alfredo, actually my 'faux alfredo', a parmesan cream sauce, made so it will just have to be warmed and mixed with the cooked farfale.

I got assigned (maybe 'suggested' is a better word) dessert. Easy. So I'm going to make a pineapple upside down cake with the crushed pineapple like I did the last time. That was so much easier to serve than the pineapple rings. And, since NO gathering is complete without something chocolate, I figure I can make a Texas Sheet Cake because that's always a winner.

I know there will be pulled pork, fried chicken, macaroni salad and fruit salad, along with homemade breads & homemade pickles. After one family get-together you figure out what the family standards are and who brings what. Once in a while there is a 'surprise' but it's in addition to what is expected.

2Family Get-Together Empty Re: Family Get-Together Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Family Get-Together 11023892_1585646548342782_8678887601206080389_n

Chocolate Texas sheet cake.

3Family Get-Together Empty Re: Family Get-Together Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

THAT is gorgous! Mine will arrive in a half-size sheet pan.

Good enough. LOL

4Family Get-Together Empty Re: Family Get-Together Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:One of Dane's sisters is coming to visit the family this weekend so we'll all be getting together for a pot luck meal.  The sister visiting is a vegetarian so I decided to make Farfale Alfredo with a marinara to spoon on top.  I think the pasta with just the alfredo is a little too rich so that's why I add a nice fresh marinara.  I've got the marinara cooking today so it'll be all set to pack up to travel.  Later (after I go to the grocery store) I'll get the alfredo, actually my 'faux alfredo', a parmesan cream sauce, made so it will just have to be warmed and mixed with the cooked farfale.

I got assigned (maybe 'suggested' is a better word) dessert.  Easy.  So I'm going to make a pineapple upside down cake with the crushed pineapple like I did the last time.  That was so much easier to serve than the pineapple rings.  And, since NO gathering is complete without something chocolate, I figure I can make a Texas Sheet Cake because that's always a winner.

I know there will be pulled pork, fried chicken, macaroni salad and fruit salad, along with homemade breads & homemade pickles.  After one family get-together you figure out what the family standards are and who brings what.  Once in a while there is a 'surprise' but it's in addition to what is expected.

Sounds like there is gonna be a great time, and a lot of food. Enjoy! ...
BTW... that Pineapple Upside Down Cake is the way to go; with the crushed pineapples. Umm! I could taste it now. I gotta make one soon in my square electric frying pan.

I remember in the 60's.... the electric frying pans were the thing, bbeside the tst tst tst tst tst....Jiggle Pressure Cooker.
I was like 19 when I made a pineapple upside down cake in that frying pan. The recipe came with the booklet that came with the pan. It was delicious but I guess there were no crushed pineapples in the can back then?
I was amazed that a cake could be baked in a frying pan! hahahahaha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum