Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I had dried peas & beans

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 I had dried peas & beans on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:22 am

Barbara101

on my list to buy..Holy Cow they have gone up affraid affraid pale No No 

Not even a lb bag  $3.Gosh making pot of soup & then pot of beans used to be so cheap..
Then again so did buying wings for chicken soup.Now I buy a whole one for it.Over $3 lb for them when whole chx is .89lb.

2 Re: I had dried peas & beans on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:38 am

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:on my list to buy..Holy Cow they have gone up affraid affraid pale No No 

Not even a lb bag  $3.Gosh making pot of soup & then pot of beans used to be so cheap..
Then again so did buying wings for chicken soup.Now I buy a whole one for it.Over $3 lb for them when whole chx is .89lb.

Yeah, but beans are still pretty cheap when you think number of servings for the price.  Plus, they're filling as all get out! Plus, I love bean salad and now bean salsa so I usually have a decent amount on hand.

Brian makes the BEST chicken wings which he first brines (it makes all the difference when that meat inside is seasoned as well as the outsides) and then grills on a two-level fire on the Weber.  It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe that we fell in love with many years ago, even though it's a lot of work on the grill and in the heat!  But I wait til those puppies are on sale.  We occasionally see wings for $1.29 per pound and recently snagged some for $.89/pound, believe it or not.  Like you, I used to make chicken broth from the wings but not anymore!  Every once in a while we buy those baked grocery-made chickens to make chicken salad or for some other use and those carcasses are saved in a bag along with any chicken bones I end up having from other chicken dishes.  And, of course, he smokes chickens and turkeys often (you should check out the price of turkeys off-season down here -- yikes!) affraid

3 Re: I had dried peas & beans on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:52 am

Barbara101

Boy oh boy.. Shocked No   I am going to stop buying that cheap whole $4.chickens..I have seen what is going on to chickens ,,,yikes.

No way will I be buying $$$$$$$$$$ 25. chickens tho lol.

I have 5 or 6 chickens in my freezer too.When that is gone , no more.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum