Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 ))

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 16]

76 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Barbara101

Roasted whole head of cauliflower.

77 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:

carrot tart

Who's Coming For Supper?? ...
"...............
Razz "BUGS BUNNY?" Razz

Really.... Looks Great! .... Any Cheese Under Those Carrots??

True Story... "Hide The Carrots"...
When Mom was a little girl...she hated carrots. When they sat to eat, she would look at her dad...( Mean Child Beater / Drunken Idiot ) and when he would not appear to be looking at her, she would grab the carrots from her dish, and paste them underneath the table. She would eat and gag on some, but whatever she can paste, she pasted under the table.

When they all finished, and were ready to clean up their own dishes, he asked Mom,"Are You Finish Eat?" .... She said, "Yeah Pop!" .... He said, "Wait!"

He took her dish, and scraped the pasted carrots from under the table, and said,"You No Finish!" """EAT"""" No
And she said she had to eat the cold mashed carrots, and then got a beating for lying, and punished for pasting the food! ..... For the rest of her life, she never ate carrots. affraid

78 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Barbara101

5 large carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
2 tbsp butter
3 sprigs thyme
pinch of kosher salt
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
puff pastry (1 sheet, defrosted)

Heat the butter in  a 9" cast iron skillet and add the carrots and thyme leaves.
Cook until the carrots are browning and caramelized, turning them a few times, about 12-15 minutes. Season w/ kosher salt.
Place in a wheel shape,then cover with puff pastry.
bake 350 for 30 minutes.turn over when a little cool.

79 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Bugster2

Jimmy, I never understood adults who forced children to eat foods they didn't like. We had a teacher that would make us eat the orange peels off an orange. When I saw that, I told my mother never to pack fruit in my lunchbox. I knew a kid who's parents forced him to eat his green beans. He promptly threw them up all over the dining table. I hope that changed their ways.

80 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:42 pm

Bugster2

We had salmon, Caesar salad and bread. Jimmy, I made your RK treats. You were right. They stay soft and slightly gooey. Very good. Thanks for the recipe. It is a keeper.

81 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:44 pm

NormM

Slow cooker Boston pork roast, salad, home made fries, and store bought stuffed crab. The recipe for fries said they tasted like McDonalds and they did.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

82 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We had salmon, Caesar salad and bread. Jimmy, I made your RK treats. You were right. They stay soft and slightly gooey. Very good. Thanks for the recipe. It is a keeper.

Oh Great!.... I'm so glad! I'll bet DH and the Roomy will like them. Unless they have to power to resist eating any!

I was sitting here with Tina the other night, and we were finishing up the rice crispy treats. There was one piece left, and I grabbed it and wolfed it down. I said,"Hon, I ate it because I know you gave up candy for lent!!"
She gave me a dirty look, and said, "Oh! Yeah?" .... For that I will force you to eat Turkey Bacon for breakfast tomorrow. And chicken lunch meat from the Oscar Mayer pre-packaged! tongue

83 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Slow cooker Boston pork roast, salad, home made fries, and store bought stuffed crab.  The recipe for fries said they tasted like McDonalds and they did.

Any leftover pork, would make a great sandwich with mayo. or cranberry sauce and stuffing. Gee do I sound hungry??

The fries from McDonalds used to be so good before they started using the No trnans fat oils. We would have our own food like burgers and hot dogs, and Run To McDonalds for like 4 large fries.
Now...the fries are limp and horrible tasting. Wendy's fries are much better.

Stuffed Crab....looks awesome.

84 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:5 large carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
2 tbsp butter
3 sprigs thyme
pinch of kosher salt
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
puff pastry (1 sheet, defrosted)

Heat the butter in  a 9" cast iron skillet and add the carrots and thyme leaves.
Cook until the carrots are browning and caramelized, turning them a few times, about 12-15 minutes. Season w/ kosher salt.
Place in a wheel shape,then cover with puff pastry.
bake 350 for 30 minutes.turn over when a little cool.

Barb.... Your cooking is getting Front Page reviews from Me and Tina.
The carrot tart sounds, and looks so good. I am going to make something similar for my DIL and DD....Using pizza dough! ...

Thanks for the show and inspiration. Idea

85 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:24 am

NormM

These fries were good like they used to be.

86 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:11 am

Barbara101

Barb.... Your cooking is getting Front Page reviews from Me and Tina.
The carrot tart sounds, and looks so good. I am going to make something similar for my DIL and DD....Using pizza dough! ...

Thanks for the show and inspiration. Idea

Thank you Jimmy and Tina.It just came to me whole looking at the one sheet of puff p and half bag of carrots that did not have fur growing on them.lol.I almost used brown sugar.
I did not have anything to use ,no fruit,Nothing.

seems you could use broccoli with some cheese IDK .oh and anything now that I think about it.

87 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:39 am

Bugster2

NormM wrote:These fries were good like they used to be.

Got a recipe for us Norm?

Also, does anyone own a French fry cutter?

88 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:50 am

NormM

I don't have a french fry cutter. I didn't make them often enough to think it was worthwhile but I may look for one now.

The recipe is: cut the fries pretty close to 1/4 inch square and put in water for a couple minutes.  Put about 4 cups of water in a big pot and add 2 Tablespoons of regular salt and 2 Tablespoons of any kind of white vinegar; add the fries and bring to a boil.  Boil for 5 minutes, drain, spread out on a dishcloth and allow to dry.  Meanwhile heat a deep frier to 375.  Working in batches, fry the fries for ONE minute, remove, drain.  Bring frier back to temperature and continue until whole batch is fried. (might as well make a lot all at once)  At this point it is important to freeze the fries.  When ready to eat them, bring oil back to 375 add potatoes for 3 minutes, remove, salt and serve.

89 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:59 am

Bugster2

I was just looking at fry cutters on Amazon. Looks like the only good ones are expensive and I just don't make enough fries to justify the expense. I did have an idea to use my spiral cutter instead and cut the potatoes into shorter lengths. Thanks for the recipe Norm. Copied and pasted to my recipe file. The 99 cent store has a 10lb bag of potatoes on sale for 99 cents. I may pick one up and play around with your recipe. I don't really have a deep fryer but I will figure something out.

90 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:46 pm

bethk

Admin
1965 !

Let's have a show of hands for everyone who remembers some of the standard meals of the year....

I've got 'game night' tonight so I'm making something for Dane I do not believe he's eaten SINCE 1965.....

Tuna Noodle Casserole.

Made the old fashioned way - noodles, canned tuna, cream of mushroom soup thinned with a bit of milk, cheddar cheese and smashed potato chips for the topping.

Sure hope he likes it.

91 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Barbara101

bethk wrote:1965 !

Let's have a show of hands for everyone who remembers some of the standard meals of the year....

I've got 'game night' tonight so I'm making something for Dane I do not believe he's eaten SINCE 1965.....

Tuna Noodle Casserole.

Made the old fashioned way - noodles, canned tuna, cream of mushroom soup thinned with a bit of milk, cheddar cheese and smashed potato chips for the topping.

Sure hope he likes it.

how funny,just the other day, I was fixin tuna fish and said to myself,gosh I should make tuna casserole,

92 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Barbara101

I had planned on grilling today but I talked myself out of it.72`'

I stuffed some chicken breast with pear and brie,Made sliced potato in my CI skillet. Prepped , Will roast later.

93 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Bugster2

I remember pot roast, spaghetti, pork chops, steak. What I remember most was my uncle's ham. He used to smoke it on a Weber and it was the best thing I had ever tasted. It was also around that time I had my first piece of See's candy. It was a chocolate buttercream egg. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was also the first time I had a warm glazed donut. Incredible! It was also the time when McDonald's fries were 12 1/2 cents.

94 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:1965 !

Tuna Noodle Casserole.

Sure hope he likes it.

I know I wouldn't like it! Mom made it once for me and brother, and we both threw it up! .... She blamed it on the cream. Yuck!!

How about "Sputniks"?.... AKA "Porcupine Meatballs"... The meatballs with the rice sticking out of them cooked in tomato soup.

95 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:08 pm

bethk

Admin
I was just talking about Sputnik Meatballs with a friend of mine. (aka: Porcupine Meatballs)

We were thinking of having a 1968 Potluck and see what happens.....

96 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Barbara101

97 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:25 pm

bethk

Admin
What a gorgous set-up. You do great work!

98 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Barbara101

bethk wrote:What a gorgous set-up.  You do great work!

that and I have to much time on my hands

99 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:26 pm

bethk

Admin

He says it still tastes the same.....

(I don't know if that means it's good or if he still doesn't like it. LOL)

100 Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was just talking about Sputnik Meatballs with a friend of mine.  (aka: Porcupine Meatballs)

We were thinking of having a 1968 Potluck and see what happens.....

Beth, don't forget the FonDue...

We have the old Orange Fondue Pot in the attic somewhere. And it says With Teflon Coating. Wowwwww!!!..... I think we used it once for a cheese fondue ...Half of the food on the spears fell off into the melted cheese. Tina said it was more of a mess and packed it away.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum